PDA

View Full Version : Sound question

MrKegFlex
2005-07-04, 12:00
Received the SB2 a couple days ago and just now had the chance to set it up. Setup was a breeze, so much easier than the other products I have tried up to this point.

I'm currently using 802.11g and have the SB2 talking to the server and feeding audio to my receiver with the digital coax connection. I've tried both flac and wma lossless and I seem to be experiencing a different sound... as in the music isn't as lively and the soundstage is not there. I'm not sure if it's just me but I thought there should be no audio difference with this setup as opposed to using my cd player feed my receiver with a digital coax connection.

Is there some type of conversion in the SB2 that I'm not aware of with this setup?

Also, to get the same sound level before the SB2, I found that I have to have the SB2 volume level set at 11. I'm assuming that is correct if you want all sound control to happen through the receiver.

Thanks!

radish
2005-07-04, 13:35
Go to the web interface, click Player Settings, then Audio, and make sure the "Bitrate Limiting" is set to No Limit. If it's anything else it will be streaming as MP3.

MrKegFlex
2005-07-04, 14:37
Go to the web interface, click Player Settings, then Audio, and make sure the "Bitrate Limiting" is set to No Limit. If it's anything else it will be streaming as MP3.

Thanks for the suggestion but it is already set to No Limit.

sleepysurf
2005-07-04, 19:51
Can you do a comparison of wired vs. wireless? I did a quick comparison last week (FLAC files), and noticed substantial improvement in soundstage and imaging with the wired setup. Not sure why, but thought it might be due to having four 2.4 GHz wireless phones in the house. Theoretically, wireless interference should only produce dropouts (if anything), so I plan to compare further when I have some free time.

MrKegFlex
2005-07-05, 05:32
Can you do a comparison of wired vs. wireless? I did a quick comparison last week (FLAC files), and noticed substantial improvement in soundstage and imaging with the wired setup. Not sure why, but thought it might be due to having four 2.4 GHz wireless phones in the house. Theoretically, wireless interference should only produce dropouts (if anything), so I plan to compare further when I have some free time.

I'm not sure if I will be able to do a wired setup test. I'll have to look at trying to set that test up in the next couple of days but it wouldn't be a long term solution for my setup though. I don't have 2.4 GHZ phones in my house, so that might help eliminate that variable if we are both experiencing the same problem. You could also just unplug your phones for a quick 10 minute test to eliminate that variable... would be interesting.

I wonder why the difference between the wired and wireless setup?

MrKegFlex
2005-07-05, 20:32
I was looking through the file formats and saw the following for flac -

Table layout is :

file format = stream format decoder

FLAC = FLAC (built-in)
FLAC = MP3 flac/lame
FLAC = WAV flac

My default settings are the 1st and 3rd options are active. Should I have the 3rd option with the WAV flac active? I guess I'm wondering if I should only have the 1st option active if I am always using flac lossless files. Am I reading this setup menu properly? How does the server know which to use?

Dumb newbie questions but I couldn't find any specific info about the File Format Conversion Setup in the help files, faq or owner's guide that goes into more detail. Is there an owner's guide for the server menu options that goes into more detail that I'm missing?

kdf
2005-07-05, 20:44
Quoting MrKegFlex <MrKegFlex.1rqb0b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> I was looking through the file formats and saw the following for flac -
>
> Table layout is :
>
> file format = stream format decoder
>
> FLAC = FLAC (built-in)
> FLAC = MP3 flac/lame
> FLAC = WAV flac
>
> My default settings are the 1st and 3rd options are active. Should I
> have the 3rd option with the WAV flac active? I guess I'm wondering if
> I should only have the 1st option active if I am always using flac
> lossless files. Am I reading this setup menu properly?

The file types page shows you which conversions are active and enabled. In the
case of any MP3 output conversions, you will need LAME installed. If not, they
are3 not checked. If you have LAME, then youc an uncheck to specifically
disable any mp3 output conversion. Other conversions can be disabled if you
wish to force a certain type.

> How does the
> server know which to use?

the player makes a request using its supported formats in preferred order. This
means:

SB2 - flac, wav, mp3
SBG/SB1 - wav, mp3
Slimp3 - mp3

The first match is what will be the output format. In the player settings,
there is an option under 'audio' for bitrate limiting. If you set this to
something other than 'no limit' then this will force mp3 output at the rate
selected. This is useful for remote connections, or cases where wireless
throughput isn't enough to handle raw WAV for SB1/SBG.

As support for new formats come along, this bitrate limiting logic may change
(since some nwe formats may be low bandwidth as well)

> Dumb newbie questions but I couldn't find any specific info about the
> File Format Conversion Setup in the help files, faq or owner's guide
> that goes into more detail. Is there an owner's guide for the server
> menu options that goes into more detail that I'm missing?
>
not really. Most of it is in the setting descriptions. The intent of the file
conversions is that they 'just work'. Linux users do have a bit more work,
since they dont have aac and wma options right out of the box.

-kdf

chriswatkins
2005-07-06, 01:23
How have you ripped the FLAC/WMA files? When I first got my SqueezeBox2 I used WinAmp to rip my audio and found that the resulting music sounded lacking in depth and soundstage compared to my CD player. I then took the advice given on the forums and switched to using EAC, this improved the audio considerably. Cables might affect the sound as well, especially the analogue outputs.

MrKegFlex
2005-07-06, 03:10
kdf, thanks for the explanation on the file format setup page! That makes more sense now.

Chris, I used EAC to convert the files to flac according to a page referenced in a post I saw on the forum. Perhaps, I didn't setup the conversion properly? I'll recheck my setup in the next day or two and try again. Thanks!