PDA

View Full Version : Web interface broken with firefox



max.spicer
2005-07-02, 06:12
For a long time now I've had problems with the web interface and Firefox. It would repeatedly hang, being unable to load new pages. I've now managed to track the cause of this problem down - I had pipelining enabled in Firefox. I turned off pipelining (network.http.pipelining), restarted Firefox and the interface was fine once more. Is this a known cause to the problem?

Max

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-02, 06:46
OK, so how do I turn off pipelining?

jth
2005-07-02, 07:31
Enter the URL

about:config

Then search for "network.http.pipelining" and set to false.

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-02, 08:49
Ta

(padding)

max.spicer
2005-07-02, 10:56
OK, so how do I turn off pipelining?
It's worth noting that pipelining is disabled by default in Firefox and Mozilla as it can cause problems with some web servers. As it's a hidden pref in Firefox, it won't be on unless you deliberately turned it on. SlimServer is the first time I've ever seen it cause a problem though. It's a shame to turn it off, as it can noticably speed up page load times.

Max

Craig, James (IT)
2005-07-04, 02:06
Dan also advised disabling tcp keepalive setting last time this came up.
(even though Firefox manuals claim this setting is meaningless)

I did that and it seemed to fix the problem for me.

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

oreillymj
2005-07-04, 05:34
AFAIK, pipe-lining and keep-alives are part of the HTTP 1.1 spec.
If the Web server within Slimserver is reporting that it is a 1.1 capable server then it should support pipe-lining and keep-alives.

If the Web-server does not support these features, then it should reply in it's headers that it is a 1.0 server. Firefox should then degrade gracefully and not attempt to use these features. This could be a Firefox bug.

I have http1.1 enabled in IE (Advanced settings) & Firefox and the UI was fine in IE, whereas in Firefox, it would randomly not display images.

Clearing my cache had no effect.
When I get home, I'll connect to my Slimserver and see what version of HTTP the web-server claims to be running.

max.spicer
2005-07-04, 05:41
Turning off keepalive had no effect for me. Disabling pipelining fixed the problem straight away.

Max


Dan also advised disabling tcp keepalive setting last time this came up.
(even though Firefox manuals claim this setting is meaningless)

I did that and it seemed to fix the problem for me.

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

radish
2005-07-04, 08:37
I just took a quick look at what slimserver returns in it's headers:



HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Connection: keep-alive
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:22:48 GMT
Content-Length: 3672
Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
Expires: Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT


The version header doesn't appear to be a valid response, as the RFCs state that both major and minor versions should be numeric. "Connection: keep-alive" is however a 1.0 only header for responses. I figure if it doesn't support pipelining and keepalive it should return appropriate headers.

jth
2005-07-04, 09:03
I don't think there have been any bug reports on the pipelining issue. You will probably want to raise a new one in bugzilla so the issue doesn't get lost. I'm seeing the same sort of behavior with Firefox as well.

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-04, 09:36
Yeah, me too. Thanks to Max for finding it and pointing it out.

max.spicer
2005-07-04, 10:01
Okay, this is now bug 1755.

Max


I don't think there have been any bug reports on the pipelining issue. You will probably want to raise a new one in bugzilla so the issue doesn't get lost. I'm seeing the same sort of behavior with Firefox as well.