PDA

View Full Version : Help w slimserver and NAS

dnighorn
2005-06-24, 12:44
I have a pc that is running itunes and slimserver. All of my music is on a NAS. The NAS music share is mapped to K:\ on the pc. Itunes sees my music but the slimserver doesn't. It keeps saying that K:\ is not a valid location. If I change the library location toc: then it works. Can the slimserver not see networked drives? Please help!

David

mherger
2005-06-24, 12:55
> I have a pc that is running itunes and slimserver. All of my music is
> on a NAS. The NAS music share is mapped to K:\ on the pc. Itunes sees
> my music but the slimserver doesn't. It keeps saying that K:\ is not a
> valid location. If I change the library location toc: then it works.
> Can the slimserver not see networked drives? Please help!

It's in the docs:

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-sharedvolume

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

dean
2005-06-24, 13:00
Does this help:

<http://www.slimdevices.com/su_faq.html#troubleshooting-sharedvolume>

On Jun 24, 2005, at 12:44 PM, dnighorn wrote:

>
> I have a pc that is running itunes and slimserver. All of my music is
> on a NAS. The NAS music share is mapped to K:\ on the pc. Itunes
> sees
> my music but the slimserver doesn't. It keeps saying that K:\ is
> not a
> valid location. If I change the library location toc: then it works.
> Can the slimserver not see networked drives? Please help!
>
> David
>
>
> --
> dnighorn
>

sbhatla
2005-06-24, 17:31
I have a very similar problem. I run Slimserver (v6.x) on a G4 500 with Mac OS X 10.4.1. If I store the mp3 files on a local drive, Slimserver serves them up just fine. If I store the mp3 files on a NAS (Terastation), Slimserver goes to 100% of CPU capacity and gets completely bogged down. iTunes has no such problems.

Any ideas?

Sunil.

dnighorn
2005-06-24, 20:26
That did the trick. I really appreciate the folks that took the trouble to find the FAQ link and post it here. Other forums tend not to be so friendly.

Thank you so much!

David

Hallucigenia
2005-12-29, 07:18
OK. I've got the same problem - SlimServer won't see my terastation as a valid directory. I've read the FAQ link and just don't understand it. Specifically, this bit:

"Click on the Log On tab, then click This Account and enter the account information for the user account that has access to the network volume. (Note: The user account for the service must be protected by a password for this to work.)"

This is my home PC, so I'm always logged on as the Administrator. I've set up a password from the 'User Accounts' bit of the Control Panel, but that hasn't work.

Help! I'm beginning to feel like I've wasted £500 on a piece of kit that doesn't do what I need it to do...

slimpy
2005-12-29, 07:48
OK. I've got the same problem - SlimServer won't see my terastation as a valid directory. I've read the FAQ link and just don't understand it. Specifically, this bit:

"Click on the Log On tab, then click This Account and enter the account information for the user account that has access to the network volume. (Note: The user account for the service must be protected by a password for this to work.)"

This is my home PC, so I'm always logged on as the Administrator. I've set up a password from the 'User Accounts' bit of the Control Panel, but that hasn't work.

Help! I'm beginning to feel like I've wasted £500 on a piece of kit that doesn't do what I need it to do...
Services run under a system user, not your personal user (regardless if your user has administrator rights). This system user cannot access network shares. You therfore need to configure the slimserver service to run under an account that can, e.g. your personal account.
"To do this, visit Control Panels -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Find SlimServer and double-click to view the properties. Click on the "Log On" tab, then click "This Account" (instead of "Local System account") and enter the account information for the user account that has access to the network volume (= your user name). (Note: The user account for the service must be protected by a password for this to work. (= you need to have a password set for your user account)) "

So you feel like you've wasted £500 on a terastation? ;)

-s.

Hallucigenia
2005-12-29, 11:27
Thanks for quoting back to me the bit of the FAQ that I don't understand. Very helpful :P

Where do I find "the account information for the user account that has access to the network volume"?

And yes, if I can't get Slimserver to acknowledge the existence of the Terastation then I probably have wasted £500...

jonheal
2005-12-29, 12:23
Thanks for quoting back to me the bit of the FAQ that I don't understand. Very helpful :P

Where do I find "the account information for the user account that has access to the network volume"?

And yes, if I can't get Slimserver to acknowledge the existence of the Terastation then I probably have wasted £500...

Quoting from the Terastations Quick Start Guide:

"\\TeraStation_Name\share, where TeraStation_Name is the friendly, easy-to-remember name you gave your TeraStation on page 5. If you set up other shares on your TeraStation, you may map them by substituting their share name for “share” in the Folder: fi eld."

Are you using this value as the path to your music folder?

jonheal
2005-12-29, 12:27

This page describes configuring serivces:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm