PDA

View Full Version : Announce: SlimServer 6.1b1 and SqueezeNetwork Beta



vidurapparao
2005-06-27, 13:35
Slim Devices would like to announce the release of SlimServer 6.1 Beta 1
and SqueezeNetwork Beta.

Download here: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_beta.html

Highlights of the SlimServer 6.1b1 release include:

* Support for Slim Devices' Always-On Network Service:
SqueezeNetwork on your Squeezebox2.
* Improvements to our support for Internet Radio, including a Web
Interface for the Shoutcast, radioio and Live365 radio directories.
* Many performance improvements to browsing, scanning and playing
your music library.
* A new Podcast Plugin that allows you to use your Squeezebox to
listen to your favorite podcasts...or browse some of our presets.
* Many more improvements and bug fixes.

You can read the detailed SlimServer 6.1b1 release notes at
http://www.slimdevices.com/su_changelog.html.

To use the SqueezeNetwork Beta, you will need to update your Squeezebox2
firmware to revision 14 (included with SlimServer 6.1b1). You can then:

* Connect your Squeezebox2 to SqueezeNetwork by choosing the
"SqueezeNetwork" item from the player's Main Menu or from the
Squeezebox2 Setup Menu.
* Visit http://www.squeezenetwork.com to create an account,
associate one or more players with your account, control your
players remotely, and share Favorites & RSS Feeds.
* Enjoy many of your favorite Squeezebox2 features - Internet Radio,
RSS News, Alarm Clock (including many fun new alarm sounds) -
without a computer.

Please give both SlimServer 6.1b1 and SqueezeNetwork Beta a try. As
always, post feedback to this forum and file bugs at
http://bugs.slimdevices.com.

The Slim Devices Team

mcremer
2005-06-27, 15:40
Slim Devices would like to announce the release of SlimServer 6.1 Beta 1
and SqueezeNetwork Beta.
(...)
Please give both SlimServer 6.1b1 and SqueezeNetwork Beta a try.

That's great - it's like a dream becoming true :-)

One question though: When being connected to SqueezeNetwork instead of the slimserver application running on my computer next room, SB2 is not able to play radio stations that send their stream in WMA format ("mms://a45...."), right? Any chance this might be possible in the future?

Michel.

MMay
2005-06-28, 13:41
From the changelog -

Bugs Fixed:

#1311 - Squeezebox2 FLAC decoder needs REPLAY-GAIN type capability.

Does this mean replaygain is functioning? If so, I'm surprised more mention hasn't been made of it.

vidurapparao
2005-06-28, 13:49
Hrm...I don't know how that got in there. Bug 1311 is still open as an
enhancement in the bug database. Speaking of enhancements, where can I
file one for more hours in the day?.

--Vidur

MMay
2005-06-28, 14:22
> Hrm...I don't know how that got in there. Bug 1311 is still open as an
> enhancement in the bug database.

Damn...

I checked the bug database as soon as I saw that in the changelog and saw
that it was still open. I was hoping that it was the bug database that was
in error... not the changelog.

> Speaking of enhancements, where can I file one for more hours in the day?

That depends... if you want more working hours in the day you can keep that
'enhancement'
to yourself. :)

- Mike

JJZolx
2005-06-28, 14:51
Speaking of enhancements, where can I
file one for more hours in the day?.

Man hours?

Here you go: http://hiring.monster.com

stinkingpig
2005-06-28, 19:35
JJZolx wrote:
> vidurapparao Wrote:
>
>>Speaking of enhancements, where can I
>>file one for more hours in the day?.
>
>
> Man hours?
>
> Here you go: http://hiring.monster.com
>
>

http://jamesthornton.com/theory/theory?theory_id=27


--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
"If this is Paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower." -- The Talking Heads

Daryle Tilroe
2005-06-28, 21:48
Vidur Apparao wrote:

>
> Slim Devices would like to announce the release of SlimServer 6.1 Beta 1
....
> Highlights of the SlimServer 6.1b1 release include:
>
....
> * Many more improvements and bug fixes.

