PDA

View Full Version : RSS Screensaver with brightness=0

max.spicer
2005-07-02, 13:37
I use the RSS screensaver when my SB2 is in standby mode, but I tend to leave the brightness level at 0. This lets me quickly call up the headlines by pressing brightness, but means I don't have the display scrolling constantly when the device is "off". I've got my wireless router in a visible location at the moment, and I've just noticed that the activity lights go like crazy when the only device active is the SB2 and it is off (brightness==0). I'm guessing that the scrolling data is being sent to the SB2 even though it isn't being displayed. Am I right and, if so, wouldn't it make more sense for the screensaver to do nothing when the display is off?

Max

Triode
2005-07-02, 14:56
Yes at present the display data continues to be sent to the player even if brightness is 0 - its simply that the player doesn't
display it.

Perhaps you could raise a bug to record it as an enhancement request (though I am not sure of the simplet way of dealing with it at
present.)

Adrian

> I use the RSS screensaver when my SB2 is in standby mode, but I tend to
> leave the brightness level at 0. This lets me quickly call up the
> headlines by pressing brightness, but means I don't have the display
> scrolling constantly when the device is "off". I've got my wireless
> router in a visible location at the moment, and I've just noticed that
> the activity lights go like crazy when the only device active is the
> SB2 and it is off (brightness==0). I'm guessing that the scrolling
> data is being sent to the SB2 even though it isn't being displayed. Am
> I right and, if so, wouldn't it make more sense for the screensaver to
> do nothing when the display is off?
>

max.spicer
2005-07-03, 03:25
Yes at present the display data continues to be sent to the player even if brightness is 0 - its simply that the player doesn't
display it.

Perhaps you could raise a bug to record it as an enhancement request (though I am not sure of the simplet way of dealing with it at
present.)

Adrian
I've just filed bug 1745. How does a power-off screensaver work? When a player is turned off, does that event trigger the screensaver to start, or is there some sort of polling going on to find players that need screensaver data? If the former, the fix should be simple, so I'm guessing its the latter or something completely different.

Max

Max

Triode
2005-07-03, 04:01
> I've just filed bug 1745. How does a power-off screensaver work? When
> a player is turned off, does that event trigger the screensaver to
> start, or is there some sort of polling going on to find players that
> need screensaver data? If the former, the fix should be simple, so I'm
> guessing its the latter or something completely different.
>

Yes well it is a mixure of the two as it occurs on a one second timer, but is triggered by chaning to power off. However the
complexity here is that you essentially want two states for the power off mode: blank screen and screensaver. Do you have any
suggestions of how users should switch between the two?

Although we could suppress sending any data when brightness ==0, this would still cause the server to do all the work to draw the
sceensaver lines. If we stop calculating the display, then changing between other brightness levels would look odd. On SB1/SBG we
also need to send updates to the player ever ~ 1second otherwise it looses contact with slimserver and complains, so we couldn't
suppress it completely.

Adrian

max.spicer
2005-07-03, 05:59
Could you not have the screensaver trigger on power off if brightness != 0 and then be triggered on every brightness change when power == 0 and new brightness != 0? Things shouldn't look odd on a brightness change, as the change would simply start the screensaver from scratch. I realise here that I'm making suggestions without having a clue about the code, so I won't take offense if you just say "no, it's a lot more complicated than that!". Which bits of the code are relevant here? I haven't taken the plunge into the server code yet, but do vaguely understand perl and am a professional developer/sysadmin.

What's an SBG? If you have to update devices' displays every second in order to assure them that you're alive, can you not just send a single character "ping" every second if you're not running the screensaver due to conditions above?

Max

> I've just filed bug 1745. How does a power-off screensaver work? When
> a player is turned off, does that event trigger the screensaver to
> start, or is there some sort of polling going on to find players that
> need screensaver data? If the former, the fix should be simple, so I'm
> guessing its the latter or something completely different.
>

Yes well it is a mixure of the two as it occurs on a one second timer, but is triggered by chaning to power off. However the
complexity here is that you essentially want two states for the power off mode: blank screen and screensaver. Do you have any
suggestions of how users should switch between the two?

Although we could suppress sending any data when brightness ==0, this would still cause the server to do all the work to draw the
sceensaver lines. If we stop calculating the display, then changing between other brightness levels would look odd. On SB1/SBG we
also need to send updates to the player ever ~ 1second otherwise it looses contact with slimserver and complains, so we couldn't
suppress it completely.

Adrian

Triode
2005-07-03, 09:40
SBG = SB1 with graphical display.

Max - can you deal with diffs against the latest subversion? If so I will send you something off line or on the dev's list. I
think you are on linux?

Adrian

>
> Could you not have the screensaver trigger on power off if brightness !=
> 0 and then be triggered on every brightness change when power == 0 and
> new brightness != 0? Things shouldn't look odd on a brightness change,
> as the change would simply start the screensaver from scratch. I
> realise here that I'm making suggestions without having a clue about
> the code, so I won't take offense if you just say "no, it's a lot more
> complicated than that!". Which bits of the code are relevant here? I
> haven't taken the plunge into the server code yet, but do vaguely
> understand perl and am a professional developer/sysadmin.
>
> What's an SBG? If you have to update devices' displays every second in
> order to assure them that you're alive, can you not just send a single
> character "ping" every second if you're not running the screensaver due
> to conditions above?

max.spicer
2005-07-03, 11:54
SBG = SB1 with graphical display.

Max - can you deal with diffs against the latest subversion? If so I will send you something off line or on the dev's list. I
think you are on linux?
Yes, diffs against latest subversion are no problem.

Max