PDA

View Full Version : bigger antenna improvements?



dijon
2005-07-15, 09:13
my wireless SB1 is 2 floors away from base station and usually has a signal
strength of about 20-22% - does anyone know how much of an increase i would
get if i replaced its antenna with a high gain one? i've been getting
dropouts, slimserver disconnects etc..

thanks

fuzzyT
2005-07-15, 09:22
dijon wrote:
> my wireless SB1 is 2 floors away from base station and usually has a signal
> strength of about 20-22% - does anyone know how much of an increase i would
> get if i replaced its antenna with a high gain one? i've been getting
> dropouts, slimserver disconnects etc..

can't say exactly how much signal strength % a given antenna would give,
but here are some things to try. the antenna template might give you
enough boost on it's own and is basically free.

Two strategies:
1) Increase the link bandwidth
-deal with channels, interference etc.
-use antenna reflector (see link)
-use high gain antennas
-upgrade both ends to 802.11g (using SB2 or adapter to wired)
2) Reduce link traffic
-transcode to lower bitrate for the affected SB1

antenna reflector template:
<http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/>
many others available.

--rt

dean
2005-07-15, 09:32
I agree a reflector is a great first step.

I played with larger antennas at one point and didn't have much luck.

The thing that solved my coverage problems at home was a Belkin Pre-N
router.

Vidur's house benefited from the Pre-N router from Netgear.

I'm in the process of installing a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 here at
the in-laws this week, also seems to provide excellent coverage, but
isn't enough to compensate for a LOT of bricks.



On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:22 AM, ron thigpen wrote:

> dijon wrote:
>
>> my wireless SB1 is 2 floors away from base station and usually has
>> a signal
>> strength of about 20-22% - does anyone know how much of an
>> increase i would
>> get if i replaced its antenna with a high gain one? i've been getting
>> dropouts, slimserver disconnects etc..
>>
>
> can't say exactly how much signal strength % a given antenna would
> give, but here are some things to try. the antenna template might
> give you enough boost on it's own and is basically free.
>
> Two strategies:
> 1) Increase the link bandwidth
> -deal with channels, interference etc.
> -use antenna reflector (see link)
> -use high gain antennas
> -upgrade both ends to 802.11g (using SB2 or adapter to wired)
> 2) Reduce link traffic
> -transcode to lower bitrate for the affected SB1
>
> antenna reflector template:
> <http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/>
> many others available.
>
> --rt
>

fuzzyT
2005-07-15, 09:43
dean blackketter wrote:

> The thing that solved my coverage problems at home was a Belkin Pre-N
> router.

Dean,

Does the Pre-N multi-antenna, directionality gain magic also function
for 802.11b connections, or is it just a G thing?

Not disputing, just curious.

--rt

dean
2005-07-15, 09:49
Helped a LOT with the 802.11b card in my Powerbook.

On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:43 AM, ron thigpen wrote:

> dean blackketter wrote:
>
>
>> The thing that solved my coverage problems at home was a Belkin
>> Pre-N router.
>>
>
> Dean,
>
> Does the Pre-N multi-antenna, directionality gain magic also
> function for 802.11b connections, or is it just a G thing?
>
> Not disputing, just curious.
>
> --rt
>

kdf
2005-07-15, 10:03
Quoting dean blackketter <dean (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:

> Helped a LOT with the 802.11b card in my Powerbook.
>

your mileage may vary. When it is working, I do get an extra bar on the meter
with my dlink 802.11b card in my HP. The drawback seems to be that if you ever
have any little slip in service from your ISP, the Belkin will shut off the
internal network as well and takes a while to reset. So, even if its just a
glitch, I still get dumped for nearly a minute.

I used a Linksys WRT54G before, and did not have this problem. However, with
that I couldn't close the door without losing signal to the HP :)

SB signal strength was up a little, but I wasn't really suffering from dropouts
previously either.

