PDA

View Full Version : Many missing songs

brinko99
2005-07-06, 13:48
Hello All,

I have a song collection of about 20,000 songs. My problem is that the database scan does not pick up approx 5000 of the songs on disk. I have tried running the latest 6.1b and 6.0 nightlies.

This has been a problem for me since moving to the 6.0 release.

Are there any limitations to the number of songs or albums by a single artist? One of the artists which I have the most trouble with has ~1400 songs on disk but I see only ~600 songs in the SlimServer database.

I've tried scanning and rescanning and wiping the cache over and over. The machine is a 2GHz P4 with 767MB of RAM under Windows 2000.

Does anyone have any tips for debugging this issue?

Thanks

Dan Sully
2005-07-06, 13:53
* brinko99 shaped the electrons to say...

>I have a song collection of about 20,000 songs. My problem is that the
>database scan does not pick up approx 5000 of the songs on disk. I have
>tried running the latest 6.1b and 6.0 nightlies.
>
>This has been a problem for me since moving to the 6.0 release.
>
>Are there any limitations to the number of songs or albums by a single
>artist? One of the artists which I have the most trouble with has
>~1400 songs on disk but I see only ~600 songs in the SlimServer
>database.
>
>I've tried scanning and rescanning and wiping the cache over and over.
>The machine is a 2GHz P4 with 767MB of RAM under Windows 2000.
>
>Does anyone have any tips for debugging this issue?

brinko99 - can you tell what files are missing? Do they have diacritical
characters in the filename? I checked in some fixes for Unicode related
issues yesterday, which made it into the July 6th nightly build.

What version of the server are you running? The relevant information will be
listed on the bottom of the Server Settings page.

You can also get more debugging info by running with --d_scan debugging
turned on and wiping your db. The logfile available at
http://localhost:9000/log.txt would be useful to us then.

Thanks.

-D
--
<Djall> and I also learned that a meat vortex takes meat away from you.

kdf
2005-07-06, 13:58
Quoting brinko99 <brinko99.1rrmxb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Hello All,

> Are there any limitations to the number of songs or albums by a single
> artist? One of the artists which I have the most trouble with has
> ~1400 songs on disk but I see only ~600 songs in the SlimServer
> database.

There are users with over 100,000 songs. The only limit to slimserver is the
drive space and ram.

> Does anyone have any tips for debugging this issue?

Start by working with a smaller number of songs. Try to find any common aspects
of the missing tracks. a particular format? drive location? multi-language?

make sure permissions are good for all drive locations.
today's nightly has a number of unicode fixes that should help with
multi-language; it needs a full rescan (w/ clear library checked)

other than that, d_info and d_scan debugging flags will show much of the details
of the scanning process. If you run form command line, you can send all of
this to a log file that you can review to see if there are any obvious mesages
why certain tracks arent counted.

for command line:

open command prompt
cd "program files\slimserver\server"
slim.exe --d_info --d_scan --logfile c:\missing.log

-kdf

JJZolx
2005-07-06, 14:06
Hello All,

I have a song collection of about 20,000 songs. My problem is that the database scan does not pick up approx 5000 of the songs on disk. I have tried running the latest 6.1b and 6.0 nightlies.

This has been a problem for me since moving to the 6.0 release.

Are there any limitations to the number of songs or albums by a single artist? One of the artists which I have the most trouble with has ~1400 songs on disk but I see only ~600 songs in the SlimServer database.

I've tried scanning and rescanning and wiping the cache over and over. The machine is a 2GHz P4 with 767MB of RAM under Windows 2000.

How do you have your library stored on disk? Is it all on a single disk or are you using Windows shortcuts to other directories or drives? Any use of network attached storage or network shares on other computers?

Are all of your files fully tagged or are you relying on the guess tags feature?

brinko99
2005-07-06, 18:05
Well well..

I was formulating a very detailed description of my system and it's formatting and layout when I discoved the problem.

