PDA

View Full Version : Music Library Sync files

njlmac
2005-07-05, 07:04
Hi,

Has anyone got a nice solution to syncing files from PC to PC? All my encoding & library are residing on a Laptop, but have slimserver running on a desktop. Any new ripping saves locally on Laptop but have now got to a point where I struggle to keep them synced properly doing this manually. All on XP.

regards,

Nick

radish
2005-07-05, 07:17
Open up a command prompt and type "robocopy /?" - that's what I use.

T. J. Angstman
2005-07-05, 07:23
I use rsync on freebsd. It has a windows counterpart called cwrsync.

http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_pag
e&PAGE_id=6&MMN_position=23:23

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of njlmac
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:05 AM
To: discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] Music Library Sync files

Hi,

Has anyone got a nice solution to syncing files from PC to PC? All my
encoding & library are residing on a Laptop, but have slimserver
running on a desktop. Any new ripping saves locally on Laptop but have
now got to a point where I struggle to keep them synced properly doing
this manually. All on XP.

regards,

Nick

--
njlmac

Steve Bernard, Jr
2005-07-05, 07:25
On 7/5/05, radish <radish.1rpa7b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Open up a command prompt and type "robocopy /?" - that's what I use.
>

Robocopy isn't installed by default on Windows XP, in my experience.
It's available for free as part of the Windows Server 2003 Resource
Kit Tools (runs fine on XP) at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

-Steve

ceejay
2005-07-05, 08:54
I now have a very simple windows script file to copy from the ripping PC (could be any of 4 in my house) to the server, and another to clean up afterwards. I'm using Xcopy but could easily be robocopy. Then set up a windows icon to invoke the script, selecting a suitable picture, on the desktop - so its just a simple double click...

The only problem I have with this is that I don't "trust" anyone to have write (ie delete) access to the music library itself, so its on a read-only share. So they all write into an open staging area, from where I copy into the library itself as a separate step. I'd like to figure out a neater way of doing that....

Apteryx
2005-07-05, 23:28
I'm too lazy to bother with robocopy or similar - I found a windows synching utility somewhere (will track down its name when I'm there) - it runs a scheduled job to find and synch changes and new content from the ripping machine (winXP) to the media server (FC3). The ripping machine is also where I tidy tags etc and is also the source for synching my Ipod and Phatbox (in-car system).

Probably effectively the same as Robo..., but nice easy interface