PDA

View Full Version : Skipping/seeking no longer working in 6.1



gurpal2000
2005-07-21, 16:18
Hi,

I just upgraded to 6.1 s/w + f/w. It seems i can no longer seek (2x, 4x, etc) thru MP3s anymore.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Should I submit a bugzilla entry?

Thanks,

vidurapparao
2005-07-21, 16:36
It's related to the bitrate problem discussed in http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15211. We have a fix getting tested right now.

gurpal2000
2005-07-24, 07:40
It's related to the bitrate problem discussed in http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15211. We have a fix getting tested right now.

Do you know if the patch can be applied before the next release?
Does anyone know the bugzilla ID for this bug? This is a loss of major functionality and i'm not impressed by this failure on the part of Slim Devices.

radish
2005-07-24, 08:11
It's already in - http://www.slimdevices.com/su_changelog.html - 6.1.1 was released a couple of days ago.

gurpal2000
2005-07-31, 04:44
It's already in - http://www.slimdevices.com/su_changelog.html - 6.1.1 was released a couple of days ago.

Well I installed this and it's still not working like before (6.0.2). There is a noticeable delay before the skipping actually starts. What is going on with the codebase? Is anyone doing any thorough testing?

gurpal2000
2005-08-10, 12:19
Well I installed this and it's still not working like before (6.0.2). There is a noticeable delay before the skipping actually starts. What is going on with the codebase? Is anyone doing any thorough testing?

Any improvement? This is pretty serious. I am embarrassed to show my friends that this is a great piece of hardware, oh except that skipping doesn't work.

Ben Sandee
2005-08-10, 12:29
On 8/10/05, gurpal2000 <gurpal2000.1tkc3b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> gurpal2000 Wrote:
> > Well I installed this and it's still not working like before (6.0.2).
> > There is a noticeable delay before the skipping actually starts. What
> > is going on with the codebase? Is anyone doing any thorough testing?
>
> Any improvement? This is pretty serious. I am embarrassed to show my
> friends that this is a great piece of hardware, oh except that skipping
> doesn't work.

Maybe if you ask louder and make more demands and snide comments. I
guess they should apologize for holding a gun to your head and forcing
you to upgrade from 6.0.2 and then again holding a gun to your head
and not allowing you to downgrade.

Did you file a bug report on your pet issue?

oreillymj
2005-08-10, 15:27
Make sure you force a firmware upgrade by press-and-holding the brightness key.

I upgraded to 6.1.1 to fix this issue and at first noticed nothing.

I forced the FW upgrade & presto, it was fixed.

The FW to fix the issue didn't get a rev, so the SB didn't auto upgrade.

gurpal2000
2005-08-12, 12:38
On 8/10/05, gurpal2000 <gurpal2000.1tkc3b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> gurpal2000 Wrote:
> > Well I installed this and it's still not working like before (6.0.2).
> > There is a noticeable delay before the skipping actually starts. What
> > is going on with the codebase? Is anyone doing any thorough testing?
>
> Any improvement? This is pretty serious. I am embarrassed to show my
> friends that this is a great piece of hardware, oh except that skipping
> doesn't work.

Maybe if you ask louder and make more demands and snide comments. I
guess they should apologize for holding a gun to your head and forcing
you to upgrade from 6.0.2 and then again holding a gun to your head
and not allowing you to downgrade.

Did you file a bug report on your pet issue?

My comments may annoy some, but the fact is i've paid for a product that has decreased in quality over an upgrade. Upgrades tend to have better firmwares/software in case you didn't notice.

gurpal2000
2005-08-12, 12:39
Make sure you force a firmware upgrade by press-and-holding the brightness key.

I upgraded to 6.1.1 to fix this issue and at first noticed nothing.

I forced the FW upgrade & presto, it was fixed.

The FW to fix the issue didn't get a rev, so the SB didn't auto upgrade.

I'm sure I did that, but I'll give it another go! Cheers

kdf
2005-08-12, 12:56
On 12-Aug-05, at 12:38 PM, gurpal2000 wrote:

>
> My comments may annoy some, but the fact is i've paid for a product
> that has decreased in quality over an upgrade. Upgrades tend to have
> better firmwares/software in case you didn't notice.
>

you also have the option of downloading nightly builds with fixes of
this type. there are stable builds and experimental builds depending
on your needs, in case you hadn't noticed:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

of course, feel free to ignore that if you'd prefer to just be snide.

-kdf

gurpal2000
2005-08-13, 02:50
On 12-Aug-05, at 12:38 PM, gurpal2000 wrote:

>
> My comments may annoy some, but the fact is i've paid for a product
> that has decreased in quality over an upgrade. Upgrades tend to have
> better firmwares/software in case you didn't notice.
>

you also have the option of downloading nightly builds with fixes of
this type. there are stable builds and experimental builds depending
on your needs, in case you hadn't noticed:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

of course, feel free to ignore that if you'd prefer to just be snide.

