PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer on ReadyNAS600

WSLam
2005-07-18, 10:20
Infrant released a new firmware for their ReadyNAS600 NAS last week. Along with the upgrade is an optional component users can upload to the ReadyNAS. SlimServer 6.02!

Finally, a VERY easy way to run SlimServer in a NAS without any hacking.

The process is very simple. Upgrade your firmware as usual, then download the additional SlimServer component. Upload SlimServer like the firmware. The ReadyNAS needs to reboot twice (after firmware upgrade, then SlimServer).

Upon the second bootup, SlimServer will be up and running! The whole process took me less then 10 mins.

http://www.infrant.com/support.htm#download

It's just 6.02 as usual! Seems to work very well.

My only gripe now is to find a way to truly silence the ReadyNAS. Any idea?

This surely is a great way to run SlimServer. JAVA takes up too much resources on Windows desktop imo. I much prefer to run SlimServer on another computer other then the one I use day to day...

ws

mac
2005-07-18, 15:19
This surely is a great way to run SlimServer. JAVA takes up too much resources on Windows desktop imo. I much prefer to run SlimServer on another computer other then the one I use day to day...Very cool. The more platforms Slimserver runs on the better. Btw, Slimserver is a Perl application (wish is was written in Java). Cheers, mac.

WSLam
2005-07-18, 23:59
Oh right, Perl. My mistake.
But anyway, it's very cool. I just need to do a little DIY to do a fanless enclosure for 4HDD...

Jeff Moore
2005-07-19, 12:48
2005-07-18-18:19:41 mac:
> Slimserver is a Perl application (wish is was written in Java).

Eww! That's the direst of foul heresy. Wash your mouth out.

jenma
2005-08-08, 10:45
While I'm configuring Slim on the NAS, I encountered 2 questions:

1) How do I refer to my Itunes Library in the D drive of my computer in Slim?

2) Is it possible to display Chinese? I have all my songs names, NAS and my browser's encoding set to Unicode (UTF-8) but I still see questions marks everywhere.

Thanks!

kdf
2005-08-08, 11:02
Quoting jenma <jenma.1tgilb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> While I'm configuring Slim on the NAS, I encountered 2 questions:
>
> 1) How do I refer to my Itunes Library in the D drive of my computer in
> Slim?

This is hard to answer without more details. ReadyNAS is linux-based (I
believe) so you can SMBmount (if that's an available option), but then you
still have to deal with mapping all the itunes path references throughout the
library. You can copy the xml file to the musicfolder, and use server
settings->itunes to map the paths, but you wont get the same live itunes
updates on changes. I'll have to leave this to those linux users who actually
work with iTunes. I tend to deal with it only as a test case.

> 2) Is it possible to display Chinese? I have all my songs names, NAS
> and my browser's encoding set to Unicode (UTF-8) but I still see
> questions marks everywhere.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15573&highlight=unicode

-kdf

shermoid
2005-08-08, 16:18
i am jumping on this bandwagon BIG TIME!!! the one thing that i was wishing for was a NAS server that ran the slimserver software. i have been using a fastora NAS-T4 for about 3 months, and just found out this morning that infrant's ReadyNAS 600 will run slimserver - so i sold my fastora to a colleague (who is not running slimserver) and ordered a ReadyNAS. :) it'll be very, VERY cool to not have to turn on the pc in oder to have music.

does anyone know if you can just point a browser to the address of the ReadyNAS, and have the slimserver come up just like it does on the pc? i imagine there would have to be some sort of web server on the ReadyNAS, and perhaps that's part of infrant's upload image when you upload their slimserver application.

and, can you make and edit playlists right on the NAS? or, do you have to use a pc for that?

are there any other nuances to watch out for if you're using just the NAS box, and not the pc?

thanks to all who will post replies to these questions. :)

best regards,
-sherman

JJZolx
2005-08-08, 18:32
i am jumping on this bandwagon BIG TIME!!! the one thing that i was wishing for was a NAS server that ran the slimserver software. i have been using a fastora NAS-T4 for about 3 months, and just found out this morning that infrant's ReadyNAS 600 will run slimserver - so i sold my fastora to a colleague (who is not running slimserver) and ordered a ReadyNAS. :) it'll be very, VERY cool to not have to turn on the pc in oder to have music.

does anyone know if you can just point a browser to the address of the ReadyNAS, and have the slimserver come up just like it does on the pc? i imagine there would have to be some sort of web server on the ReadyNAS, and perhaps that's part of infrant's upload image when you upload their slimserver application.

and, can you make and edit playlists right on the NAS? or, do you have to use a pc for that?

are there any other nuances to watch out for if you're using just the NAS box, and not the pc?

thanks to all who will post replies to these questions. :)
I'm receiving a ReadyNAS 600 later this week, but I hadn't planned on running SlimServer on it - I just want it for media storage. I'll probably play with SlimServer running on the ReadyNAS just to see what it can do.

It should work pretty much the same as SlimServer running on a computer, complete with web interface. My biggest reservations about the Infrant installation of SlimServer are that you can't load any plugins that Infrant doesn't include in the installation, you have no direct access to the SlimServer installation files, and you can't do nightly or SVN updates. Infrant didn't even install all of the standard skins on their first release of 6.0. They've recently released 6.1 and 6.1.1 and they're listening to customers for feedback, so later releases may be a bit more flexible.

