PDA

View Full Version : Feature request: Brightness timer

MeSue
2005-07-15, 08:03
I have a suggestions for a feature request. Or maybe it would be better as a plugin.

I'd like to be able to specify the brightness level of "idle" and "power off" modes for specific times of the day. So I could set it to stay dark during the hours of, say, midnight to 7 AM, when it would then return to normal brightness.

That beautiful display is wonderful, but in the bedroom at night it illuminates the room too much for me. With something like this I could fall asleep with the sleep timer on, and not have to reach for the remote to see what time it is in the morning.

Philip Meyer
2005-07-15, 13:40
>That beautiful display is wonderful, but in the bedroom at night it
>illuminates the room too much for me. With something like this I could
>fall asleep with the sleep timer on, and not have to reach for the
>remote to see what time it is in the morning.
I was thinking exactly the same.

My SBG has been consigned to the bedroom. I run all brightness settings on level 1, the minimum level, but it still lights the room up at night in standby mode, so I frequently change to level 0, and as soon as I wake up, I change the level back to 1, so I can see the time. I might see if I can find some dark sticky strips to stick to the front of the display to dull it a bit.

What would also be usefull is to specify the range of brightnesses that can be iterated through. I only ever use a brightness level of 0 or 1 on the bedroom player, so I have to step over levels 2, 3 & 4.

Phil

tgoldstone
2005-07-15, 13:57
Check out the Auto Display plugin on the slim devices plugins page. It might be what you are looking for. It will turn on or off the display at a set time. I use it to turn the display off at night in my bedroom as the display is too bright to sleep by but on again in the morning so I can see the time. It could be tweaked to just dim the display to a lower level also rather than turning completely off.

http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_plugins.html

MeSue
2005-07-15, 15:18
Check out the Auto Display plugin on the slim devices plugins page.
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_plugins.html

Oh, thank you! You know, I looked at all the plugins before, but because of the text formatting on that page when I read about it(both then and now) I thought it said: "Lets you schedule times which your Felix Mueller player's display should be off." I figured I didn't have a "Felix Mueller Player" so I passed it by. Ha!

Looks like lots of other goodies there too.

Olaf
2005-07-20, 14:23
tgoldstone <tgoldstone.1s8bdz@...> writes:

>
>
> Check out the Auto Display plugin on the slim devices plugins page. It
> might be what you are looking for. It will turn on or off the display
> at a set time. I use it to turn the display off at night in my bedroom
> as the display is too bright to sleep by but on again in the morning so
> I can see the time. It could be tweaked to just dim the display to a
> lower level also rather than turning completely off.
>
> http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_plugins.html
>

The same problem's been bugging me with all sorts of illuminated display
gadgets, SB2 being a case in point.

While the s/w solution might go some way to addressing the problem for some
sleepless souls, I would still request a h/w solution: what I would like is
an ambient light sensor in the SB itself; I would then like to be able to set
the display brightness as a % gain on the light sensor's reading.

I don't just have problems with strong display intensity at night. In the
mornings I have got the sun right on the display, and I can't see a thing.

Bart
2005-07-21, 00:25
what I would like is an ambient light sensor in the SB itself; I would then like to be able to set the display brightness as a % gain on the light sensor's reading.
I don't just have problems with strong display intensity at night. In the mornings I have got the sun right on the display, and I can't see a thing.
I have the same problem, and it is made worse by having to step between all the intermediate levels of brightness to get the highest or lowest.
What about some fairly basic code which, knowing your time zone and date, dims the display at night and brightens it 30 minutes after sunrise?

DerekR
2005-07-21, 09:31
I have the same problem, and it is made worse by having to step between all the intermediate levels of brightness to get the highest or lowest.
What about some fairly basic code which, knowing your time zone and date, dims the display at night and brightens it 30 minutes after sunrise?
Fantastic idea! I was thinking exactly the same thing last night as I finally got my bedroom player back up and running.

Is this a possibility then?

MeSue
2005-07-22, 06:42
For the record, the Auto Dim Display plugin that was suggested in this thread hasn't been working too reliably for me, so this is still on my wish-list.

tgoldstone
2005-07-22, 12:15
Hmmm. I haven't had problems with it. Can you provide some more information? slimserver version, plugin version, what kinds of problems you have been having with it? I haven't tested it with 6.1.1 yet, but that will happen this weekend.

MeSue
2005-07-22, 13:09
It doesn't seem to dim the display unless I am actually playing music at the time it is set to go off. Then a lot of times I have woken up in the middle of the night to find the display glaring when it shouldn't be on yet.

