PDA

View Full Version : Resetting the SB2

max.spicer
2005-07-01, 04:37
As part of my ongoing network issues, I've just got a new wireless router. For some reason, I can't get the SB2 to connect to it, although every other device is fine. It worked fine before, and with the same model router, so I'm guessing I've done something stupid. I'll have a good fiddle this weekend and hopefully find out, but the first thing that I would like to try is a full reset of the SB2 in order to make sure it's not got confused about having a virtually identical wireless network turn up with the same essid as the old one. How can I do such a factory reset of the SB2, and is there anything I need to be aware of? I've tried holding various keys at random, but haven't yet stumbled across the right one. :-)

Thanks,

Max

Graybatch
2005-07-01, 08:05
I'm no expert, but, having just done the same as you - i.e. purchase a new router - the way to reboot the SB2 is to press and hold the power button on the remote. You will go back to the original menus to define your network settings. It worked for me!

GB

max.spicer
2005-07-02, 01:31
I'm no expert, but, having just done the same as you - i.e. purchase a new router - the way to reboot the SB2 is to press and hold the power button on the remote. You will go back to the original menus to define your network settings. It worked for me!
Thanks, but I knew about that one. Pressing and holding power is pretty much the same as pulling power cable out of the back and putting it back again. I believe there is a much "nastier" reset that you can do by holding another key.

Max

kdf
2005-07-02, 01:49
Quoting "max.spicer" <max.spicer.1rja8b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Graybatch Wrote:
> > I'm no expert, but, having just done the same as you - i.e. purchase a
> > new router - the way to reboot the SB2 is to press and hold the power
> > button on the remote. You will go back to the original menus to define
> > your network settings. It worked for me!
> Thanks, but I knew about that one. Pressing and holding power is
> pretty much the same as pulling power cable out of the back and putting
> it back again. I believe there is a much "nastier" reset that you can
> do by holding another key.

unplug the power.
press and hold 'add' while plugging back in. that does a factory reset.
I'm not sure you would want to be doing that unless there was some dire problem.

-kdf

max.spicer
2005-07-02, 06:14
unplug the power.
press and hold 'add' while plugging back in. that does a factory reset.
I'm not sure you would want to be doing that unless there was some dire problem.
What will that do? Will it just cause the SB2 to behave as it did when I first took it out of the box? Assumedly the settings that are held on the server will still be fine. If this is the case, then I can't see why I shouldn't try it.

Max

JJZolx
2005-07-02, 09:41
What will that do? Will it just cause the SB2 to behave as it did when I first took it out of the box? Assumedly the settings that are held on the server will still be fine. If this is the case, then I can't see why I shouldn't try it.

It won't alter any server settings. Although the SB2 is likely to be right back where you started after you reenter all your settings, I'm with you. If I were having problems that I couldn't quite figure out, I'd want to start again from scratch. There really aren't that many settings and it takes only a few minutes to set one up from scratch, even with wireless settings and WEP key. If you use DHCP it's that much easier. I'd probably also tell the server to "forget" the player - once again, there aren't enough settings at the server that you couldn't reenter them again in couple of minutes.