-kdf

Greg Klanderman
2005-07-20, 06:28
When did you get your SB1? I got mine in January, and initially had
problems with wireless signal strength which were solved with help
from Rico at Slimdevices support. Here are the relevant emails:

| That's pretty recent so I'm fairly certain your player will have the
| purple colored card.. for some reason one of the sma connectors on the
| card does not provide the same performance as the one on the opposite
| side. Hopefully changing that will improve wireless performance for
| you.

| you may be able to remedy the wireless issues you are having.. use
| it to unscrew the four screws on the bottom of the Squeezebox and
| take the top off the unit. If there is a purple wireless card
| inside, go ahead and disconnect the antenna tail from the wireless
| card and reconnect it to the hole on the opposite side of the card,
| farthest from the display. If the player has a white wireless card
| or if you would rather send it in let me know.

greg

Olaf
2005-10-19, 13:40
Greg Klanderman <gak@...> writes:

>
>
> When did you get your SB1? I got mine in January, and initially had
> problems with wireless signal strength which were solved with help
> from Rico at Slimdevices support. Here are the relevant emails:
>
> | That's pretty recent so I'm fairly certain your player will have the
> | purple colored card.. for some reason one of the sma connectors on the
> | card does not provide the same performance as the one on the opposite
> | side. Hopefully changing that will improve wireless performance for
> | you.
>
> | you may be able to remedy the wireless issues you are having.. use
> | it to unscrew the four screws on the bottom of the Squeezebox and
> | take the top off the unit. If there is a purple wireless card
> | inside, go ahead and disconnect the antenna tail from the wireless
> | card and reconnect it to the hole on the opposite side of the card,
> | farthest from the display. If the player has a white wireless card
> | or if you would rather send it in let me know.
>

I got so fed up with my SB1's poor reception today that I followed the
instructions above. Now I am staring at a white WLAN card with some
interesting hand markings "E" and "1.5.6".

P/N: 9514-3302ISC5
S/N: BF430461100018

Where do I go from here? The thingy looks to me like a standard PCMCIA card.
I have a few of those floating around my household. Do I just replace it? Or
is there anything more clever I can do?

Thanks - ovr.

PS: I know it's a SB1 problem coz I can happily operate any other 802.11b
device in the same locale with perfectly adequate signal strength.

seanadams
2005-10-19, 15:15
Greg Klanderman <gak@...> writes:

>
>
> When did you get your SB1? I got mine in January, and initially had
> problems with wireless signal strength which were solved with help
> from Rico at Slimdevices support. Here are the relevant emails:
>
> | That's pretty recent so I'm fairly certain your player will have the
> | purple colored card.. for some reason one of the sma connectors on the
> | card does not provide the same performance as the one on the opposite
> | side. Hopefully changing that will improve wireless performance for
> | you.
>
> | you may be able to remedy the wireless issues you are having.. use
> | it to unscrew the four screws on the bottom of the Squeezebox and
> | take the top off the unit. If there is a purple wireless card
> | inside, go ahead and disconnect the antenna tail from the wireless
> | card and reconnect it to the hole on the opposite side of the card,
> | farthest from the display. If the player has a white wireless card
> | or if you would rather send it in let me know.
>

I got so fed up with my SB1's poor reception today that I followed the
instructions above. Now I am staring at a white WLAN card with some
interesting hand markings "E" and "1.5.6".

P/N: 9514-3302ISC5
S/N: BF430461100018

Where do I go from here? The thingy looks to me like a standard PCMCIA card.
I have a few of those floating around my household. Do I just replace it? Or
is there anything more clever I can do?

Thanks - ovr.

PS: I know it's a SB1 problem coz I can happily operate any other 802.11b
device in the same locale with perfectly adequate signal strength.

Don't remove the card. If it has two of the small gold antenna connectors, just try moving the black antenna cable to the other one.

There aren't any other compatible wireless cards that would give different performance.

Olaf
2005-10-22, 12:12
> > Where do I go from here? The thingy looks to me like a standard PCMCIA
> > card.
> > I have a few of those floating around my household. Do I just replace
> > it? Or
> > is there anything more clever I can do?
> >
> > Thanks - ovr.
> >
> > PS: I know it's a SB1 problem coz I can happily operate any other
> > 802.11b
> > device in the same locale with perfectly adequate signal strength.
>
> Don't remove the card. If it has two of the small gold antenna
> connectors, just try moving the black antenna cable to the other one.
>
> There aren't any other compatible wireless cards that would give
> different performance.
>

Another attempt at posting this reply (GMANE appears temperamental at times):

I tried the trick with reconnecting the antenna cable - no joy. Is the
wireless interface not the same as in the SB2? I never opened that box but if
it uses a similar but better card, could I not ask SlimDevices to send me one
of those? The SB2 does not suffer from the same poor wireless reception as
the SB1.