PDA

View Full Version : Synchronization and SoftSqueeze

alphabeta
2005-07-04, 11:35
Hi

As a new user I fully expect you all to tell me that this has already been done to death, but just in case it's not then I have a strange bug with SoftSqueeze and Synchronization.

The configuration:
Main PC running
Slimserver 6.0.2
SoftSqueeze 2.0b6

Remote PC running
SoftSqueeze 2.0b6

The two softsqueeze clients are preset to be synchronized.

I start the server and client on the main PC and set music playing. All is fine. If I then start the client on the remote PC then the client on the main PC suddenly starts playing garbled junk. If I use the web interface to stop all music playing and start a new playlist then both clients synchronize properly.

While I am on the subject I find it a bit odd that the SoftSqueeze on the main PC reports it's IP address as 127.0.0.1 (ie localhost) instead of the host PC's IP address.

MrC
2005-07-04, 15:15
Hello alphabeta,

I too had trouble w/synchronization, and asked similar questions. It seems that synchronization does not work well when started from the middle of a track. Start the track from the beginning, and all works. Hit play a few times, and synch starts to... synch.

It is not odd that your softsqueeze connects to the server w/IP 127.0.0.1. This is the loopback IP address, which is used for network connections that do not leave over a physical interface.

PCs do not have IP addresses - rather, their network card(s) have IP addresses. Your network interface card's IP address is used when network packets arrive/depart over the physical interface. Since softsqueeze is communicating with the slimserver on the same system, the virtual loopback interface and its 127.0.0.1 address is used, not the physical interface and its IP address.

I hope this helps.

alphabeta
2005-07-05, 04:00
I too had trouble w/synchronization, and asked similar questions. It seems that synchronization does not work well when started from the middle of a track. Start the track from the beginning, and all works. Hit play a few times, and synch starts to... synch.

Thanks for the reply. Yes that seems to work. Is it a bug or can we ever expect it to be fixed?

There also seem to be some problems if you change tracks on one softsqueeze while there is another one synchronized. I'll see if I can make them reproducable.

MrC
2005-07-05, 09:21
I would consider it a bug (or a design oversight). It makes no sense to turn on a player in another room and have your synch process disrupt listeners in the other room. "Sorry dad... I had to synch the player again...". I think you should be able to power-up a player, have it remain silent for a minimal amount of time to do its synch-thing, and then start playing correctly.

Perhaps one of the appropriate developers could chime in here on future plans.

alphabeta
2005-07-06, 12:44
My thoughts also MrC. Does anybody know if you get the same problems with real squeezeboxes or is it just soft-squeeze?

I note the softsqueeze web site says "Only the first track is delayed, synchronization seems fine after that. - In earlier version of Softsqueeze the first track probably will not be synchronized. This is fixed in Softsqueeze2"