PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a learning SB remote?

mike_zandvliet
2005-07-18, 13:36
If my SB2 remote could turn on my receiver and change the input selector on it, I could run everything from just the one remote and I'd be a happy man. Of course, I could just buy a universal remote and train it, but I like the simple & dedicated layout on the SB2 remote.
Who else is out there that would like to be able to buy (as an optional upgrade) an SB2 remote with a couple of extra buttons that could be trained to do functions on other equipment?

DrNic
2005-07-18, 14:52
I don't think that a few extra buttons would do justice to controlling your other audio devices - there will always be another function that you will want to add later!!
I use a Pronto - and its infinately customisable and now replaces my 7 OEM remotes, its even wife friendly (if you program it that way!!)

Nic

dean
2005-07-18, 15:02
Well, the plan is that the headphone jack on SB2 will be able to
drive an IR blaster.

That way the remote doesn't have to change, but SlimServer will be
able to send whatever kind of IR you'd like....

Jim
2005-07-18, 17:13
mike_zandvliet wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the
> results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15159
> Question: Who wants a learning SB remote?
>
> - I'd buy one, but no more than $20
> - I'd buy one, but no more than $50
> - I'd buy one, but no more than $100
> - Nope, not interested at all
> - Future versions of the SB should have this as standard
>
> If my SB2 remote could turn on my receiver and change the input selector
> on it, I could run everything from just the one remote and I'd be a
> happy man. Of course, I could just buy a universal remote and train it,
> but I like the simple & dedicated layout on the SB2 remote.
> Who else is out there that would like to be able to buy (as an optional
> upgrade) an SB2 remote with a couple of extra buttons that could be
> trained to do functions on other equipment?

I personally have no interest in another remote, but a file with clean
codes for use on the Philips Pronto would be most welcome.

As Dean pointed out, IR blasting in coming, which will make the SB2
itself a universal remote.

radish
2005-07-18, 18:23
Happy with my Harmony. I have a number of devices which came with learning remotes (such as my cable box, dvd player, etc). All of them are significantly lacking in one way or another, and thus not truly universal. The Harmony is the only one I've found which is both universal and usable (can't get on with the Pronto at all).

Milhouse
2005-07-19, 00:50
My Pioneer AV receiver came with a learning remote - first thing I did was teach it the codes for my TiVo, Sony DVD and original SLIMP3... since then I've upgraded the Slimp3 to an SB2 and now SBG2, and the remote control for the last 2 has never been taken out of it's bag!

I don't think a learning remote should be supplied by Slim Devices - there is plenty of choice out there if you want one, many owners most probably already have one courtesy of their AV receiver. Nowadays pretty much any decent (> 500/$800) AV receiver comes with a basic learning remote. If SD were to supply a learning remote it would have to be the best thing since sliced bread (with a price to match) otherwise they'll be criticised for supplying a sub-standard remote when compared with Logitech/Harmony, All-in-One, Phillips etc. - they'll never please everyone, so why bother trying?

I'd much rather the styling of the SBG2 were improved rather than waste time and effort on a learning remote - recent reviews of the SBG2 have slated it's looks when comparing with the Roku, and frankly I wish it were better looking too :)

Bart
2005-07-19, 08:35
I see no need for a learning remote (unless maybe just a few programmable buttons?), but I would like a better designed remote. I like the simplicity of the existing remote and use most of the buttons, unlike many remotes where many of the buttons are never used. However the Slimdevices remote is too symetrical - picking it up in the dark it is difficult to get a clue as to which way up it is, and the buttons are rather small.
A redesign to make it bigger and better shaped to use without looking would be welcome - but not more complicated just for the sake of it.

sposthuma
2005-07-19, 09:58
Ditto on the Harmony. It controls my entire setup, PVR, cable box, Squeezebox, receiver, DVD player and TV. Does everything that is needed *and* is simple enough to be used by the wife. Nuff said!

Bruce Hartley
2005-07-19, 14:23
personally I use a Pronto type (Marantz RC9200) remote.
It does everything for me.

I thing setting up the IR blasting from the squeezebox would be a much more flexible option, then a few extra buttons on a learning remote.

DrNic
2005-07-19, 16:49
I personally have no interest in another remote, but a file with clean
codes for use on the Philips Pronto would be most welcome.

Jim
There is a pronto ccf on the "community" > "plugins" section of the slimdevices site that claims to be a clean hex version of the squeezebox codes for prontos. I have used this on my Pronto but have since found that it is anything but clean pronto hex!!
The direction key hex codes are truncated and do not have correct repeating sections and as such will not scoll with increasing speed as the OEM remote does.
I have used makehex with the JVC codeset to make totally clean codes for the pronto and these work like a treat!!