PDA

View Full Version : Slimserer from command prompt



Roy Owen
2005-06-22, 04:36
I tried submiting from the forum but received no answer.

I've noticed that if I start Slim.exe from a command prompt (the same holds
true for slimserver.pl) with an asynchronous launcher, the program never
starts. Just starting from a command line it works fine. Due to networking
limitations I am unable to run SS as a service, I would however like to run
SS without a dos window open. Is this a slimserver problem or an active perl
problem?

--
Do meddle in the affairs of Dragons,
for you are crunchy and good with Tabasco.

mherger
2005-06-22, 05:52
> I tried submiting from the forum but received no answer.

Forum or mailing list - there's no difference. I got your first mail, too,
but do not have an answer. That's why I'll ask some questions :-).

> I've noticed that if I start Slim.exe from a command prompt (the same
> holds
> true for slimserver.pl) with an asynchronous launcher, the program never

What's that asynchronous launcher?

> starts. Just starting from a command line it works fine. Due to

Does your log (slimserver.log) file contain any information about the
failure?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Roy Owen
2005-06-22, 06:12
On 6/22/05, Michael Herger <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net> wrote:
>
> > I tried submiting from the forum but received no answer.
>
> Forum or mailing list - there's no difference. I got your first mail, too,
> but do not have an answer. That's why I'll ask some questions :-).
>
> > I've noticed that if I start Slim.exe from a command prompt (the same
> > holds
> > true for slimserver.pl) with an asynchronous launcher, the program never
>
> What's that asynchronous launcher?

An asynchronous launcher uses a Windows API call to create a new process in
it's own memory space and thread. If used from a command prompt one can
close the command window without closing the new process.


>
> > starts. Just starting from a command line it works fine. Due to
>
> Does your log (slimserver.log) file contain any information about the
> failure?

The log file never gets created.

> --
>
> Michael
>
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> Help translate SlimServer by using the
> StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)
>

mherger
2005-06-22, 06:18
>> Does your log (slimserver.log) file contain any information about the
>> failure?
>
> The log file never gets created.

As you seem to develop that launcher youself, any chance to grab
slim.exe's output? Are you sure it's actually launching the task (maybe it
does not find the executable)? Is that launcher run with another user's
credentials?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

kdf
2005-06-22, 08:49
Quoting Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com>:

> I tried submiting from the forum but received no answer.
>
> I've noticed that if I start Slim.exe from a command prompt (the same holds
> true for slimserver.pl) with an asynchronous launcher, the program never
> starts. Just starting from a command line it works fine. Due to networking
> limitations I am unable to run SS as a service, I would however like to run
> SS without a dos window open. Is this a slimserver problem or an active perl
> problem?

Its been a while since I've tried running as a service, but you could try
Firedaemon. I don't think that left a dos box open.

-kdf

Roy Owen
2005-06-22, 10:36
Even with Firedaemon I am unable to reach the network share I need to
however, I have bigger problems. I found part of my problem is that another
exe of the same name exists on my PC. I've fixed that but now slim.exe is
forcing the command window to stay open, other exe's don't do that but they
are native windows apps.

On 6/22/05, kdf <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> Quoting Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com>:
>
> > I tried submiting from the forum but received no answer.
> >
> > I've noticed that if I start Slim.exe from a command prompt (the same
> holds
> > true for slimserver.pl) with an asynchronous launcher, the program never
> > starts. Just starting from a command line it works fine. Due to
> networking
> > limitations I am unable to run SS as a service, I would however like to
> run
> > SS without a dos window open. Is this a slimserver problem or an active
> perl
> > problem?
>
> Its been a while since I've tried running as a service, but you could try
> Firedaemon. I don't think that left a dos box open.
>
> -kdf
>

JJZolx
2005-06-22, 10:49
Even with Firedaemon I am unable to reach the network share I need
Is this a problem that can't be fixed? Do you know why, when run as a service, SlimServer can't access the network share?

Roy Owen
2005-06-22, 11:01
This is a windows problem. Maped drives are not available to services even
if they are run with a named user account.

On 6/22/05, JJZolx <JJZolx.1r1h9b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Roy Owen Wrote:
> > Even with Firedaemon I am unable to reach the network share I need
> Is this a problem that can't be fixed? Do you know why, when run as a
> service, SlimServer can't access the network share?
>
>
> --
> JJZolx
>
> Jim
>

JJZolx
2005-06-22, 11:10
This is a windows problem. Maped drives are not available to services even
if they are run with a named user account.

Use a UNC share name to designate the music directory (or in any Windows network links). A UNC name looks like

\\<machine_name>\<share_name>

For example

\\MusicServer\Music

Roy Owen
2005-06-22, 11:17
I was under the impression that slimserver couldn't use UNC naming
conventions. I'll give it a try and let you all know what happens.

On 6/22/05, JJZolx <JJZolx.1r1iez (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Roy Owen Wrote:
> > This is a windows problem. Maped drives are not available to services
> > even
> > if they are run with a named user account.
>
> Use a UNC share name to designate the music directory (or in any
> Windows network links). A UNC name looks like
>
> \\<machine_name>\<share_name>
>
> For example
>
> \\MusicServer\Music
>
>
> --
> JJZolx
>
> Jim
>

Roy Owen
2005-06-22, 11:39
Nope, no dice. I did get the Asynchronous launcher working. Needed to wait
just a little longer for the startup.

On 6/22/05, Roy Owen <yddraig (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> I was under the impression that slimserver couldn't use UNC naming
> conventions. I'll give it a try and let you all know what happens.
>
> On 6/22/05, JJZolx < JJZolx.1r1iez (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Roy Owen Wrote:
> > > This is a windows problem. Maped drives are not available to services
> > > even
> > > if they are run with a named user account.
> >
> > Use a UNC share name to designate the music directory (or in any
> > