PDA

View Full Version : Issue with switching shuffling mode of different playlists

MikeGilpin
2005-07-02, 09:13
Using 6.1b1 with a Mac Mini client with 512MB RAM and three synched SB2s as clients, encoutered this issue:

1) Switched to "shuffle by album" mode, played a playlist (consisting of classical music).

2) Stopped it (with pause button - I've always thought it odd there's no stop button on the remote...)

3) Navigated higher in menus, switched shuffle mode to "Shuffle by song"

4) Selected a different playlist (pop music), pressed play on SB2 remote.

5) Players showed the first song in the list, acted like it was playing, but no music. The "buffer fullness" indication on the player said 3%. The display appeared frozen (no scrolling as usual)

6) I stopped the server (from the Mac control panel), restarted it, and after that was able to play this list (in song shuffle mode) with no problem.

So the problem seems to be with switching shuffle modes. I've seen other posts talk about how fast it is now to play a shuffled list, since the lists are moved in the database, but although that's true for me for lists shuffled in "song" mode, it still takes a *very* long time to start up a list shuffled in Album mode. Must be doing a lot trickier sorting algorithm.

Which reminds me of what I have always thought was a design flaw in the basic idea of how shuffling works on SlimServer. To me, the shuffle "mode" should not be a mode at all (my programmer roots teach me to avoid modal behaviors whenever possible), but instead an attribute of the list itself. In my case, for example, the only reason I ever have to change shuffle "modes" is that I need classical music shuffled by album, and pop music shuffled by song. Maybe I lack imagination, but I can't think of any reason why I'd need the shuffle mode of a particular list to differ from one time to another.

So a suggestion for an architectural change for the next major release: make this an attribute of the list that can be set in the browser (like other properties), and have the list automatically switch to the right mode when it is played.

MikeGilpin
2005-07-04, 09:36
I don't think it had anything to do with switching shuffle modes. It freezes up while still just playing along on the same mode on the same playlist. Here's the log from when it froze up in the beta, a couple of times:

1) Most recently:

2005-07-04 09:51:09.3705 SlimServer done start...
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /Users/mikegilpin/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 736.
Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /Users/mikegilpin/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/Slim/Music/Info.pm line 736.
<... same message repeated many times>

2) On a previous occasion:

Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /Users/mikegilpin/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/Class/DBI.pm line 43.
Use of uninitialized value in join or string at /Users/mikegilpin/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/server/CPAN/Class/DBI.pm line 43.