Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilolee
    • Jul 2005

Stick with SB1 or get SB2?

I have an SB1 used wirelessly with my hifi into a goo quality DAC.

So would I gain any benefit soundwise by getting a SB2?

Cheers

Lee
  • mkozlows
    • Apr 2005

Assuming you're streaming PCM and not getting dropouts: No.

Comment

• lilolee
      • Jul 2005

I'm getting 60% signal strength, but am also just about to buy a repeater. The only time I've had drop out's was when my virus scanner kicked in to do a full disk scan and a large attachmentcame in an email.

So maybe just upgrade the PSU.

Cheers

Lee

Comment

• julian2002
        • Apr 2005

lee,
        ime the sb2 is better suited to use with an external dac than the sb1. the clock / jitter performance of the 2 is miles ahead of the 1 and this seems to be a big determining factor. you could try reclocking the 1 but tbh the cost / effort may not be worth it.
        so on the whole as someone who's tried both in a similar situation i'd say yes the sb2 is a worthwhile step.
        cheers

julian.

Comment

• netim3
          • Apr 2005

SB2 offers huge improvement for digital-out

I upgraded from SB1 to SB2 using the digital coax out into a Linn DAC - notcied a very significant performance improvement.

Comment

• lilolee
            • Jul 2005

You swines, I hate you (well except mkozlows). Now I suppose I had better get one Just don't tell the wife. Well at least they look similar so she will never notice

Comment

• Mike Hanson
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by lilolee
              Just don't tell the wife. Well at least they look similar so she will never notice
              I used the same approach as I climbed the Naim ladder, except that we were talking tens-of-thousands of dollars, rather than a couple hundred. Eventually she suspected something, but she also understood how important it was to me, so it was no big deal. (I have a good wife that way.) It's just too bad that she doesn't share my taste in music.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Comment

• NealG
                • Apr 2005

Lee, as your not a million miles from me I could bring over my re-clocked and re-housed SB1 and standard SB2 for you to hear the differences. I won't hint at which I feel is best, I'll let your ears decide! Drop me an email if interested or PM me over at the WAD BB

Comment

• lilolee
                  • Jul 2005

Neal, would love to. It'll have to be a couple of weeks, maybe 16 or 17th.

Hey Julian, fancy popping down or anyone in the Maidenhead area?

Damn, now it means I'll have to get my tagging right.

Comment

• julian2002
                    • Apr 2005

i could make the 16th or 17th - would prefer the 17th though.
                    cheers

julian

Comment

• lilolee
                      • Jul 2005

17th sounds good to me. About midday? I'll make some food.

Comment

• julian2002
                        • Apr 2005

sounds good - not to carby though

Comment

• lilolee
                          • Jul 2005

Guys

I have double booked myself Sunday, so will have to delay it

Sorry for the confusion

Comment

• julian2002
                            • Apr 2005

no problem.

Comment

• Harry G
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by NealG
                              Lee, as your not a million miles from me I could bring over my re-clocked and re-housed SB1 and standard SB2 for you to hear the differences. I won't hint at which I feel is best, I'll let your ears decide!...
                              Found this thread while trying to decide if I should upgrade to SB2s.

My house is littered with SB1s, all but one wired. While most are in areas where the sonics are irrelivant, two are connected to high quality DACs in rooms where we do seriously listen. I'm wondering if the dig output is meaningfully better on the SB2. Also curious how your moded unit fares.

Have you done the shootout? How did it go?

FYI: For years I've used the "looks the same to wife" method of trading up and upgrading my equipment too.

A chance chat with an older audiophile who used similar methods will always stick with me. He had for years used Audio Research, Theta and Wilson, in part because the look barely changed from year to year. He told me that his wife had died a few years previous to our conversation. That now he could buy whatever component he wanted regardless of matching esthetics but that without her, the new equipment seldom brought him joy.

Comment

Working...