PDA

View Full Version : No pauses between tracks - not a problem!

max.spicer
2005-07-05, 13:44
I'm listening to my first classical work on my SB2 and am really impressed! I ripped the tracks with EAC, so I guess it is responsible for sorting out all the gaps etc, but the SB2 is seamlessly moving between tracks and it's great. The work in particular (Rite of Spring) has been split into tracks, but each track has absolutely no pause between it and the previous track. This is the sort of thing that I would imagine could suffer badly when played via mp3s (well, flac actually), but the SB2 just works. Wonderful!

Thanks to all involved.

Max

cliveb
2005-07-06, 03:51
The work in particular (Rite of Spring) has been split into tracks, but each track has absolutely no pause between it and the previous track. This is the sort of thing that I would imagine could suffer badly when played via mp3s (well, flac actually), but the SB2 just works. Wonderful!
FLAC (and Monkey's Audio, Ogg Vorbis, and no doubt a number of other codecs I don't know about) supports gapless playback as part of the standard. Any device which claims to suport FLAC and *doesn't* provide seamless playback is by definition broken.

MP3 on the other hand does not support gapless. If the last frame isn't filled perfectly, it's padded with silence. If you encode with LAME it will add extra tags that tell the player how much of the last frame to dump in order to achieve seamless playback, but not all devices support those tags. Two I know of that do are Foobar2000 and the Rio Karma. The last time I experimented with MP3 on a Squeezebox, it did not support the LAME tags and hence wasn't seamless. I would imagine that a firmware update might be able to fix that.