PDA

View Full Version : Internet Radio streams vastly louder

sleepysurf
2005-06-28, 14:30
Anybody else notice that Internet Radio streams (whether via SlimServer or SqueezeNetwork), are significantly LOUDER than audio file playback?

Internet Radio streams are about 15 dB louder than playback of my FLAC music files. I am currently using Digital S/PDIF out, with the fixed (max) volume setting. I do not use ReplayGain or anything like that with the FLAC playback.

It's rather annoying to hafta adjust my Pre-amp volume when I switch sources.

radish
2005-06-28, 17:01
Probably the station running their output through a compressor before streaming it...because, you know, louder is always better and dynamics are for pansies :)

seanadams
2005-06-28, 19:10
Can anyone confirm if this is actually the case?

Compression makes sense for FM, where people usually listen in noisy
environments on crappy stereos (car, workplace etc) - it would be a
real shame if any internet stations are doing it!

On Jun 28, 2005, at 5:01 PM, radish wrote:

>
> Probably the station running their output through a compressor before
> streaming it...because, you know, louder is always better and dynamics
> are for pansies :)
>

sleepysurf
2005-06-28, 19:33
I've been listening primarily to Radioio feeds. Hadn't thought to check if other internet radio streams are just as loud. Turns out, many are, but some aren't. I guess it depends on the individual feeds. Maybe they really ARE trying to use "psychoacoustics" to sound "better" (just like many commercials on TV crank up the volume).

Dave D
2005-07-06, 17:29
I've been listening primarily to Radioio feeds.

My SB2 arrived yesterday (and now I have to leave town for five days--isn't that like taking a kid's Christmas present away?)

Anyway, this was one of the first things I noticed, after the "Geez-this-is-the-sweetest-toy-I've-bought-in-a-long-time" effect wore off a litle bit. Radioio is significantly louder than my ripped MP3s. I thought at first that I ripped all my CDs incorrectly (which could easily be part of the problem.)

I tried a few other internet stations and the volume difference is most noticable on Radioio. I'll forgive them; there's a lot of music there I'd never hear otherwise.

- Dave

sleepysurf
2005-07-06, 18:35
Sounds like we need somebody to write a RadioioGain plug-in <g>.

DrNic
2005-07-07, 02:43
@sleepysurf.
Off topic, i know.
But checked out your system via the link at the bottom of your threads. A quick question: do you use the Buffalo linkstation as the slimserver also?? ie server installed via PERL etc??
If so does it suffer with problems using FLAC on the SB2 considering its processor speed and lack of upgradeable memory??

Thanks
Nic

sleepysurf
2005-07-07, 03:22
Actually, I was planning to, but it looked too arduous, so I just run slimserver on my office laptop. Works fine, plus it's a cinch to install the latest beta.

DrNic
2005-07-09, 15:55
Actually, I was planning to, but it looked too arduous, so I just run slimserver on my office laptop. Works fine, plus it's a cinch to install the latest beta.
Thanks for answering!!!

Nic