I thought http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1478 was
targeted for a 6.1 fix. Am I to assume that this broken feature
won't be restored any time soon and I should just upgrade my
remotes? :-(

--
Daryle A. Tilroe

Ben Sandee
2005-06-29, 05:39
>
> I thought http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1478 was
> targeted for a 6.1 fix. Am I to assume that this broken feature
> won't be restored any time soon and I should just upgrade my
> remotes? :-(

Your pet bug still has a target of 6.1 in bugzilla. Generally in
software development beta releases are to get the product feature
complete and then they begin working the remaining smallish bugs as
the release approaches.

I've certainly got my own pet bugs too, many still assigned to 6.1 but
unfixed, but I won't waste your time with them.

Ben

glmason
2005-06-29, 05:54
I was experimenting and the firmware updated and now I can not connect back to my server... how to get off the network?

mherger
2005-06-29, 06:01
> I was experimenting and the firmware updated and now I can not connect
> back to my server... how to get off the network?

There's a "sign off" menu entry.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

glmason
2005-06-29, 06:06
Oh I guess I answered my own question, I had to unplug the SB2, and go through the setup menu again connect back to my wireless server, then the firmware updated again and then I was connected back to my server... I guess the network is not something that one causually gets into... It is not like, "oh I think I'll see what is on the network!"
I guess I need to read about it before I try it again.
Larry

glmason
2005-06-29, 06:08
the sign off network just turns the SB2 off, it does not return you to your server...

mherger
2005-06-29, 06:26
> Oh I guess I answered my own question, I had to unplug the SB2, and go
> through the setup menu again connect back to my wireless server, then
> the firmware updated again and then I was connected back to my
> server...

It rather downgraded... You'll have to install the latest beta. I imagine
this happens if there are different firmware versions on your local server
and on the Squeezenetwork. Normally you just switch using connect/sign off.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Khuli
2005-06-29, 06:27
Should SlimServer 6.0.2 be uninstalled before upgrading to 6.1 or will it update itself?

Hopefully it will cure whatever is causing my SB2 not to work wireless...

Steve Burling
2005-06-29, 08:59
--On June 28, 2005 7:35:06 PM -0700 Jack Coates <jack (AT) monkeynoodle (DOT) org>
wrote:

> http://jamesthornton.com/theory/theory?theory_id=27

To which I reply:

My rule for estimating software project times:

- Make my best estimate
- Double it
- Add one of the next higher unit

Thus a 1-day project becomes 1 week plus 2 days, a 1-week project becomes 1
month plus 2 weeks, and a 1-month project becomes 1 year plus 2 months.

One-year or longer projects can't be completed.

:-)

--
Steve Burling <mailto:srb (AT) umich (DOT) edu>
University of Michigan, ICPSR Voice: +1 734 615.3779
330 Packard Street FAX: +1 734 647.8700
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2910

kdf
2005-06-29, 09:24
Quoting glmason <glmason.1re2yp (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> the sign off network just turns the SB2 off, it does not return you to
> your server...

The sign off drops the player from teh SqueezeNetwork and the player then looks
for your local server and connects to that if possible. It absolutely DOES
return you to your server, as designed. If this is not working for you, then
we should look at why it doesn't work for you.

-kdf

glmason
2005-06-29, 10:46
Well I'm sure I went about the whole thing the wrong way... But it does illistrate a point.

It was before work, so not a lot of time, I was signing up for the Squeezenetwork and needed the "Pin" (so I had not really signed up yet) I looked for the pin via the sever's web interface, could find anything like it... so I thought oh must be the "setting" on the SB2. So went to the living room to use the remote on the SB2. Found "setting" (BTW I had not downloaded or set up the 6.1b1, though I did have the 6.1 from some nightly build I guess) but I was just going to look for the "pin" - I thought that the pin might be in the SB2 firmware or something like a MAC address, burned in at manufacture time. So I found player info, but still not pin... there was something about squeezenetwork info so I press that button... so the SB2 starts updating firmware... interups the music - my wife is trying to listen to meditation music... I'm not ready for this... but there is no cancel buton on the remote. So I guess because I did not have the 6.1b1 installed when I signed off the network the SB2 didn't know where else to go.

