PDA

View Full Version : performance during scanning (6.1.1)



Pooh22
2005-07-24, 00:05
Hi all

yesterday I "upgraded" to 6.1.1 hoping it would be more stable than the
6.0.x I was running (I'v a SB1 wired), however it didn't improve :-(

I set the thing scanning the music library (60+GB), but it was impossible to
listen to music while it was doing that, so I had to stop the music (first
time that has ever happened with the SB!). On my xosview window there seem
to be regular bursts of activity with minor dips (95% full 5% dip) in the
CPU0 section (hyperthreading). This is on Mandriva 2005, so it may be that
slimserver expects multithreading capability which is disabled in Mandriva's
Perl. But I don't see why scanning is done in the same process as the music
server....

And the scanning takes forever, I restarted the server, but it's now used 5
hours of CPU time, that can't be normal!

I figure I must be doing something really wrong or it's a bug...

Cheers

Simon

mherger
2005-07-24, 00:15
> And the scanning takes forever, I restarted the server, but it's now
> used 5 hours of CPU time, that can't be normal!

Do you have symbolic links or playlists in your music folders?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Pooh22
2005-07-24, 07:28
On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 09:15:18AM +0200, Michael Herger wrote:
> >And the scanning takes forever, I restarted the server, but it's now
> >used 5 hours of CPU time, that can't be normal!
>
> Do you have symbolic links or playlists in your music folders?

no symlinks, but quite a few (old) m3u files in album directories. But I was
under the impression that slimserver only looks in its playlist directory
for them?

Anyway, the slimserver process is still going now at over 11 hours :-(

this can't be good...

/Simon

Dan Sully
2005-07-24, 07:42
* Simon Oosthoek shaped the electrons to say...

>no symlinks, but quite a few (old) m3u files in album directories. But I was
>under the impression that slimserver only looks in its playlist directory
>for them?
>
>Anyway, the slimserver process is still going now at over 11 hours :-(
>
>this can't be good...

Can you run the 'strace' & lsof commands on the pid of SlimServer?

Eg:
lsof -p <pid>

strace -p <pid> -o outputfile.txt

And send the output? strace will accumulate data in the background - so let
it run for about 30 seconds, and then Ctrl-C it.

Thanks.

-D
--
<fuz> deregulation will lead to greater competition, consumer choice, and lower prices.
my name is elmer fudd. I own a mansion and a yacht.

Pooh22
2005-07-24, 13:24
On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 07:42:41AM -0700, Dan Sully wrote:
> * Simon Oosthoek shaped the electrons to say...
>
> >no symlinks, but quite a few (old) m3u files in album directories. But I
> >was
> >under the impression that slimserver only looks in its playlist directory
> >for them?
> >
> >Anyway, the slimserver process is still going now at over 11 hours :-(
> >
> >this can't be good...
>
> Can you run the 'strace' & lsof commands on the pid of SlimServer?
>
> Eg:
> lsof -p <pid>
>
> strace -p <pid> -o outputfile.txt
>
> And send the output? strace will accumulate data in the background - so let
> it run for about 30 seconds, and then Ctrl-C it.
>

Just to finish the thread on the list, this turns out to be bug 1826.

aparently m3u files generate an infinite loop when the name of the m3u file
is in the file itself.

Cheers

/Simon

Dan Sully
2005-07-25, 09:20
* Simon Oosthoek shaped the electrons to say...

>Just to finish the thread on the list, this turns out to be bug 1826.
>
>aparently m3u files generate an infinite loop when the name of the m3u file
>is in the file itself.

I fixed this yesterday btw.

-D
--
There was supposed to be a big kaboom.