My "U2" directory is formatted as such:

X:\mp3\U2\Concerts\U2 - <album>\## - U2 - <song>.mp3
X:\mp3\U2\Misc\U2 - <song>.mp3
X:\mp3\U2\The Singles\U2 - <album>\## - U2 - <song>.mp3
X:\mp3\U2\U2 - <album>\## - U2 - <song>.mp3

Within the directory "The Singles", there was a shortcut for some reason to X:\mp3\U2.

This caused the Slimserver to stop scanning and not pickup anything after that. There were no songs in the database at all after U2.

I don't know if this is expected behavior but clearly not a typical circumstance.

However, I could see the possibility of using a shortcut to somewhere previous in the database for artists who have collaborated with another. For example, I might want to put a shortcut in the U2 folder to a Sinead O'Connor album "Featuring Bono". I don't know if this would cause the Slimserver to recurse or hault or fail. Any opinions?

Thanks to all. As is so often the cause, just "talking" about ones problem can lead to the solution!

JJZolx
2005-07-06, 18:32
Within the directory "The Singles", there was a shortcut for some reason to X:\mp3\U2.

This caused the Slimserver to stop scanning and not pickup anything after that. There were no songs in the database at all after U2.

I don't know if this is expected behavior but clearly not a typical circumstance.

Whether it's expected would have to be answered by the developers. Is scanning halted whenever a circular reference is detected? Seems like it should recover more gracefully.

However, I could see the possibility of using a shortcut to somewhere previous in the database for artists who have collaborated with another. For example, I might want to put a shortcut in the U2 folder to a Sinead O'Connor album "Featuring Bono". I don't know if this would cause the Slimserver to recurse or hault or fail. Any opinions?

How are you thinking SlimServer will pick up and associate the 2nd artist with the track(s)? Once a file is is scanned, it's scanned - it shouldn't matter how you got to the file. Artist information is generally read directly from a file's tags. Or maybe you're referring to using the file path and Guess Tags. Even if SlimServer currently had the ability to associate multiple artists with a single track (which it doesn't, although it's been talked about), I'm fairly sure that you'll never get Guess Tags to recognize a pattern like /ARTIST1/ARTIST2/ALBUM/TITLE.

brinko99
2005-07-06, 18:52
Whether it's expected would have to be answered by the developers. Is scanning halted whenever a circular reference is detected? Seems like it should recover more gracefully.
I don't know if the scanning is actually haulted. I only really know that that no artists are picked up after "U" and no U2 albums are picked up in the directories that follow "Concerts"

How are you thinking SlimServer will pick up and associate the 2nd artist with the track(s)?
Actually, I wouldn't expect the Slimserver to do anything with the second artist association. That type of link (shortcut) would be only for use when browsing the music directories and for use outside of the Slim world all together.

It would be nice if the database scanning didn't choke on these types of links. Low priority of course!

fuzzyT
2005-07-08, 07:40
brinko99 wrote:
> JJZolx Wrote:
>
>>Whether it's expected would have to be answered by the developers. Is
>>scanning halted whenever a circular reference is detected? Seems like
>>it should recover more gracefully.
>
> I don't know if the scanning is actually haulted. I only really know
> that that no artists are picked up after "U" and no U2 albums are
> picked up in the directories that follow "Concerts"

It may well be that the SS didn't stop scanning so much as it got really
busy following it's tail around this shortcut loop. Either way, it
makes sense that nothing past this would have been scanned.

Did you notice that SS was using larger-than-resting amounts of CPU for
long periods of time? Did the web interface ever stop showing the "Your
library is being scanned" message while browsing the library? Those
things would point to a loop.

Developers: Does SS make any attempt to recognize and break out of a
recursive scanning loop?

--rt

Dan Sully
2005-07-08, 09:04
* ron thigpen shaped the electrons to say...

>Developers: Does SS make any attempt to recognize and break out of a
>recursive scanning loop?

Not currently:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=576

-D
--
<noah> the auto mechanic told me there was something wrong with my rear differential.
I told him I never took calculus.