I go to sleep at different times most nights so I usually end up setting the player to sleep mode and turning the display of manually. But then almost every night since I installed the plugin, it lights up at random times in the night. Unfortunately, I've never been conscious enough to make note of the times.

I've been having some other problems with SlimServer overnight, so maybe this is related. (A few nights SlimServer has stopped responding when my computer is idle. I notice it in the morning because the clock is stuck. More info in this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15188)

I was using the Slimerver 6.1 beta before, but now I have the 6.1.1 version. The plugin version is 2005/05/11 v0.3.

I think I will disable it for now, until I can be sure the other problem is resolved.

tgoldstone
2005-07-23, 10:03
What screensaver (if any) do you happen to be using? The plugin shouldn't require you to be playing music to dim the display. The plugin will turn the display off but certain activities will turn it back on. It wouldn't do to permanently turn off the display if someone wanted to play music in the middle of the night lets say. It does sound like you are having some other problems as well unrelated to the plugin. I agree you should resolve those first. I'll play with 6.1.1 today and see if I can break it. :)

MeSue
2005-07-24, 11:02
What screensaver (if any) do you happen to be using?

SuperDateTime for off and not playing status. Now playing (jump back on wake) for when playing.

MeSue
2005-07-31, 08:31
The plugin will turn the display off but certain activities will turn it back on… I'll play with 6.1.1 today and see if I can break it. :)

How did it go? Last week I reinstalled 6.1.1 and removed most of the plug-ins. Things have been working fine for several days so I decided to add AutoDisplay.pm back in last night.

I set it to turn the display off at 2 AM, and on at 8 AM. At 2 AM I was still awake and I saw it go off. Shortly thereafter, I pressed the sleep button twice and went to sleep. In the middle of the night the display came on. I used the remote to turn it back off. When I woke up again around 10 it was on so I guess it came on at 8 as scheduled.

But why does it come on in the middle of the night? Do you think when the sleep timer ends and it goes into standby it is turning it back on? (I'll try to test this theory later.) Could I be the only one who uses it in conjunction with the sleep timer? In player settings > display, I have automatic display brightness set to adjust brightness manually, if that makes any difference.

MeSue
2005-07-31, 09:59
I did some experiments and as far as I can tell, if "Brightness when off" is set to anything but 0 (Dark), then the display comes back on when the sleep timer ends and the player turns off. It does it whether brightness adjustment is set to manual or automatic.

tgoldstone
2005-07-31, 13:26
That makes sense. The sleep timer code is probably looking at the default preferences when it triggers and steps on the temporary brightness setting. I could add an additional option to the plugin that would change the 'Off' display brightness to '0' while the display should be off and then return it back to whatever it was originally set to when the display turns back on. I'm in the process of creating a web interface for this plugin and could add the additional option button there. Does anyone have a better idea?

MeSue
2005-07-31, 13:46
Sounds great… thank you!

fcm4711
2005-08-01, 01:58
Tobias

This idea sounds good. I was looking at the plugin today and I think this is the problem MeSue describes. I never tested it together with the sleeping timer. :( But since I didn't want to change the settings for the three brighness modes (power on, power off and idle) this makes sense. As soon as the sleeping timer turns the player off, the 'power off' brightness is applied and this actually turns the display on if not set to 0. So an option would be nice.

BTW: Could you fix the following line (it's almost at the end of the file):

$client->brightness( $client,$brightness);

should be

$client->brightness( $brightness);

I think.

Felix

MeSue
2005-08-03, 08:36
Me again. Since finding the problem with the sleep timer, I have tried removing this plugin, but no matter what I do, it still overrides my manual brightness adjustments. I tried unchecking the box for the plugin in the Server Settings page. Didn't work. Then I re-enabled the plug-in, made sure it was set to off, and then disabled it. Didn't work. Finally, I deleted the AudoDisplay.pm file from the plugins folder and restarted SlimServer. Still, it messes with my brightness settings! The worst is that the sleep timer no longer works like it did before I installed AutoDisplay. I used to set the sleep timer, manually turn the brightness off, and it would stay dark until I manually turned brightness up. Now as soon as the sleep timer ends the display comes back on and wakes me up. Yes, even after deleting the plugin!

Please… How do I completely eliminate it? I am literally losing sleep over this.

fcm4711
2005-08-03, 09:44
Hi MeSue

Sorry to hear my plugin doesn't let you sleep.

Deleting the plugin should be enough to eliminate it. Are you sure you deleted all copies of it? Also renaming it is not good enough. I once had a plugin renamed and installing a new copy gave me very strange results.

