PDA

View Full Version : Broken Archive in 6.1b1 - please help!

dip
2005-06-29, 03:20
I recently switched from 6.0.2 to 6.1b1 since browsing large playlist take a huge amount of time (on my squeezebox2) and even crashes sometimes the slimserver if I browse on the server. I simply installed 6.1b1 over the existing 6.0.2.

I have about 5300 songs (most of them ogg vorbis and some mp3) stored on disk in the following structure: c:\my files\my music\album artist\album title\track no-artist - track title

All files have been tagged at least with artist and track title, most of the files have in addition tagged with album title, track no., year. The files missing the album tag are stored as c:\my files\my music\mp3\artist\artist - track title

After having installed 6.1b1 in slim sever it was indicated that I have (only) about 2500 songs. I therefore selected to rescan the music folder thereby checking the box that the old database should be deleted. After the rescan it was indicated in the server that I have about 9300(!) songs. In addition when browsing by album or artist a lot of songs or complete albums are not shown and for some songs the song title is emtpy (although it is correctly tagged in the file).

I then completely uninstalled 6.1b1 and reinstalled it but have the same problems.
I again uninstalled it and reinstalled 6.0.2 and everything is fine again (except that browsing large playlists takes still years). I finally tried unofficial version 6.0.3 and this works like 6.0.2.

Has anybody an idea how I get 6.1b1 to correctly build the database? My system is Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks in advance for an answer.

Dan Sully
2005-06-29, 08:11
* dip shaped the electrons to say...

>After having installed 6.1b1 in slim sever it was indicated that I have
>(only) about 2500 songs. I therefore selected to rescan the music folder
>thereby checking the box that the old database should be deleted. After
>the rescan it was indicated in the server that I have about 9300(!)
>songs. In addition when browsing by album or artist a lot of songs or
>complete albums are not shown and for some songs the song title is
>emtpy (although it is correctly tagged in the file).

Do you happen to have m3u, cue or pls files in your audiodir?

-D
--
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity." - Albert Einstein

dip
2005-06-29, 08:31
I have some m3u files in a subdirectory to my music root directory. I don't have any cue and pls files.

Dan Sully
2005-06-29, 08:36
* dip shaped the electrons to say...

>I have some m3u files in a subdirectory to my music root directory. I
>don't have any cue and pls files.

Could you try moving those m3u files outside of the music root, and then wipe your db?

Thanks.

-D
--
<iNoah> kernel's original recipe: 11 secret args and switches

dip
2005-06-29, 08:47
I will try this and report when I am at home. I hope it works...

BTW, originally I had my m3u files directly in the music root and in the server settings I set the music root as default directory for playlists (this was the default after installation). With this setting all subdirectories were shown as playlists in slim server and on the squeezebox (although there were no m3u files). Is this like it should be?
This was the reason that I created a subdirectory for my playlists and directed the path in the server settings to this subdirectory.

dip
2005-06-30, 00:10
It seems indeed to be a problem with playlists. I moved my playlists outside of my music directory and made a rescan (always with clearing the database). After this all songs were shown correctly in slim server.

I then changed in the settings of slim server the playlist directory to the directory where I moved the playlist to and made another rescan. Now the number of songs still were correct but when I browsed the playlist (comprising over 5000 songs) the title of all songs were empty so it was only showing "(artist) from album" instead of "title (artist) from album". Even when I browsed the album or the artist the title of the songs were not shown correctly.

I then created a new playlist comprising only a few number (5) of songs and stored this in the playlist directory. After a rescan this playlist could be browsed correctly but the big one was still broken. I tried to reduce the size of this big playlist by deleting lines with an text editor to see if there is a certain number of entries from which on the problem starts. I always halved the number from about 5000 to 2500 to 1250 to 600 to 300 to 150 and finally to 5 (always making a complete rescan with clearing the cache) but for the songs which were included in the playlist the title was always empty during both browsing the playlist and browsing the album or artist. I finally deleted (moved away) the playlist completely and after a rescan everything was fine again.

Then I moved the playlist (with only 5 entries) back but when browsing the playlist the title were still empty. Then I browsed to the songs of the playlist but by browsing the artist and here the title was suddenly shown correctly. I went back to browsing the playlist and now for this song the title was also shown correctly! Very strange!!

So it seems that there is a problem with large playlists in 6.1b1 which was not there in 6.0.2. And it seems that once the problem arised simply reducing the size of the playlist and making a rescan does not help.

Any ideas?

dip
2005-07-01, 00:10
I completely uninstalled slimserver, deleted all playlists and reinstalled 6.1b1. After that I created a small playlist with only 5 entries from within slimserver and all titles are shown correctly. Then I created another playlist with over 5000 songs and all titles are also shown correctly both during browse playlist as well as during browse artist or albums!!

What I did not mention in my previous post is that my original playlist (which caused the described problems) was not created from within slimserver but by an external program. I understand that in 6.1b1 slimserver holds the playlists in the database and only creates a backup of user generated playlists on disk. Can that be the reason that (large) playlists originating from disk and created by other programs will result in problems?

And whow, selecting the new large playlist with over 5000 songs on my squeezebox2 takes now only about 2 seconds!! That's amazing!