-kdf

I tried the firmware upgrade and it worked. There, simple. My fault for not reading the FAQ. My fault for trying to be "snide" (had to look that one up on dictionary.com).

I retract all my comments. The Squeezebox is superior technology - that's why i bought it.

Chances are i'll come back into the forums under a new ID. I'm too embarrassed.

Signing off...

Marc Sherman
2005-08-13, 06:15
gurpal2000 wrote:
>
> I tried the firmware upgrade and it worked. There, simple. My fault
> for not reading the FAQ. My fault for trying to be "snide" (had to
> look that one up on dictionary.com).

To be fair, the fact that they shipped a new firmware with an old
version is a bug -- I was kind of surprised they didn't follow up with a
quick re-release that just bumped the version number, personally.

- Marc, who seems to fall into a part-time CM role at every dev job he
has...

dean
2005-08-13, 07:58
You are right, even minor changes should be identified with a new
firmware version, even if it is in a nightly release.

We'll try to do this in the future.

On Aug 13, 2005, at 6:15 AM, Marc Sherman wrote:

> gurpal2000 wrote:
>
>> I tried the firmware upgrade and it worked. There, simple. My fault
>> for not reading the FAQ. My fault for trying to be "snide" (had to
>> look that one up on dictionary.com).
>>
>
> To be fair, the fact that they shipped a new firmware with an old
> version is a bug -- I was kind of surprised they didn't follow up
> with a
> quick re-release that just bumped the version number, personally.
>
> - Marc, who seems to fall into a part-time CM role at every dev job
> he has...
>

tgoldstone
2005-08-13, 08:57
Well I was promised a pony when I bought mine and all I got was a little pony. This is obviously not what was promised and I want a pony! I think that Slim Devices should buy a real-life pony for everyone who owns a Squeezebox. That would make them all happy.

P.S. I think my dog ate my pony.

kdf
2005-08-13, 09:26
On 13-Aug-05, at 2:50 AM, gurpal2000 wrote:
>
> Chances are i'll come back into the forums under a new ID. I'm too
> embarrassed.
>

its an outspoken lot, but forgiving. you shouldn't worry too much
about it.

glad you have it fixed.

-kdf

Marc Sherman
2005-08-13, 09:53
tgoldstone wrote:
> Well I was promised a pony when I bought mine and all I got was a little
> pony. This is obviously not what was promised and I want a pony! I
> think that Slim Devices should buy a real-life pony for everyone who
> owns a Squeezebox. That would make them all happy.

You think you got it bad, I started this whole pony thing, and just
because I happen to be perfectly content with my SB1g (still running
5.4.1, no less!), I never got a pony! :)

Yeah, I know, the visualizers on the SB2 are pretty cool looking, but my
9 month old daughter is completely mesmerized by the rotating text on
the SB1g Now Playing screen, so I see no need to upgrade. Seriously, I
should post a photo, she just stares at the thing when we're listening
to music. It's better than TV!

- Marc

Marc Sherman
2005-08-19, 04:55
Marc Sherman wrote:
>
> You think you got it bad, I started this whole pony thing, and just
> because I happen to be perfectly content with my SB1g (still running
> 5.4.1, no less!), I never got a pony! :)
>
> Yeah, I know, the visualizers on the SB2 are pretty cool looking, but
> my 9 month old daughter is completely mesmerized by the rotating text
> on the SB1g Now Playing screen, so I see no need to upgrade.
> Seriously, I should post a photo, she just stares at the thing when
> we're listening to music. It's better than TV!

Thanks, guys. To quote my wife when she opened the package for me
yesterday while I was at work, "That is one creepy ass pony." I think
she found the sunken eyes a bit unsettling. :)

- Marc

Patrick Dixon
2005-08-19, 05:14
Well I was promised a pony when I bought mine and all I got was a little pony. This is obviously not what was promised and I want a pony! I think that Slim Devices should buy a real-life pony for everyone who owns a Squeezebox. That would make them all happy.You _really_ don't want one of those: my wife has one and apart from the work and the expense there's always something going wrong. Too much grass and the thing gets laminitis, too little and you worry about colic. And then there's the attitude problem and the arthritis ... trust me, the Slim Devices version is much better!

dbls
2005-08-19, 11:27
----- Original Message -----
From: "Marc Sherman"
>
> Thanks, guys. To quote my wife when she opened the package for me
> yesterday while I was at work, "That is one creepy ass pony." I think
> she found the sunken eyes a bit unsettling. :)
>

If she finds the sunken eyes unsettling, have her try
squeezing (!) the pony.

It adds a whole new dimension to the term "creepy ass".

-:- dbls

Marc Sherman
2005-08-20, 06:29
dbls wrote:
>
> If she finds the sunken eyes unsettling, have her try
> squeezing (!) the pony.
>
> It adds a whole new dimension to the term "creepy ass".

Blech! Now I get it.

A friend of mine had a keychain like that. Only it was a little bit
naughtier than a pony.
http://projectile.ca/photos/archive/2003/ottawa/103-0325_img.jpg.html

- Marc