PDA

View Full Version : possible doa 10,/100 port

njlmac
2005-07-03, 11:46
Hi,

have been setting up a squeezebox 2, after having a few problems with sticking on track changes or audio sticking in loop on wireless wanted to try wired, but seem to have problem with wired port. Tried 2 different hubs, port light lights up on connection, light flashes when attempting to aquire IP by DHCP but fails, if setting a static IP no joy either pinging SB2 or it detecting slimserver. Have tried a couple of different patch leads with no joy. Was reading a post ref board re-fitting to fix DOA problem, is it worth me investigating inside the case?

Regards, Nick

mikeb
2005-07-03, 13:53
>
> Hi,
>
> have been setting up a squeezebox 2, after having a few problems with
> sticking on track changes or audio sticking in loop on wireless wanted
> to try wired, but seem to have problem with wired port. Tried 2
> different hubs, port light lights up on connection, light flashes when
> attempting to aquire IP by DHCP but fails, if setting a static IP no
> joy either pinging SB2 or it detecting slimserver. Have tried a couple
> of different patch leads with no joy.

Are you using straight through or crossover cables? Make sure they're
straight through when connecting to a standard hub/switch port.

--mikeb

> Regards, Nick
>
>
> --
> njlmac

seanadams
2005-07-03, 14:12
Hi,

have been setting up a squeezebox 2, after having a few problems with sticking on track changes or audio sticking in loop on wireless wanted to try wired, but seem to have problem with wired port. Tried 2 different hubs, port light lights up on connection, light flashes when attempting to aquire IP by DHCP but fails, if setting a static IP no joy either pinging SB2 or it detecting slimserver. Have tried a couple of different patch leads with no joy. Was reading a post ref board re-fitting to fix DOA problem, is it worth me investigating inside the case?

Regards, Nick

Ethernet is tested at the factory for both wired and wireless SB2s - it's possible, but unlikely that the port has failed internally. More likely it is a bad connection. I would check two things here.

- try a different cable
- look inside the RJ45 and make sure all the pins are straight, and all of them are situated at the same angle. On rare occasions one of the pins can get "wedged" upwards a litte bit and this can prevent a good connection to the cable. Sometimes you can pop it downward by poking at it gently with tweezers or a toothpick.

If neither of those helps, give us a call after the holiday and we can troubleshoot further.

njlmac
2005-07-05, 07:01
Hi,

all looks normal on the port of SB, have continued to use wirelessly in the interim but would like to resolve. If worthwhile I could beep test the plug / socket connection with a multimeter I guess If I head inside the case.

Regards,

Nick