PDA

View Full Version : Odd wireless network problem - any ideas?

Fifer
2005-07-05, 00:28
I've been having some problems with my wireless network which are mainly down to me buying an Actiontec GT701-WG in a moment of weakness (note to self: never again). Frequent router reboots seem to help, but a new peculiarity has got me stumped.

At the weekend, I updated the router firmware to a Qwest specific version as it was much more recent than the generic firmware and I suspected that it might have fixes for some of the problems I was seeing. The firmware seemed to work fine (my PC and laptop connected to the router with no issues and internet connectivity was fine). However, I just could not get the SB to find the Slimserver. Checked and double checked all the settings, forwarded ports, everything seemed fine, but nothing would play. Softsqueeze worked perfectly. I gave up frustrated and went to bed.

Yesterday, I decided to try with WEP turned off and bingo, everything worked. However, turning WEP back on results in Slimserver not being found. I cannot figure this out. The WEP key is correct (it's the one I've been using for the last year and the SB remembered it, so it's not like I've re-entered it incorrectly). The router can see the PC and the laptop with WEP on, but I just cannot get the Slimserver to work. I'm not keen on running with no security. Other than swapping back to the old router firmware, can anyone think of anything else to try? I can't understand why the router firmware would have a WEP problem which only affected the SB. Any ideas?

Niek Jongerius
2005-07-05, 00:43
> Yesterday, I decided to try with WEP turned off and bingo, everything
> worked. However, turning WEP back on results in Slimserver not being
> found. I cannot figure this out. The WEP key is correct (it's the one
> I've been using for the last year and the SB remembered it, so it's not
> like I've re-entered it incorrectly). The router can see the PC and the
> laptop with WEP on, but I just cannot get the Slimserver to work. I'm
> not keen on running with no security. Other than swapping back to the
> old router firmware, can anyone think of anything else to try? I can't
> understand why the router firmware would have a WEP problem which only
> affected the SB. Any ideas?

There have been reports of problems using "difficult" WEP keys. What if
you try to use a simpler key (one which only consists of chars on the
keyboard) or a shorter one? This obviously weakens the already shaky WEP
security, but it might be worth a try.

Niek.

max.spicer
2005-07-05, 04:53
Are you absolutely sure that the SB2 is connected to the network? It often says it is but is in fact lying. Try manually reconfiguring the connection and see if it still claims to be connected. When it is connected, what's its IP address? If it can't get one via DHCP, it allocates itself one in the 169.xxx.xxx.xxx range. This again gives the appearance of having worked, but you stand no chance of talking to other devices on the network.

Max

I've been having some problems with my wireless network which are mainly down to me buying an Actiontec GT701-WG in a moment of weakness (note to self: never again). Frequent router reboots seem to help, but a new peculiarity has got me stumped.

At the weekend, I updated the router firmware to a Qwest specific version as it was much more recent than the generic firmware and I suspected that it might have fixes for some of the problems I was seeing. The firmware seemed to work fine (my PC and laptop connected to the router with no issues and internet connectivity was fine). However, I just could not get the SB to find the Slimserver. Checked and double checked all the settings, forwarded ports, everything seemed fine, but nothing would play. Softsqueeze worked perfectly. I gave up frustrated and went to bed.

Yesterday, I decided to try with WEP turned off and bingo, everything worked. However, turning WEP back on results in Slimserver not being found. I cannot figure this out. The WEP key is correct (it's the one I've been using for the last year and the SB remembered it, so it's not like I've re-entered it incorrectly). The router can see the PC and the laptop with WEP on, but I just cannot get the Slimserver to work. I'm not keen on running with no security. Other than swapping back to the old router firmware, can anyone think of anything else to try? I can't understand why the router firmware would have a WEP problem which only affected the SB. Any ideas?

Fifer
2005-07-05, 05:23
Are you absolutely sure that the SB2 is connected to the network? It often says it is but is in fact lying.
Max, do you mean was it really connected when I turned WEP off? It definitely was as I played music. It's a SB1 BTW, I should have been specific. From memory (I'm not at home), the SB1 is 192.168.0.7, the router is 192.168.0.1 and the PC running Slimserver is 192.168.0.5.

Niek, I'll try a 'simple' key tonight to see if that works.

radish
2005-07-05, 07:21
SB only works with WEP in "shared key" mode, some routers/APs (such as my old SMC barricade) only support "open" mode. It's possible that the firmware update either reset it to open, or disabled shared (it's seen as even less secure than regular WEP). Take a look in the router setup for anything related to that mode.

dean
2005-07-05, 07:41
That's true about the SB1 but the SB2 works with both shared and open
key.

On Jul 5, 2005, at 7:21 AM, radish wrote:

>
> SB only works with WEP in "shared key" mode, some routers/APs (such as
> my old SMC barricade) only support "open" mode. It's possible that the
> firmware update either reset it to open, or disabled shared (it's seen
> as even less secure than regular WEP). Take a look in the router setup
> for anything related to that mode.
>
>
> --
> radish
>

Fifer
2005-07-05, 08:05
radish, I think that's probably it. I'll check when I get home but I suspect that the firmware might not support shared key. Looks like I might need to flash back to the generic firmware. Or buy a new router ...

Fifer
2005-07-05, 10:14
Thanks radish, problem solved. The new router firmware does support shared key but it was set to open and I hadn't noticed. I still think I need a new router though ...

max.spicer
2005-07-05, 12:20
Thanks radish, problem solved. The new router firmware does support shared key but it was set to open and I hadn't noticed. I still think I need a new router though ...
Well don't buy a 3com, whatever you do!

Max

Fifer
2005-07-05, 12:45
Thanks for the warning Max, I don't want to jump from the frying pan to the fire.