PDA

View Full Version : Dead on arrival, or finger trouble?

ceejay
2005-06-24, 15:37
After many weeks of waiting, my new platinum SB2 (wireless) has just turned up. Hooray!

But.... I've just got from home from a LONG day at work, eagerly plugged everythng in... and absolutely nothing comes up on the display.

I've checked that the power supply is giving about 5V... and when its plugged in there is a faint red light visible behind the optical connector - so I probably have power.

But the display remains completely dead. I've tried fiddling with the remote (and have checked the batteries therein) but no joy. Any suggestions? Or does it have to go back on Monday?

kdf
2005-06-24, 15:59
Quoting ceejay <ceejay.1r5k0n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> After many weeks of waiting, my new platinum SB2 (wireless) has just
> turned up. Hooray!
>
> But.... I've just got from home from a LONG day at work, eagerly
> plugged everythng in... and absolutely nothing comes up on the
> display.
>
> I've checked that the power supply is giving about 5V... and when its
> plugged in there is a faint red light visible behind the optical
> connector - so I probably have power.
>
> But the display remains completely dead. I've tried fiddling with the
> remote (and have checked the batteries therein) but no joy. Any
> suggestions? Or does it have to go back on Monday?

check teh general discussion forum for a very recent post with nearly teh same
subject for instructions.
-kdf

ceejay
2005-06-24, 16:04
kdf - many thanks for pointing this out. As it happened I was probably finding that thread even as you were writing (I know I should have looked more first, but you can imagine how frustrated I was feeling!!). So I found the discussion, and Sean's instructions, followed them and - it works! I guess mine must have been in the same crate!

Judt in case someone else reading this finds this thread before the other one, its at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=14783

Just as well that Slim purchasers have Torx screwdrivers to hand, I guess that says something about the target market!

regards
ceejay

kdf
2005-06-24, 21:35
On 24-Jun-05, at 4:04 PM, ceejay wrote:

>
> kdf - many thanks for pointing this out. As it happened I was probably
> finding that thread even as you were writing (I know I should have
> looked more first, but you can imagine how frustrated I was feeling!!).
>
sorry I didn't provide the direct link myself. i accessing via email,
so its not very convenient to go tracking down forum thread links :)

-k

seanadams
2005-06-26, 10:09
Just as well that Slim purchasers have Torx screwdrivers to hand, I guess that says something about the target market!

Heh... normally they never need to be opened. :)

The torx screws can easily be removed with a small allen (hex) wrench or a flat-head screwdriver. We use them not to keep people out, but because they're faster to install and there aren't issues with the tool slipping.

Fifer
2005-06-26, 11:31
Most small-bladed electrician's screwdrivers are perfect for this size of torx head.