PDA

View Full Version : 6.1b2 Track count bug

oreillymj
2005-07-16, 09:01
I've noticed that the track count in the latest beta to be way off reality.
I have 5209 mp3 files in my "My Music/MP3" folder according to iTunes.
Windows Explorer reports the exact same figure when I do a search for *.mp3.

Rescans (including wiping the Db) resulted in the following inconsistent results

Your music library contains 641 albums with 5267 songs by 326 artists.

Your music library contains 645 albums with 8268 songs by 327 artists.

Your music library contains 645 albums with 7830 songs by 327 artists.

Clear database - rescan
Your music library contains 645 albums with 8590 songs by 327 artists.

Your music library contains 641 albums with 5267 songs by 326 artists.

I imported the Slimserver.db into MS Access and looked at the contents on the "tracks" table.

It seems that the setting for my music folder was ignored.
My MP3 tracks are here
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Music\MP3
and my playlists are here
C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\My Documents\My Music\Playlists

It seems that the rescan is using My Music as the directory and the playlists it finds in my playlists dir are being expanded as tracks into the tracks table, leading to many duplicates in the database. This results in the track count being so high.

I have 1 playlist called All songs that has about 3000 tracks in it. This is bumping up the track count.

kdf
2005-07-16, 12:05
Quoting oreillymj <oreillymj.1s9seb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I've noticed that the track count in the latest beta to be way off
> reality.
try the nightly builds. some playlist handling has been upgraded since the beta
release.
-k

oreillymj
2005-07-16, 14:15
I've tried last night's nightly and found it to behave the exact same.

Zach Anthony
2005-07-18, 00:54
Since upgrading to 6.1b2 I've also had numerous duplications pop-up in my music list too. Sometimes its whole albums, sometimes its simply all (or most) of the songs within an album. I've got the July 17 nightly build running now and have seen no change in the problem. None of the tracks appear to be duplicated in iTunes.
Something similar happened when I first upgraded to 6.0 but after deleting .m3u files in the music root it went away.

oreillymj, how did you import the db into Access? I'd like to have a poke around in mine too to see if its the same problem you've reported.

oreillymj
2005-07-20, 12:43
Anthony (or is it Zach??)

I'm assuming you're using windows if you are running MS Access.
The database used by Slimserver is SQLlite 3.

Download the Windows ODBC driver here http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/sqliteodbc-win32-0.64.zip

and install it on your system. It will install 3 drivers, i.e. SQLLite3,SQLLite2 & SQLLite 2 UDF

Then create an ODBC DSN called "SlimDB" using the SQLlite 3 driver pointing at this file C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\slimserversql.db

Once this is done, you can create a new Db in MSAccess
Then do File->Get External Data->Import
In the file selector, change "Files of Type" to ODBC Databases, and choose the SlimDb DSN you created. You should then be able to import all the tables from the Slimserver Db.

By the way. Shut down the Slimserver while doing this as I think SQLlite only support Db level locking, so you'll probably get errors if the database is in use by any other app while you try the import.

I've also imported into SQL server and looked at using indexes etc on the tables, but my perl isn't up to the conversion work required.

oreillymj
2005-07-20, 12:52
By the way,
I'm getting closer to the real number of tracks on my system.

I discovered that removing the All songs playlist and rescanning reduced the number of tracks reported by the Web UI.

It would appear that either the playlist scanning code adds on to the track count, or the sql query to get the track count is not able to get the figure correctly from the Db.

kdf
2005-07-20, 13:10
Quoting oreillymj <oreillymj.1shhpn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> By the way,
> I'm getting closer to the real number of tracks on my system.
>
> I discovered that removing the All songs playlist and rescanning
> reduced the number of tracks reported by the Web UI.
>
> It would appear that either the playlist scanning code adds on to the
> track count, or the sql query to get the track count is not able to get
> the figure correctly from the Db.

playlist parsing in 6.1b2 had some problems correcting playlist references into
the needed urls for the db, especially for relative paths. Even stale data was
not always being handled properly. The latest nightlies should be handling
this better.
-kdf

oreillymj
2005-07-23, 05:26
Discovered that the released version 6.1 is the same.

It counts every file (including text files) in the your music directory as valid tracks and adds them to your database.

It also double counts items in playlists as tracks even though they probably reference tracks in your music folder which have already been counted.

Also the playlist code does not validate that any of the tracks in the playlist actually exist.

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-23, 07:29
Then create an ODBC DSN called "SlimDB" using the SQLlite 3 driver pointing at this file C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\Cache\slimserversql.db I liked this bit - couldn't figure out how to do it though!

Also the driver download only appear to install two drivers: an SQLite (version not specified) & a UTF8 version.

Zach Anthony
2005-07-23, 09:45
oreillymj - thanks for the info on setting up a DSN, hadn't thought of that. Like Patrick I found that the file you linked to didn't install a SQLLite3 driver, but this older driver set does: http://www.ch-werner.de/sqliteodbc/sqliteodbc-win32.zip.

I'm using MSSQL and though I should be able to either setup the DSN or directly import using the supplied drivers, I keep getting a username/password error, even on a local copy of slimserversql.db. Prob an issue on my system, so I've given up for now - but at least I've got this far should I want to try again in future.

Meanwhile I've done a complete reinstall of 6.1b2. Duplication seems to be at a minimum, but I might try one of the nightly builds based on what Patrick said.

Thanks again.

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-23, 10:05
but I might try one of the nightly builds based on what Patrick said.Actually I think it was Kevin (kdf), but I know the db side is improving all the time.