Another reservation I have about running SlimServer on these appliances is that they have limited CPU horsepower. They may be "acceptable" speed-wise (and I suspect the ReadyNAS is more powerful than the other devices that can run SlimServer) but it remains to be seen how they'll perform with very large libraries. For me I think it'll be worth investing $500-$800 for a dedicated box to run SlimServer, plus maybe some other server based stuff.

shermoid
2005-08-09, 07:00
It should work pretty much the same as SlimServer running on a computer, complete with web interface. My biggest reservations about the Infrant installation of SlimServer are that you can't load any plugins that Infrant doesn't include in the installation, you have no direct access to the SlimServer installation files, and you can't do nightly or SVN updates. Infrant didn't even install all of the standard skins on their first release of 6.0. They've recently released 6.1 and 6.1.1 and they're listening to customers for feedback, so later releases may be a bit more flexible.

Another reservation I have about running SlimServer on these appliances is that they have limited CPU horsepower. They may be "acceptable" speed-wise (and I suspect the ReadyNAS is more powerful than the other devices that can run SlimServer) but it remains to be seen how they'll perform with very large libraries. For me I think it'll be worth investing $500-$800 for a dedicated box to run SlimServer, plus maybe some other server based stuff.

hi JJ,

thanks for this helpful info! in my case, it's not a problem if no other plugins are available - i use slimserver right out of the box, with the default skin. and, not having access to the slimserver files is similarly no sweat. as long as it plays music, that's really all i care about. :)

i was wondering if you know about the database functions of slimserver. it must be that some type of database software either lives on the ReadyNAS, or is part of infrant's image. else, how could you add new music to your library? :) do you know how this database function is handled?

and lastly, do you know what would happen if my pc was turned on, and now there are two copies of slimserver running simultaneously? naturally, i could turn off the automatic loading of slimserver when linux boots up, but it might be nice to have access to it occassionally. would the whole system "get confused" if two slimservers were running?

thanks in advance for your guidance! i appreciate learning as much as i can about this great, new technology and what you can do with it ...

kind regards,
-sherm

BillC
2005-08-09, 08:17

I'm very new to the SlimServer so I'm not a great resource - I do have SlimServer running on my ReadyNAS however. There is an image of SlimServer available on the Infrant website. You download it to a local machine and then the ReadyNas software has a facility for uploading updates that will install the SlimServer. Reboot the ReadyNAS and you're running. Infrant has an application for talking to their box but you can also simply use a web interface at ip.address/admin. For the slimserver, you simply supply the port interface, by default, ip.address:9000

From there, you're simply interacting with SlimServer. A few skins are included, I haven't played around with too much.

Most of the ReadyNAS boxes come with 128MB of RAM. The Infrant engineers had made the claim that not much performance improvements happened above 256MB before they began to distribute SlimServer. They haven't done much work yet with SlimServer but they suggested that more memory was probably a good idea, especially if you were using jumbo frames and gigabit ethernet. It was pretty cheap so I just dropped a 512MB DIMM into the box.

My music library is about 150 GB, FLACs and high bit rate MP3 and performance is fine.

Infrant has a forum linked off the support page of their website and they are very quick to respond to any sort of questions.

ackcheng
2005-08-09, 08:23
I have exactly the same setting. There is no problem with two slimserver
running at the same time. All you need is setup your SB2 to the
slimserver you want. Just pull out the power and reconnect the SB2 and
it will look for the slimserver again. You can choose manual setup then.
You can also use computer control. Just type the ipaddress:9000 and you
will find the slimserver on that ipaddress.

Hope this helps!

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of shermoid
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:01 PM
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Re: SlimServer on ReadyNAS600

JJZolx Wrote:
> It should work pretty much the same as SlimServer running on a
computer,
> complete with web interface. My biggest reservations about the
Infrant
> installation of SlimServer are that you can't load any plugins that
> Infrant doesn't include in the installation, you have no direct access
> to the SlimServer installation files, and you can't do nightly or SVN
> updates. Infrant didn't even install all of the standard skins on
> their first release of 6.0. They've recently released 6.1 and 6.1.1
> and they're listening to customers for feedback, so later releases may
> be a bit more flexible.
>
> Another reservation I have about running SlimServer on these
appliances
> is that they have limited CPU horsepower. They may be "acceptable"
> speed-wise (and I suspect the ReadyNAS is more powerful than the other
> devices that can run SlimServer) but it remains to be seen how they'll
> perform with very large libraries. For me I think it'll be worth
> investing $500-$800 for a dedicated box to run SlimServer, plus maybe
> some other server based stuff.

hi JJ,

thanks for this helpful info! in my case, it's not a problem if no
other plugins are available - i use slimserver right out of the box,
with the default skin. and, not having access to the slimserver files
is similarly no sweat. as long as it plays music, that's really all i
care about. :)

i was wondering if you know about the database functions of slimserver.
it must be that some type of database software either lives on the
ReadyNAS, or is part of infrant's image. else, how could you add new
music to your library? :) do you know how this database function is
handled?

and lastly, do you know what would happen if my pc was turned on, and
now there are two copies of slimserver running simultaneously?
naturally, i could turn off the automatic loading of slimserver when
linux boots up, but it might be nice to have access to it
occassionally. would the whole system "get confused" if two
slimservers were running?

thanks in advance for your guidance! i appreciate learning as much as
i can about this great, new technology and what you can do with it ...

kind regards,
-sherm

--
shermoid

"you are only young once, but you can be immature forever"
"life is uncertain; eat dessert first" - anonymous

please visit my mcintosh website: http://alumni.cse.ucsc.edu/~sherman