PDA

View Full Version : Trichord Research

CardinalFang
2005-07-25, 08:31
Hi all,

I'm in touch with Trichord Research who do a number of very good clock and PSU updates for CD players in the UK. I've asked if they could update the Squeezebox and they came back with a couple of questions, which I hope someone here could answer for me. Hopefully this is the correct forum as it is about an audiophile upgrade.

Firstly, the PSU supplies 5V, what is the required ampage? Is it 1.5-2A as I heard elsewhere? Is it better to overspecify this, or doesn't it matter?

Trichord represent in the UK a new type of PSU called the Never Connected PSU (www.never-connected.com) I had also looked at other PSUs (thanks to other board members) but this one works well with their clock upgrades.

Secondly, do you know what frequency the original clock is? Also - does the original clock circuitry run from the 5V rail, or is at 3.3V?

Sorry if this is all on a FAQ somewhere...

thanks

Paul

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-26, 00:45
1) The PSU supplied is 5VDC/2A although I measured consumption at less than 1A. If you overspecify the PSU the only thing it will hurt is your pocket.

2) There are two clocks: 256x 44.1KHz & 256x 48KHz (11.2896MHz & 12.288MHz).

3) The clock circuitry runs at 3.3V.

CardinalFang
2005-07-26, 01:16
1) The PSU supplied is 5VDC/2A although I measured consumption at less than 1A. If you overspecify the PSU the only thing it will hurt is your pocket.

2) There are two clocks: 256x 44.1KHz & 256x 48KHz (11.2896MHz & 12.288MHz).

3) The clock circuitry runs at 3.3V.

Thanks - that is very useful. Since each clock update is expensive, I plan to just upgrade one of the clocks and use that solely. I'll let you know how I get on!

Paul

CardinalFang
2005-07-27, 03:20
Thanks - that is very useful. Since each clock update is expensive, I plan to just upgrade one of the clocks and use that solely. I'll let you know how I get on!

Paul

Just to update anyone who is interested, Trichord are investigating the Squeezebox after I contacted them with a view to clock and PSU upgrades. I'll let you know what they say as they also believe there are other upgrade possibilties. They work wonders with CD transports, so I'm looking forward to their response.

It's quite a testament to the Squeezebox that this is possible - not many other manufacturers would support modding.

Paul

gandt
2005-07-27, 06:46
Quite interested in what they do and what the results are so do post again.I got an improved power supply from Russ Andrews and would say - cautiously - that i got my money's worth (c80) - not a revelation but some tightening of the bass and increas in slam but on balance I suspect that its going to be hard to utterly transform the box because its pretty good already. Indeed I think i prefer it to my 600 audiophile cd player. Nevermind the convenience. The trouble is to be really objective when you invest in a tweak - you Want it to sound loads better!

Andrew L. Weekes
2005-07-28, 08:38
Just to update anyone who is interested, Trichord are investigating the Squeezebox after I contacted them with a view to clock and PSU upgrades. I'll let you know what they say as they also believe there are other upgrade possibilties. They work wonders with CD transports, so I'm looking forward to their response.

Make sure they get one in their hands before offering solutions, since without actually doing that first it's impossible for Trichord to know what improvements you can gain from their advice.

Andy.

CardinalFang
2005-07-29, 01:22
Make sure they get one in their hands before offering solutions, since without actually doing that first it's impossible for Trichord to know what improvements you can gain from their advice.
Andy.
That's exactly what they're doing - in fact they told me that that's the way they wanted to do it, so I have every confidence that they are a reputable company and won't offer untested solutions. I asked if they could look at the Squeezebox for me and they ordered one the same day and they also started working out PSU requirements etc.

Paul