PDA

View Full Version : 6.1 smooth scrolling - feeback requested

Triode
2005-07-02, 09:49
>From 6.0 onwards it has been possible to set the smoothness of scrolling text on a graphics player, SBG or SB2
[player web page - display: set shorter Scroll Rate & and smaller Scroll Pixels]

As of 6.1, setting this to quite slow values including moving one pixel at a time should have minimal performance penalty on the
server, the only issue it has is the additional network bandwidth it creates. There is also a mechanim to prevent network
congestion causing the control connection to a player to block up.

I was therefore wondering whether we should change the default scroll settings for a player so users who don't change the default
settings benefit. This could be differernt for a wireless and non wireless attached players.

So:

1) How many users are using non default scroll settings?

2) How do the following scroll settings work for you:
Pixels = 1, Rate = 0.01
Pixels = 1, Rate = 0.02
Pixels = 2, Rate = 0.04
Pixels = 4, Rate = 0.08
Pixels = 5, Rate = 0.10

[as fast settings can use more network bandwidth than streaming as WAV, please try when playing music!]

Adrian

gorstk
2005-07-02, 10:26
Triode wrote:

>
> 1) How many users are using non default scroll settings?

Me! It makes the device look /a lot/ more professional!

> 2) How do the following scroll settings work for you:
> Pixels = 1, Rate = 0.01
> Pixels = 1, Rate = 0.02
> Pixels = 2, Rate = 0.04
> Pixels = 4, Rate = 0.08
> Pixels = 5, Rate = 0.10

I find that pixels=2 and rate=0.03 works well for me to a SBG1 wired
using a 54g bridge playing flac files from a 1ghz pentium III (linux).

max.spicer
2005-07-02, 10:59
Should these be for both single and double line scrolling? I've never been sure whether to just set both values to the same thing. I don't think I've ever used double line scrolling anyway - my eyes are just about good enough to read the single line from my sofa. :-)

Max

>From 6.0 onwards it has been possible to set the smoothness of scrolling text on a graphics player, SBG or SB2
[player web page - display: set shorter Scroll Rate & and smaller Scroll Pixels]

As of 6.1, setting this to quite slow values including moving one pixel at a time should have minimal performance penalty on the
server, the only issue it has is the additional network bandwidth it creates. There is also a mechanim to prevent network

I was therefore wondering whether we should change the default scroll settings for a player so users who don't change the default
settings benefit. This could be differernt for a wireless and non wireless attached players.

So:

Pixels = 1, Rate = 0.01
Pixels = 1, Rate = 0.02
Pixels = 2, Rate = 0.04
Pixels = 4, Rate = 0.08
Pixels = 5, Rate = 0.10

[as fast settings can use more network bandwidth than streaming as WAV, please try when playing music!]

Adrian

Triode
2005-07-02, 11:01
>
> Should these be for both single and double line scrolling? I've never
> been sure whether to just set both values to the same thing. I don't
> think I've ever used double line scrolling anyway - my eyes are just
> about good enough to read the single line from my sofa. :-)
>
> Max
>

I normally set them both to the same value - but happy to take feedback suggesting they should be differerent....

Gregory Hamilton
2005-07-02, 15:50
Trido,

I also use no-default values of pixel=1, rate .07, same for both

On 7/2/05, Triode <triode1 (AT) btinternet (DOT) com> wrote:
> >
> > Should these be for both single and double line scrolling? I've never
> > been sure whether to just set both values to the same thing. I don't
> > think I've ever used double line scrolling anyway - my eyes are just
> > about good enough to read the single line from my sofa. :-)
> >
> > Max
> >
>
> I normally set them both to the same value - but happy to take feedback suggesting they should be differerent....
>
>

Daryle Tilroe
2005-07-02, 17:13
Triode wrote:

> So:
>

Definitely non-default here.

> 2) How do the following scroll settings work for you:

I use single pixel to get the smoothness I really like.
As for rate I am successfully using 0.008 for double and
0.016 for single.

--
Daryle A. Tilroe

mherger
2005-07-03, 02:24

I do:

SBG1: 1 pixel, 0.04 sec.
SB2: 2 pixel, 0.02 sec.

Both wirelessly on a 54Mb access point. Sometimes I do get some when the
server is busy. But normally these settings are really smooth. I only
stream MP3, though. WAV on SB1 was never reliable for me.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

max.spicer
2005-07-04, 12:59
I found 2,0.04 to be a bit too quick so have settled on 2,0.05. This rate has been running fine for a few days now.

Max

So:

Pixels = 1, Rate = 0.01
Pixels = 1, Rate = 0.02
Pixels = 2, Rate = 0.04
Pixels = 4, Rate = 0.08
Pixels = 5, Rate = 0.10

Adrian

Ben
2005-07-07, 22:59
I really like the look of the smoother scrolling (2, 0.05 looked good to me as well), unfortunately, I was getting some jitters with the shorter scroll times. That may be an artifact of my setup, however.

My SB2 is connected to the server via an 802.11g only network. I was bringing up the Slimserver interface over the same network from my laptop so I could fiddle with the settings. Also, my server isn't the most powerful (1.0 GHz, G4, OS X 10.3.9, Slimserver 6.1b1) and I was transcoding AAC to FLAC at the time.

The jitters were considerably better (pretty much gone, actually) on the smoother settings if I closed the web interface.

Ben