The remote needs somekind of OBVIOUS "oh hell I didn't mean that" button, I've run in to other problems like that where I wish I could just stop what is happening but there is no "stop" "cancel" or "go back" button (it is true that the right arrow preforms this function... BUT from a consumer products point of view, and from non-geek user prespective, the remote is not as "intuitive" as a toaster yet. A lot of hidden meaning. I understand that this is all beta stuff, so I'm not complaining, just passing on information about usibility.

In addition the lack of a "stop" button means that when I turn things "off" at night and try to start a new playlist in the morning the buffer is still full of the previous playlist and I get some funky sounds - a sorta SB2 buffer re-mix. I would be nice to have a "clear" way to "stop" the player at night, not just "pause" it, clearing the buffer.

So don't get me wrong I think this is a great system and I love my SB2 and I'm only trying to help.

So I'll go back home tonight after beginning to peice all the infomation together and try installing every thing the correct way. But also no one answered Khuli's question, and I had the same question when I installed 6.1... can we install over the top of an older version, so should we uninstall then reinstall?

vidurapparao
2005-06-29, 11:43
Whoa. Lots to respond to.

- The SqueezeNetwork PIN asssociated with each player is a way to
associate your Squeezebox2 (or many of them) with your SqueezeNetwork
account. When you first connect your SB2 to the SqueezeNetwork, it will
display a PIN. Subsequently, you can always find it when connected to
SqueezeNetwork via Settings > Squeezebox PIN. Note that this PIN is a
time-limited randomly-generated number sequence that does change, so
don't be surprised if you see a different number the next time you look.
Of course, you'll only need it once per player to associate your SB2
with your SN account.

- You do need to upgrade to SlimServer 6.1b1 before connecting to the
SqueezeNetwork - both use firmware 14. If you connected using an earlier
firmware revision, you'll be forced to update firmware.

- Press and hold PAUSE to "stop" the player.

- You can install a new version of SlimServer over an older version
without uninstalling on Windows and Mac. On rpm-based Linux
distributions you will have to do a rpm -U.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I missed anything.
--Vidur

glmason wrote:

>Well I'm sure I went about the whole thing the wrong way... But it does
>illistrate a point.
>
>It was before work, so not a lot of time, I was signing up for the
>Squeezenetwork and needed the "Pin" (so I had not really signed up yet)
>I looked for the pin via the sever's web interface, could find anything
>like it... so I thought oh must be the "setting" on the SB2. So went to
>the living room to use the remote on the SB2. Found "setting" (BTW I had
>not downloaded or set up the 6.1b1, though I did have the 6.1 from some
>nightly build I guess) but I was just going to look for the "pin" - I
>thought that the pin might be in the SB2 firmware or something like a
>MAC address, burned in at manufacture time. So I found player info, but
>still not pin... there was something about squeezenetwork info so I
>press that button... so the SB2 starts updating firmware... interups
>the music - my wife is trying to listen to meditation music... I'm not
>ready for this... but there is no cancel buton on the remote. So I
>guess because I did not have the 6.1b1 installed when I signed off the
>network the SB2 didn't know where else to go.
>
>The remote needs somekind of OBVIOUS "oh hell I didn't mean that"
>button, I've run in to other problems like that where I wish I could
>just stop what is happening but there is no "stop" "cancel" or "go
>back" button (it is true that the right arrow preforms this function...
>BUT from a consumer products point of view, and from non-geek user
>prespective, the remote is not as "intuitive" as a toaster yet. A lot
>of hidden meaning. I understand that this is all beta stuff, so I'm not
>complaining, just passing on information about usibility.
>
>In addition the lack of a "stop" button means that when I turn things
>"off" at night and try to start a new playlist in the morning the
>buffer is still full of the previous playlist and I get some funky
>sounds - a sorta SB2 buffer re-mix. I would be nice to have a "clear"
>way to "stop" the player at night, not just "pause" it, clearing the
>buffer.
>
>So don't get me wrong I think this is a great system and I love my SB2
>and I'm only trying to help.
>
>So I'll go back home tonight after beginning to peice all the
>infomation together and try installing every thing the correct way. But
>also no one answered Khuli's question, and I had the same question when
>I installed 6.1... can we install over the top of an older version, so
>should we uninstall then reinstall?
>
>
>
>

glmason
2005-06-29, 12:37
In the words of the King "Thank you very much."

