PDA

View Full Version : Not impressed with 6.1

rds
2005-07-23, 19:50
I just installed 6.1.1 and I can't say I'm too impressed.

1) The biggest problem is with the 'Browse Music Folder' function. When you right arrow on an .m3u playlist, it just says 'Empty' instead of displaying the contents and allowing a selection. The 'Browse Music Folder' function should provide full access to music AND playlists. The 'Browse Playlists' feature on 6.0 did exactly that. Unfortunately, the new 'Browse Playlists' function in 6.1 is completely useless because it just dumps all playlists into a single list. How are you supposed to easily navigate through hundreds of playlists that display without any regard to directory structure, listener (e.g. me, wife, kids) or playlist type (e.g. music, talk, comedy, radio, etc.)??? In a nutshell, 'Browse Music Folder' needs to be fixed to allow selection of playlist entries, and 'Browse Playlists' needs to be fixed to, at least optionally, respect directory structure.

2) An option really needs to be provided somewhere to suppress the display of file extensions on playlists (.m3u) and folder shortcuts (.lnk). Not too elegant for an appliance-type device to be displaying things like "Talk & News Radio.m3u".

3) It would have been nice if Bug 1398 could have been fixed in 6.1. While this bug is cosmetic in nature, it is often mistaken for a defective display. When I show my SB2 to others, I'm often asked what the flickering on the side of the display is. I believe Slim Devices should give this bug higher priority because it reflects badly on the SqueezeBox itself when it is thought to be a hardware defect.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1398

4) One last thing: It could be my imagination, but the date/time screensaver when using huge fonts appears to have shifted up several pixels instead of being vertically centered in the display (as in 6.0). Looks very odd, like the clock digits are hanging from the top of the display with too much black on the bottom. Has this changed, or am I dreaming?

radish
2005-07-23, 20:40
The patch can be downloaded here: http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/SlimServer_v6.0.2/

:)

The browse music folder has been talked about a lot - people were complaining it was too slow so it was made faster, now people are complaining it doesn't do as much as it used to. Personally I never use it so I can't comment, but maybe the two modes should be made switchable so everyone's happy.

4) One last thing: It could be my imagination, but the date/time screensaver when using huge fonts appears to have shifted up several pixels instead of being vertically centered in the display (as in 6.0). Looks very odd, like the clock digits are hanging from the top of the display with too much black on the bottom. Has this changed, or am I dreaming?

I hadn't noticed this, but yes it is top-aligned on mine too.

Maditude
2005-07-23, 21:28
3) It would have been nice if Bug 1398 could have been fixed in 6.1. While this bug is cosmetic in nature, it is often mistaken for a defective display. When I show my SB2 to others, I'm often asked what the flickering on the side of the display is. I believe Slim Devices should give this bug higher priority because it reflects badly on the SqueezeBox itself when it is thought to be a hardware defect.
Whew, I'd just noticed this on one of my SB2's, glad to hear it is not the display going bad!

Phillip Kerman
2005-07-23, 22:18
> > 3) It would have been nice if Bug 1398 could have been fixed in 6.1.

How do you get this flicker to appear? I don't think I've seen it.

Thanks,
Phillip

Triode
2005-07-24, 02:59
>> 4) One last thing: It could be my imagination, but the date/time
>> screensaver when using huge fonts appears to have shifted up several
>> pixels instead of being vertically centered in the display (as in 6.0).
>> Looks very odd, like the clock digits are hanging from the top of the
>> display with too much black on the bottom. Has this changed, or am I
>> dreaming?
>

I don't think there are any relavent changes in 6.1 vs 6.0 here. The font files http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/Graphics/
have not changed for a few months [unless you are using customised ones]. The rest of the code would struggle to shift by anything
other than in units of 8 pixels [1 byte]

Maditude
2005-07-24, 03:26
> How do you get this flicker to appear? I don't think I've seen it.

For me anyways, it only seems to happen on one of my two wired SB2's. Set the size to either the small or medium, and the brightness to any setting other than the dimmest (or off altogether). And have the date/time screen-saver active. There's three little dots that blink rapidly, exactly as the picture attached to said bug indicates. Dunno why it's only happening on one of my sb2's.

rds
2005-07-24, 07:47
> One last thing: It could be my
> imagination, but the date/time
> screensaver when using huge fonts
> appears to have shifted up several
> pixels

Oops, it was my imagination. I decided to revert back to 6.0.2 after SlimServer crashed when doing a rescan on playlists only. It definitely seems that 6.1 is not yet ready for prime time.

Dan Sully
2005-07-24, 07:51
* rds shaped the electrons to say...

>Oops, it was my imagination. I decided to revert back to 6.0.2 after
>SlimServer crashed when doing a rescan on playlists only. It definitely
>seems that 6.1 is not yet ready for prime time.

That crash message would help. Complaining into a black hole serves no one.

-D
--
<fuz> deregulation will lead to greater competition, consumer choice, and lower prices.
my name is elmer fudd. I own a mansion and a yacht.

rds
2005-07-24, 08:21
> That crash message would help.
> Complaining into a black hole
> serves no one.

I agree, but in frustration I blew away 6.1 before thinking of that. I was right in the middle of trying to listen to a radio program when it crashed (I was adding that particular station to my playlist) so I was more concerned with getting back up and running with something stable as quickly as possible. I kept my old 6.0.2 folder, so I just had to rename it and revert to the previous firmware.

rds
2005-07-24, 08:37
> That crash message would help.

I found an entry in the Application Event log. See here for details:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=45392#post45392