PDA

View Full Version : MAC Address Changes After Fall

Mike Hanson
2005-06-30, 10:27
My Squeezebox was knocked off the table, but was caught before hitting the floor by the tension of the power cable. At first I was quite concerned, because the unit would not power up. When I fiddled with the connector, it would flash, so I had some hope of an easy fix. I opened up the case, and immediately noticed that the power jack had come loose from its SMD pads on the one side. I pulled out my soldering iron, and fixed it up, adding a bit more solder for future strength.

Now it powered up fine, but had forgotten its network settings. I reset everything as before, and was somewhat surprised that the prior playlist was forgotten. I checked the Slimserver, and discovered that the SB had a different MAC address. It used to be 04:20:05:A0:D3 (as written on the bottom of the device and remembered by Slimserver), but now it was 04:20:FF:FF:01!

Could it be that an EEPROM some such component was cleared by the frequent power flashes that would have occurred with the bad connection? Or is this a symptom of a bigger problem? Am I safe to continue using it as-is?

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Mike Hanson
2005-07-04, 05:31
Any thoughts on this, or am I getting concerned for nothing?

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

max.spicer
2005-07-04, 05:42
Yes, come on folks. I'm intrigued by this one!

Max

PS Or in other words, bump. ;-)

Any thoughts on this, or am I getting concerned for nothing?

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

dean
2005-07-04, 08:01
The MAC address is kept in the same section of flash that contains
the other settings. It's possible that the bump caused a connector
to come loose and the firmware to crash in such a way that it
overwrote that setting.

There's a secret MAC address editor built into the player setup (go
into current settings, scroll to the MAC address and press right),
feel free to set it back to the value listed on the bottom of your
player.

On Jul 4, 2005, at 5:31 AM, Mike Hanson wrote:

>
> Any thoughts on this, or am I getting concerned for nothing?
>
> -=> Mike Hanson <=-
>
>
> --
> Mike Hanson
>

Mike Hanson
2005-07-04, 12:08
The MAC address is kept in the same section of flash that contains the other settings. It's possible that the bump caused a connector to come loose and the firmware to crash in such a way that it overwrote that setting.
I hope it was caused by the power flashing on and off, as the power connector came loose, and not yet another loose connection. The power one was spotted easily. I'm not sure whether others would be as obvious.

There's a secret MAC address editor built into the player setup (go into current settings, scroll to the MAC address and press right), feel free to set it back to the value listed on the bottom of your player.
As long as it's not indicative of other problems, I'll just leave it as-is.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Craig
2005-07-04, 13:33
I'd say that you should change it back, after all Mac addresses should be unique and you can't be sure that your aquired one is.

Craig

Mike Hanson
2005-07-04, 13:43
I'd say that you should change it back, after all Mac addresses should be unique and you can't be sure that your aquired one is.
Yes, you're probably right, as I do intend to hook into the Squeezebox Network at some point.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Mike Hanson
2005-07-14, 06:10
There's a secret MAC address editor built into the player setup (go into current settings, scroll to the MAC address and press right), feel free to set it back to the value listed on the bottom of your player.
I attempted to do this the other day, and it just did the "bounce", as if there were nothing more to the right. Is there anything else I need to do to perform this change?

-=> Mike Hanson <=-