> - Press and hold PAUSE to "stop" the player.

Intuitivily obvious - I rest my case. ;-)

Seriously thank you for your response.
Larry

street_samurai
2005-06-29, 15:10
Slim Devices would like to announce the release of SlimServer 6.1 Beta 1
and SqueezeNetwork Beta.

I'd first like to say that you guys ROCK! Thats a pretty serious list of bugs you fixed. Can't wait to try out the new features too.

A quick question to those that have installed it (espeically on Linux). How stable is the Beta? While tinkering with the SB has become a hobby of late, my girlfriend hates it when she can't get to her Morrissey collection on a moments notice.

Thanks again!

ss.

jth
2005-06-29, 16:15
A quick question to those that have installed it (espeically on Linux). How stable is the Beta? While tinkering with the SB has become a hobby of late, my girlfriend hates it when she can't get to her Morrissey collection on a moments notice.

If you have a SO and like to tinker around, my own experience tells me you're better off with your own Squeezebox and seperate server :)

If by stable you mean no crashes the beta is stable for me on NetBSD.

Mitch Harding
2005-06-29, 21:13
I just updated to this level from 6.0.2. It seems much snappier -- I
added my entire music collection as a playlist and it added and
shuffled within seconds. Before this would have brought the server to
its knees for a while. So kudos there.

However, my playlists seem to have disappeared. More precisely, the
Slimserver doesn't see them. The files are still as I left them, and
I checked and the playlist directory is still set correctly in
Slimserver. But when I browse playlists, none of them show up. Any
ideas?

Also, a minor bug. I did Browse Music -> Browse Artists and then went
to the top of the list where I expected to see "All Artists", but
instead it said "All Albums". Maybe that's as intended -- I can't
remember the previous behavior. Seems like it should say All Artists,
though.

Anyway, help on the playlists would be appreciated. Any way I can
force Slimserver to see them?

I haven't played around with SqueezeNetwork yet. I may try that over
the long holiday weekend.

On the whole, very nice. One of my biggest pet peeves was the
slowness to load large sets of songs.

Mitch

On 6/27/05, Vidur Apparao <vidur (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Slim Devices would like to announce the release of SlimServer 6.1 Beta 1
> and SqueezeNetwork Beta.
>
> Download here: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_beta.html
>
> Highlights of the SlimServer 6.1b1 release include:
>
> * Support for Slim Devices' Always-On Network Service:
> SqueezeNetwork on your Squeezebox2.
> * Improvements to our support for Internet Radio, including a Web
> Interface for the Shoutcast, radioio and Live365 radio directories.
> * Many performance improvements to browsing, scanning and playing
> your music library.
> * A new Podcast Plugin that allows you to use your Squeezebox to
> listen to your favorite podcasts...or browse some of our presets.
> * Many more improvements and bug fixes.
>
> You can read the detailed SlimServer 6.1b1 release notes at
> http://www.slimdevices.com/su_changelog.html.
>
> To use the SqueezeNetwork Beta, you will need to update your Squeezebox2
> firmware to revision 14 (included with SlimServer 6.1b1). You can then:
>
> * Connect your Squeezebox2 to SqueezeNetwork by choosing the
> "SqueezeNetwork" item from the player's Main Menu or from the
> Squeezebox2 Setup Menu.
> * Visit http://www.squeezenetwork.com to create an account,
> associate one or more players with your account, control your
> players remotely, and share Favorites & RSS Feeds.
> * Enjoy many of your favorite Squeezebox2 features - Internet Radio,
> RSS News, Alarm Clock (including many fun new alarm sounds) -
> without a computer.
>
> Please give both SlimServer 6.1b1 and SqueezeNetwork Beta a try. As
> always, post feedback to this forum and file bugs at
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com.
>
> The Slim Devices Team
>
>

Mitch Harding
2005-06-29, 21:24
Perhaps I spoke too soon.

