PDA

View Full Version : SB2 "error opening file" on some but fine on others

nano2nd
2005-07-11, 04:46
Hi,

I've checked the FAQ and troubleshooting guides and cannot find a solution to this problem.

On some albums/artists, when I browse and hit play, it does not and I get the error message stating the file couldn't be opened. Other albums work fine and they are all stored on the same drive. The files that don't play on the SB2 also work fine from iTunes on the desktop and on my iPod. They are not AAC or purchased tunes - just regular MP3s. Actions I have tried so far:

1. Rescan the library
2. "brute force" - recursive chmod and chown to ensure consistent file permissions and ownerships
3. Toggled the "organise my music" flag off and on in iTunes to make it "reindex" (I don't know what the correct term is)
4. Switch from Slimserver via iTunes to direct file access

None of these made a difference.

I am running Slimserver 6.0.2 on OSX (10.2.8).

Any suggestions from the experts?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

RichardGi
2005-07-11, 06:49
On my Win/XP system (beta 1 server) I had what sounds like a similar problem - the files concerned all had a filetype of "MP3".
"Renaming" the files to a filetype of "mp3" bypassed the problem and they now play fine.

Richard

IPGuy
2005-07-11, 11:35
One other problem to check is if the ones that don't play have any "accented" characters (for example , or ) anywhere in the path or filename. If this is the case, it is an identified bug that hasn't been patched yet relating to the handling of unicode.

mike_zandvliet
2005-07-11, 15:15
I get that message when I am playing a playlist with an out of date path to the music file. Perhaps there is something strange with the path of the file you are trying to play, maybe special characters, accents etc.

nano2nd
2005-07-12, 04:58
Thanks for the feedback guys.

There are no accented characters in the titles as far as I know.

I will check the MP3 versus mp3 issue. I can see how this could be a problem given the Unix base of OSX and it's inherent case sensitivity. If this is the case though, I will be facing some donkey work as I'm assuming the offending files are scattered throughout.:

1. Find offending files and "rename" - a shell script should do here.
2. Wipe song list in iTunes.
3. Re-import music library into iTunes.
4. Rescan from Slimserver

Thanks,
Chris

nano2nd
2005-07-13, 07:59
Well, as much as I *wanted* to believe it was the filename extensions and some case sensetivity type issue - it aint. Within the filesystem, they are .mp3 and within iTunes they are the same.

I'm going to try making some updates to the ID3 tags to see if this forces the files to be picked up again in a Slimserver rescan (as it probably only registers deltas).

Anyone have any thoughts on this?