PDA

View Full Version : New Squeezebox and Denon UD-M30: Volume problem

Jeepie
2005-06-26, 11:44
Hi,

Just received my new Squeezebox 2.

I have a problem with the volume level being too low.

I am attaching the Squeezebox to a Denon CD-Receiver Model UD-M30. I am using the Analog Audio RCA cables provided and have connected the red to the red on the Squeezebox and the red out on the Denon. The same with the white. Both cables are connected. I play MP3s.

To give you an understanding of the levels Iím talking about I normally play CDs on my Denon volume level 12. For the Squeezebox to be comparable to volume level 8 on my Denon I have to turn both the Denon and the Squeebox up to maximum: 40 and 32 respectively.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried an optical cable but the Squeezebox and Denon both have outs and no in. Yet when I connect via the headphone socket to a very cheap pair of battery powered travel speakers it sounds wonderful......

I would really appreciate your help.

Jeff52
2005-06-26, 12:43
Hi,

I am attaching the Squeezebox to a Denon CD-Receiver Model UD-M30. I am using the Analog Audio RCA cables provided and have connected the red to the red on the Squeezebox and the red out on the Denon. The same with the white.

I am not familiar with your receiver and maybe I am not reading your post correctly, but shouldn't you connect the Squeezebox RCA cables to one of the Denon audio INPUTS rather than output as stated in your post?

Khuli
2005-06-26, 12:59
Hi,
Any ideas on how to fix this? I have tried an optical cable but the Squeezebox and Denon both have outs and no in.

According to the manual there are 2 audio-in sockets - or are they otherwise being used?

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/DM30LIT.pdf

Jeepie
2005-06-26, 13:28
Hi,

Thanks for your replies! The RCA connections are to the IN on the Denon - nothing comes out if you attach them to the OUT - however the RCA IN just sound very very quiet. They are available but the issue is that the volume using RCA is too low.

Any further ideas? Thanks so far!

Jeepie
2005-06-26, 13:41
nothing comes out when connect to IN on Denon.

In summary the RCA cables connected to out sound very poor and no volume comes out until I turn up the Squeezebox to 30+. On max volume on the Denon and on the Squeezebox the volume is still "below average".

Jeff52
2005-06-26, 14:17
Sorry about your problems. To try to isolate the problem you might try connecting another component to one of the inputs on your Denon to see if you still have the same issue. If so, it is probably a problem with your receiver input stage. If not, you might have a problem with your Squeezebox. Good luck.

Khuli
2005-06-26, 14:19
Have you tried another hi-fi CD player or a cassette player in the same inputs?

Jeepie
2005-06-26, 14:24
Hi,

Thanks for your support. I'll do that. I'm going to see if I can borrow a CD player to connect up on the same inputs.

I'll post back - but it will take me a few days to do this test.

Thank you!

Simon
2005-06-27, 00:49
I guess you will have done this, but have you turned the digital volume on slimserver up to maximum?

Regards
Simon

Jeepie
2005-06-27, 10:12
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply. Yep - tried that. Perhaps a marginal effect. The main thing I don't understand is why a rubbish pair of travel speakers sound great (but obviously this isn't a sustainable solution) yet a lovely Denon stereo sounds rubbish.

Any ideas?

Any one know what the Dec is and how to change it?

Cheers

J

radish
2005-06-27, 15:03
nothing comes out when connect to IN on Denon

The SB2 MUST be connected to the ins. If you hear something when they're connected to the outs it must simply be crosstalk. Don't risk your speakers & amp by turning things up so loud! :)

So the question is, why can't you hear anything when connected to the ins? The obvious answer (and please don't think I'm speaking down to you by suggesting this) is that the wrong input is selected on the front panel. Try them all. Also look for any options/buttons to do with tape loops, they can cause weird issues like this.

Another thing worth checking is to connect the SB2 via it's headphone jack rather than RCA (you'll need an adapter - they're pretty easy to find). Make sure you turn everything down first though, don't want to damage anything (your hearing included).

Any one know what the Dec is and how to change it?
Dec? In what context?

Jeepie
2005-06-28, 14:06
I'll take a look again at the connections. I'm new to this stuff so don't worry about talking down to me. I really don't see it that way. Thanks for your advice.

J

Jeepie
2005-06-28, 14:18
Many thanks to everyone who helped me with this problem.

I am absoultely stupendously happy to be able to report that it is now FIXED!!!

The answer is mainly down to radish's last post, and my lack of knowledge - but I'll learn now!

FACT: I'd initially connected it to the INS on my Denon but nothing came out.

RED HERRING: So I connected it to the OUTS and got something OUT but in fact that seems now (as radish suggests) to have been just cross talk. I thought as I got nothing from the INS then the IN connection was wrong. I got something from the OUT so the OUT connection was right.

But the IN connection was correct.

SOLUTION:

Connect the Squeezebox to the INs on the stereo.

I have an all in one Denon which I use to play CDs only. Therefore I'd just left my Denon on the CD mode when I connected the Squeezebox. However, there are other modes which I'd forgotten about as I'd never used them.

So I cycled through them as Radish suggested:

1) It wasn't TUNER (radio)
2) It wasn't TAPE
3) It wasn't CD either

but there was another option

4) Suddenly with CD-R the whole room was awash with gloriously full, bright and detailed music. Saint Etienne never sounded so good!

JOY!

Thanks All!

It's fixed.

J

Jeff52
2005-06-29, 03:58
Glad you are up and running. Now enjoy some music!