PDA

View Full Version : AC3 and MySQL enhancements

Xantia38
2005-07-01, 09:23
Hello,

I would like to propose the following enhancement requests and before doing so in the Bugzilla database, wanted to collect feedback:

Requests 1 and 2 belong together and their purpose is to enable the playing of AC3 files. Requests 3 and 4 are related toi the use of MySQL database.

1: Create a new stream type "pcm" which allows raw pcm data to be streamed through the digital outputs to an external Dolby Digital decoder.

2: Enable SlimServer to play AC3 files; i.e., create a new File Type AC3 with stream options wav, flac, mp3 and pcm. The first three stream options would decode the AC3 stream and stream it as wav, or encode to flac or mp3. The last option would just stream the AC3 data so that it can be decoded by a Dolby Digital decoder connected to one of the digital outputs of the SB2. Ideally this option would also automatically disable the analog outputs when playing an AC3 file.

3: When using the MySQL database, the SlimServer loses the database connection after some time. I traced this back to the connection timeout of MySQL, indicating that the SlimServer does not ping the database to keep the connection alive. While the workaround is trivial - increase the connection timeout value such that it is unlikely to ever reach its limit (such as 7 days) - it is not the right solution. The SlimServer should send a keep-alive signal every 15 minutes or so.

4: The MySQL database uses Latin8 and Swedish as the default characterset and sort order, respectively. SlimServer should use utf8 as the default character set. The sort order should be a configurable item (in the pref file) and as a default should use a value appropriate with the SlimBox's language setting.

Please provide feedback which I will summarize to file the "formal" requests.

Thanks for your help,
Xantia38

Victor Brilon
2005-07-01, 09:36
On Jul 1, 2005, at 11:23 AM, Xantia38 wrote:
[snip]
>
> 3: When using the MySQL database, the SlimServer loses the database
> connection after some time. I traced this back to the connection
> timeout of MySQL, indicating that the SlimServer does not ping the
> database to keep the connection alive. While the workaround is trivial
> - increase the connection timeout value such that it is unlikely to
> ever reach its limit (such as 7 days) - it is not the right solution.
> The SlimServer should send a keep-alive signal every 15 minutes or so.

This change is trivial as perl's DBI interface provides a ping()
function for mysql that can be inserted into the main loop. The
tricky part though is to be careful if the code uses any prepared
statements. See more details and code examples:
http://www.mysqlusers.com/msg/19248.html

Victor

Steven Moore
2005-07-01, 12:24
I second enabling ac3 files to be played.

Steven Moore
>
> 2: Enable SlimServer to play AC3 files; i.e., create a new File Type
> AC3 with stream options wav, flac, mp3 and pcm. The first three stream
> options would decode the AC3 stream and stream it as wav, or encode to
> flac or mp3. The last option would just stream the AC3 data so that it
> can be decoded by a Dolby Digital decoder connected to one of the
> digital outputs of the SB2. Ideally this option would also
> automatically disable the analog outputs when playing an AC3 file.
>