PDA

View Full Version : slimtray.exe not working

Colin Reilly
2005-07-24, 09:01
I downloaded the latest slimserver version 6.1.1 to my Win XP PC with 256 mb of ram. Squeezebox2 works OK and takes the new version, but the web interface won't start. I get an error " the file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel". I tried going to slim tray.exe in the slimserver folder but it won't start from there either. I get nothing. I tried downloading the software again but the same occurs. Any ideas folks ?

Colin

dean
2005-07-24, 10:56
Colin,

What happens if you open your web browser to:

http://localhost:9000/

Also, when you say "the web interface won't start" exactly what item/
icon/menu are you using to open that up?

On Jul 24, 2005, at 9:01 AM, Colin Reilly wrote:

>
> I downloaded the latest slimserver version 6.1.1 to my Win XP PC with
> 256 mb of ram. Squeezebox2 works OK and takes the new version, but
> the
> web interface won't start. I get an error " the file does not have a
> program associated with it for performing this action. Create an
> association in the Folder Options control panel". I tried going to
> slim tray.exe in the slimserver folder but it won't start from there
> either. I get nothing. I tried downloading the software again but
> the
> same occurs. Any ideas folks ?
>
> Colin
>
>
> --
> Colin Reilly
>

Colin Reilly
2005-07-24, 14:35
If I point my browser at http://localhost:9000/ it works OK. If I use the Slim Server shortcut on the desktop I get the error I described above. It worked OK with the previous version, so I don't know what could have changed.

Colin

Dick Sternum
2005-07-24, 15:45
Your not leaving the desktop / QuickLaunch shortcuts there from the old install are you?

I had the same issues going from 5.4 - 6.1 leaving my original shortcuts in place. Once I removed them and re-installed (therefore creating new ones) it all worked fine.

dean
2005-07-24, 15:53
If you get properties on the problematic icon, what does it say the
target is?

On Jul 24, 2005, at 2:35 PM, Colin Reilly wrote:

>
> If I point my browser at http://localhost:9000/ it works OK. If I use
> the Slim Server shortcut on the desktop I get the error I described
> above. It worked OK with the previous version, so I don't know what
> could have changed.
>
> Colin
>
>
> --
> Colin Reilly
>

Colin Reilly
2005-07-24, 16:53
The target is "C:\Program Files\SlimServer\SlimTray.exe" --start

Colin

vidurapparao
2005-07-24, 17:18
Colin,

What happens if you double click on the SlimTray icon on the botton
right of your toolbar? If you get the same error, try going to your
SlimServer installation directory (c:\Program Files\SlimServer for most
people) using Windows Explorer and looking for a file called "SlimServer
Web Interface". Do you get the same error when you double click on it?
What icon does it have?

Thanks,
--Vidur

Colin Reilly
2005-07-24, 18:04
It gives the same error. It has the Squeezebox icon. The only thing that works right now is if I open the browser and point it to http://localhost:9000/ Seems like the link is broken somehow.

Colin

mdrosy
2005-09-06, 22:01
I installed SlimServer 6.1.1 on a server running Windows 2003 Server (SP1) Standard Edition.

SlimTray.exe starts running at starup, as it is supposed to. When I doubleclick the SlimTray.exe taskbar icon, it says "SlimServer Starting" -> but it never starts. slim.exe does not show in the task manager, and (obviously) it's not available via the web client (and nothing is listening on "netstat -a" on port 9000.

If I manually start slim.exe, it opens a cmd (DOS) window, and the service (slim.exe) runs great, but if I close the DOS window, the service stops as well (logically).

How can I get SlimTray.exe to actually start slim.exe?? Is it a Win 2K3 server compatibility issue?

Thanks,
Marc

Craig, James (IT)
2005-09-07, 02:04
Do you have a SlimServer service installed? (check in the 'services'
GUI)
SlimTray is just trying to start this.

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

mdrosy
2005-09-07, 07:46
No, it is not running as a service. I noticed that earlier. All I did was run the 6.1.1 installer - how do I create the SlimServer Service so that it runs in the "Services" GUI?

Thanks for your help!
~marc

Craig, James (IT)
2005-09-07, 07:56
The installer should do it automatically...
Maybe it's different for Windows Server - Did you install as a user with
admin rights?
Probably worth searching the forum for this.

James

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

mdrosy
2005-09-07, 08:04
James,

Yeah, I did install as a user with admin rights. I will try un-installing and re-installing as the ACTUAL administrator user (as opposed to my profile which has admin rights) and see if that helps. I'll write back in a few minutes.

~marc

mdrosy
2005-09-07, 08:13
James,

It worked! I guess that was it - I needed to be logged in as the actual Administrator instead of as a user with Admin rights.

Thanks again,
Marc

Craig, James (IT)
2005-09-07, 08:18
Hmmm. I am not sure. But at least you got it working!

James

JJZolx
2005-09-07, 09:51
James,

Yeah, I did install as a user with admin rights. I will try un-installing and re-installing as the ACTUAL administrator user (as opposed to my profile which has admin rights) and see if that helps. I'll write back in a few minutes.
Is there still a step in the Windows SlimServer installation wizard that asks if you'd like to have SlimServer started automatically (or something to that effect)? If so, some folks have said 'no' without realizing that the answer to the question controls whether or not the server is installed as a service.

Craig, James (IT)
2005-09-08, 02:09
Given that the Slim Tray Tool now starts SlimServer via the service I
had assumed the installer always creates the service,
And the "start automatically" tick box is just controlling the startup
type of the service?

I've not checked this, but if it's not the case it would be a bug.

James