If the plugin isn't listed in the Server Settings page anymore then it is successfully removed.

There are three brightness settings per player for on, off and idle. What is your brightness setting when the player is turned off? It should be set to 0.

Felix

kdf
2005-08-03, 09:52
Quoting MeSue <MeSue.1t738n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>

> Please… How do I completely eliminate it? I am literally losing sleep
> over this.

check player settings->display

you can set the brightness adjustments to manual only. That should disable any
automatic changes, such as when the screensaver engages.

-kdf

MeSue
2005-08-03, 11:54
>>you can set the brightness adjustments to manual only. That should disable any automatic changes, such as when the screensaver engages.<<

Yes, that's exactly what I have it on. And it worked before installing this plugin but doesn't work now, even though I've deleted the plugin.

>>If the plugin isn't listed in the Server Settings page anymore then it is successfully removed.<<

Then it is removed, but it must have permanently altered something so that manual brightness no longer works properly.

>>What is your brightness setting when the player is turned off? It should be set to 0.<<

It shouldn't matter what that setting is because I have brightness adjustment set to manually adjust instead of automatic.

I'll probably just do another clean install.

fcm4711
2005-08-03, 13:11
Hi MeSue

> It shouldn't matter what that setting is because I have brightness adjustment set to manually adjust instead of automatic.

That's not entirely true (as far as I know). The 'brightness when off' setting is still used when a player is turned off.

You can try that yourself. Turn your player off and then using the web interface change the settings for 'brightness when off'. You will see the changes on your player. But if you change the settings for 'brightness when on' you won't see a change until you turn your player on.

If this doesn't help - Try the 'Forget this player' option.

Felix

tgoldstone
2005-08-03, 14:10
The worst is that the sleep timer no longer works like it did before I installed AutoDisplay. I used to set the sleep timer, manually turn the brightness off, and it would stay dark until I manually turned brightness up. Now as soon as the sleep timer ends the display comes back on and wakes me up. Yes, even after deleting the plugin!

Please… How do I completely eliminate it? I am literally losing sleep over this.

I don't believe that the autodisplay would alter any other brightness behavior. The only thing that it does is essentially press the brightness button for you until the brightness is set to 0. Without looking at the code for the sleep timer I would guess that it always reset the brightness setting after it triggered.

MeSue
2005-08-03, 16:21
To all: Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, none of them worked. Finally I just did a clean install and it worked the way it did before — once! The second time it lit up after the sleep timer ended. Arrrggggg! Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I'm quite sure that for several days last week, the thing stayed off all night when I used the sleep timer.

The only other thing I changed was that I went from 6.1.1 to 6.1.2 a couple days ago. The reason was because when I would pause and resume, playback would stop after the current track instead of going to the next track. Maybe there was a change in this behavior from 6.1.1 to 6.1.2?

tgoldstone
2005-08-03, 16:31
Well it will be pretty easy to test the sleep timer and autodisplay on my system. I will test it after I get home from work tonight. The web UI and powerOffBrightness control programming is almost done and should hopefully be finished by this weekend...

fcm4711
2005-08-04, 12:45
Hi Sue

When you did the clean install, did you also delete your .slimserver.pref file? Its location depends on your OS and can be found here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#setup-preferencefile

Beware: By doing this, you will also loose all your other settings.

Felix

MeSue
2005-08-04, 14:30
Yes, I deleted the prefs file and had to reset everything. As far as the issue of the display lighting up again after the sleep timer ends… I am stumped. Like I said earlier. I was sure it stayed off all night for several days last week, but now I can't make it happen on 6.1.1 or 6.1.2 unless I manually go to the web setting and set it to 0 before I go to bed at night.

Hmmm… maybe I was turning the display off before hitting the sleep button? Ugh… if that's it I feel like a dork for dragging this thread out.

tgoldstone
2005-08-04, 18:15
FYI: The sleep timer will reset the display to the powerOffBrightness setting when it triggers. This behavior is what I experienced in my test. I am testing my plugin mods now and should hopefully have something to beta in the next day or two.

tgoldstone
2005-08-05, 16:11
I've attached the modded autodisplay plugin. I added a web UI and an override switch for the power off brightness setting. It should save your original setting then reset the power off brightness to 0. When the display turns back on then the power off brightness should be returned to your original settings. Post anything you notice that does not function as you might expect.

MeSue
2005-08-06, 11:49
Thank you! I'll be trying it out tonight.

MeSue
2005-08-07, 12:00
The updated AutoDisplay worked great for me last night. Hooray!