I decided to really test the performance and started poking around in
some of the menu options that traditionally caused me performance
problems. Then I noticed that it only saw 86 artists in my library,
which is very low. So I did a full library wipe and rescan. This
caused the clocks on my SB2 and SB to pause for long periods of time,
as it did before. So that part of the DB hasn't been sped up, but if
that only happens when doing a rescan, I can live with it.

The rescan is still going after several minutes. I'll post my
observations once it completes. It may fix my playlist issue. I'll
be sure to test to see if the DB is snappy loading large playlists
once it gets done rescanning. I want to make sure that wasn't just a
product of my artificially small library.


On 6/29/05, Mitch Harding <mitcharf (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> I just updated to this level from 6.0.2. It seems much snappier -- I
> added my entire music collection as a playlist and it added and
> shuffled within seconds. Before this would have brought the server to
> its knees for a while. So kudos there.
>
> However, my playlists seem to have disappeared. More precisely, the
> Slimserver doesn't see them. The files are still as I left them, and
> I checked and the playlist directory is still set correctly in
> Slimserver. But when I browse playlists, none of them show up. Any
> ideas?
>
> Also, a minor bug. I did Browse Music -> Browse Artists and then went
> to the top of the list where I expected to see "All Artists", but
> instead it said "All Albums". Maybe that's as intended -- I can't
> remember the previous behavior. Seems like it should say All Artists,
> though.
>
> Anyway, help on the playlists would be appreciated. Any way I can
> force Slimserver to see them?
>
> I haven't played around with SqueezeNetwork yet. I may try that over
> the long holiday weekend.
>
> On the whole, very nice. One of my biggest pet peeves was the
> slowness to load large sets of songs.
>
> Mitch
>
> On 6/27/05, Vidur Apparao <vidur (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote:
> >
> > Slim Devices would like to announce the release of SlimServer 6.1 Beta 1
> > and SqueezeNetwork Beta.
> >
> > Download here: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_beta.html
> >
> > Highlights of the SlimServer 6.1b1 release include:
> >
> > * Support for Slim Devices' Always-On Network Service:
> > SqueezeNetwork on your Squeezebox2.
> > * Improvements to our support for Internet Radio, including a Web
> > Interface for the Shoutcast, radioio and Live365 radio directories..
> > * Many performance improvements to browsing, scanning and playing
> > your music library.
> > * A new Podcast Plugin that allows you to use your Squeezebox to
> > listen to your favorite podcasts...or browse some of our presets.
> > * Many more improvements and bug fixes.
> >
> > You can read the detailed SlimServer 6.1b1 release notes at
> > http://www.slimdevices.com/su_changelog.html.
> >
> > To use the SqueezeNetwork Beta, you will need to update your Squeezebox2
> > firmware to revision 14 (included with SlimServer 6.1b1). You can then:
> >
> > * Connect your Squeezebox2 to SqueezeNetwork by choosing the
> > "SqueezeNetwork" item from the player's Main Menu or from the
> > Squeezebox2 Setup Menu.
> > * Visit http://www.squeezenetwork.com to create an account,
> > associate one or more players with your account, control your
> > players remotely, and share Favorites & RSS Feeds.
> > * Enjoy many of your favorite Squeezebox2 features - Internet Radio,
> > RSS News, Alarm Clock (including many fun new alarm sounds) -
> > without a computer.
> >
> > Please give both SlimServer 6.1b1 and SqueezeNetwork Beta a try. As
> > always, post feedback to this forum and file bugs at
> > http://bugs.slimdevices.com.
> >
> > The Slim Devices Team
> >
> >

Mitch Harding
2005-06-29, 21:49
30 minutes or so after I started it, the scan is done. The playlists
are once again visible, and they load fairly quickly. So it all looks
good now, other than the "All Artists"/"All Albums" thing.

