PDA

View Full Version : SB2 purchase in SF by European

jma2
2005-07-13, 01:03
I'll be in San Francisco for a business trip and stay in a Hotel close to Union Square and I might have a little bit of free time to spend.

If I would buy the SB2 while being in SF, will the power supply (appart from the pins) work when I'm back home here in Europe? In other words is the power supply 110-240V / 50 - 60 Hz compatible as with most power adapters I have?

Other considerations to be made except for dealing with customs?

Does someone know a place close to Union Square where I could possibly purchase the SB2?

Roger the Shrubber
2005-07-13, 01:33
I had a friend bring one over and it worked well. No problem with customs. It is not hugely expensive so I guess it should pass as a gift or something anyway. But for me, they didn't check and if they did, I guess the worst would have been they required to pay VAT (BTW), putting the price back at what I would have paid in Europe anyway.

It was delivered to a private adress though, not a hotel, so I'm not sure how that would work. If you have a car and they agree, you could maybe drive there and pick it up yourself. Or have it delivered at your bussiness contact.

Just make sure you put the power plug requirement in a comment on your order; normally they ship those based on delivery adress, not the billing adress. (I made a mistake there, but Slimdevices was very helpful in getting it sorted out!)

Fifer
2005-07-13, 01:48
I think you can bring back goods to the value of 145 duty free provided you do not intend to sell them. Anything over that would attract VAT at 17.5% and duty of somewhere between 0 and 15% depending on how they choose to categorise it. Given that the US price (for a wireless SB2) of $299 is 169.50 at todays rate, is it worth it to save around 20? At least with a UK one, you have the comfort of a retailer to contact in case of warranty and it will come with a 3-pin plug.

seanadams
2005-07-13, 03:00
We can ship to your hotel a couple days before you arrive, and you can pick it up at the front desk. Call them to let them know it's coming, and then order on our web site. (ground shipping takes one day from here to SF).

If you only need a UK power supply, just mention it in the "Notes" section on the order. If you need BOTH a US and a UK power supply, use this page to order:

https://secure.slimdevices.com/order/upgrades.cgi

and select SB2 plus a UK power supply (+$15). The US power supply will be included with the SB2 and the UK ps will be packed separately.

By the way, the US power supply is rated only for 100-120V.
The UK power supply will accept 100-240V, so you can use it in the US with a plug adaptor.

Roger the Shrubber
2005-07-13, 03:15
Some more things to consider (as jma2 seems to be dutch rather then british):
- you need to add the sales (8% ?) tax to the website price (not evident for a European)
- you should search the forum for a promotion code (I didn't)
- VAT is 16-21% in NL/DE/BE
- you definately don't want a 3-pin plug unless your head of state is a queen named Elizabeth

Anyway, consider the risks carefully but I'm a cheapskate and perfectly happy with the way I got mine for 250 EUR.

Aylwin
2005-07-13, 03:17
I had a friend bring back an SB2 for me. No problems with customs or anything whatsoever. It's small and light so it's easy pack in your luggage. I ordered from the Slim Devices website and asked for a European adapter in the "Notes".

Fifer
2005-07-13, 04:48
Some more things to consider (as jma2 seems to be dutch rather then british):
It was morning, I was tired, apologies. However, the gist of my post (VAT, duty, local PSU, local warranty, minimal saving) probably still apply.

- you definately don't want a 3-pin plug unless your head of state is a queen named Elizabeth
The corollary is also true - I definately don't want a head of state who's a queen called Elizabeth, but I do need a 3 pin plug. Sadly, you don't always get what you want.

jma2
2005-07-13, 05:29
Thanks for all the replies.

I had some problems with the customs beginning of the 90's at Zaventem (Brussels) airport when coming back from Singapore. There's not only VAT and import tax but also a "fine" that can be added... if you are a bit unlucky it can become more expensive than ordering from a local shop. I don't know if the same rules still apply now, but there's a risk without any doubt, so I'll certainly consider all options.

Here in The Netherlands you can bring in goods worth a total amount of 175 euro (I suppose this will be the same in the whole euro zone?), before you officially have to declare them.

Maditude
2005-07-13, 08:25
Here in The Netherlands you can bring in goods worth a total amount of 175 euro (I suppose this will be the same in the whole euro zone?), before you officially have to declare them.
Of course, if you were to OPEN it up and plug it in before you packed it back up, you could quite honestly say it was "used"... ;-)

ceejay
2005-07-13, 08:34

... or ... unless you're Irish (though I've not seen much evidence of an Irish presence here)

Ceejay

jma2
2005-07-13, 13:40
Of course, if you were to OPEN it up and plug it in before you packed it back up, you could quite honestly say it was "used"... ;-)

Unfortunately, when they check, they ask you the ticket that proves you bought it in Europe :(
If of course you then would have a ticket for used goods...

Aylwin
2005-07-13, 23:09
That's very good advice! I do that all the time. Whenever I buy electronics abroad (which are small enough to pack in the suitcase) I always leave the boxes and other packing material behind. I always have lots of electronics with me (laptop, camera, mobile, pda, etc.) so whatever I buy just becomes part of the lot.

Unfortunately, when they check, they ask you the ticket that proves you bought it in Europe :(
Really? They must be incredibly strict in Netherlands. I've never encounter such a thing in any of the other countries I've lived in or visited. I mean who actually carries around all the receipts of their gadgets? Besides, no one's ever opened my laptop bag where I keep all my "toys". Mind you, I'm referring to small electronics items that can pass as personal items or those used for work. The SB2 can easily be included as one of those.