I'll post any new observations after I have a chance to test it more
extensively.

On 6/29/05, Mitch Harding <mitcharf (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> Perhaps I spoke too soon.
>
> I decided to really test the performance and started poking around in
> some of the menu options that traditionally caused me performance
> problems. Then I noticed that it only saw 86 artists in my library,
> which is very low. So I did a full library wipe and rescan. This
> caused the clocks on my SB2 and SB to pause for long periods of time,
> as it did before. So that part of the DB hasn't been sped up, but if
> that only happens when doing a rescan, I can live with it.
>
> The rescan is still going after several minutes. I'll post my
> observations once it completes. It may fix my playlist issue. I'll
> be sure to test to see if the DB is snappy loading large playlists
> once it gets done rescanning. I want to make sure that wasn't just a
> product of my artificially small library.
>
>
> On 6/29/05, Mitch Harding <mitcharf (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> > I just updated to this level from 6.0.2. It seems much snappier -- I
> > added my entire music collection as a playlist and it added and
> > shuffled within seconds. Before this would have brought the server to
> > its knees for a while. So kudos there.
> >
> > However, my playlists seem to have disappeared. More precisely, the
> > Slimserver doesn't see them. The files are still as I left them, and
> > I checked and the playlist directory is still set correctly in
> > Slimserver. But when I browse playlists, none of them show up. Any
> > ideas?
> >
> > Also, a minor bug. I did Browse Music -> Browse Artists and then went
> > to the top of the list where I expected to see "All Artists", but
> > instead it said "All Albums". Maybe that's as intended -- I can't
> > remember the previous behavior. Seems like it should say All Artists,
> > though.
> >
> > Anyway, help on the playlists would be appreciated. Any way I can
> > force Slimserver to see them?
> >
> > I haven't played around with SqueezeNetwork yet. I may try that over
> > the long holiday weekend.
> >
> > On the whole, very nice. One of my biggest pet peeves was the
> > slowness to load large sets of songs.
> >
> > Mitch
> >
> > On 6/27/05, Vidur Apparao <vidur (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Slim Devices would like to announce the release of SlimServer 6.1 Beta 1
> > > and SqueezeNetwork Beta.
> > >
> > > Download here: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_beta.html
> > >
> > > Highlights of the SlimServer 6.1b1 release include:
> > >
> > > * Support for Slim Devices' Always-On Network Service:
> > > SqueezeNetwork on your Squeezebox2.
> > > * Improvements to our support for Internet Radio, including a Web
> > > Interface for the Shoutcast, radioio and Live365 radio directories.
> > > * Many performance improvements to browsing, scanning and playing
> > > your music library.
> > > * A new Podcast Plugin that allows you to use your Squeezebox to
> > > listen to your favorite podcasts...or browse some of our presets..
> > > * Many more improvements and bug fixes.
> > >
> > > You can read the detailed SlimServer 6.1b1 release notes at
> > > http://www.slimdevices.com/su_changelog.html.
> > >
> > > To use the SqueezeNetwork Beta, you will need to update your Squeezebox2
> > > firmware to revision 14 (included with SlimServer 6.1b1). You can then:
> > >
> > > * Connect your Squeezebox2 to SqueezeNetwork by choosing the
> > > "SqueezeNetwork" item from the player's Main Menu or from the
> > > Squeezebox2 Setup Menu.
> > > * Visit http://www.squeezenetwork.com to create an account,
> > > associate one or more players with your account, control your
> > > players remotely, and share Favorites & RSS Feeds.
> > > * Enjoy many of your favorite Squeezebox2 features - Internet Radio,
> > > RSS News, Alarm Clock (including many fun new alarm sounds) -
> > > without a computer.
> > >
> > > Please give both SlimServer 6.1b1 and SqueezeNetwork Beta a try. As
> > > always, post feedback to this forum and file bugs at
> > > http://bugs.slimdevices.com.
> > >
> > > The Slim Devices Team
> > >
> > >

vidurapparao
2005-06-29, 23:14
Mitch Harding wrote:

>30 minutes or so after I started it, the scan is done. The playlists
>are once again visible, and they load fairly quickly. So it all looks
>good now, other than the "All Artists"/"All Albums" thing.
>
>
The "All Albums" item is as designed. You will generally see a 'All xxx"
at every level of the hierarchy, where xxx represents the next level
down - albums when you're viewing artists, songs when you're viewing
albums. An "All Artists" link while browsing artists would just get you
to the same page, no?

--Vidur

dip
2005-06-30, 00:34
The "All Albums" item is as designed. You will generally see a 'All xxx"
at every level of the hierarchy, where xxx represents the next level
down - albums when you're viewing artists, songs when you're viewing
albums. An "All Artists" link while browsing artists would just get you
to the same page, no?

--Vidur

I think that's not true. When I browse artists I should get an "All artists" line first followed by the artists seperately listed. I can than either play or add specific artists to the now playing playlist or all artists by using the first line. The same is true for albums, genre and so on.

kdf
2005-06-30, 01:14
Quoting dip <dip.1rfi4b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> vidurapparao Wrote:
> > The "All Albums" item is as designed. You will generally see a 'All xxx"
> >
> > at every level of the hierarchy, where xxx represents the next level
> > down - albums when you're viewing artists, songs when you're viewing
> > albums. An "All Artists" link while browsing artists would just get you
> >
> > to the same page, no?
> >
> > --Vidur
>
> I think that's not true. When I browse artists I should get an "All
> artists" line first followed by the artists seperately listed. I can
> than either play or add specific artists to the now playing playlist or
> all artists by using the first line. The same is true for albums, genre
> and so on.

adding all artists, or all albums at this level has the exact same effect.

the group that argues over the naming and behaviour of this meets on wednesdays
nights...

-kdf

Craig, James (IT)
2005-06-30, 02:14
>> I think that's not true. When I browse artists I should get an "All
>> artists" line first followed by the artists seperately listed. I can
>> than either play or add specific artists to the now playing playlist
or
>> all artists by using the first line. The same is true for albums,
genre
>> and so on.

> adding all artists, or all albums at this level has the exact same
effect.

> the group that argues over the naming and behaviour of this meets on
wednesdays
> nights...

Hey I raised a bug on this what feels like a long time ago...
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=915


James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

vidurapparao
2005-06-30, 08:14
dip wrote:

> ...
>
>I think that's not true. When I browse artists I should get an "All
>artists" line first followed by the artists seperately listed. I can
>than either play or add specific artists to the now playing playlist or
>all artists by using the first line. The same is true for albums, genre
>and so on.
>
>
All Albums emcompasses all the tracks associated with All Artists. So
hitting play or add on All Albums accomplishes the goal of getting the
songs of all artists. It's also a shortcut down to the next level of the
hierarchy, not filtered by a specific artist. I'm not disputing your
notion of what's intuitive to you, I'm just saying that's the way it's
been for quite a while.

dip
2005-07-01, 02:24
dip wrote:

> ...
>
>I think that's not true. When I browse artists I should get an "All
>artists" line first followed by the artists seperately listed. I can
>than either play or add specific artists to the now playing playlist or
>all artists by using the first line. The same is true for albums, genre
>and so on.
>
>
All Albums emcompasses all the tracks associated with All Artists. So
hitting play or add on All Albums accomplishes the goal of getting the
songs of all artists. It's also a shortcut down to the next level of the
hierarchy, not filtered by a specific artist. I'm not disputing your
notion of what's intuitive to you, I'm just saying that's the way it's
been for quite a while.
I did not realize that it's also a shortcut to the next level. I played a little around and meanwhile I got used to how it works (and I have to admit I begin to like the way it is ;)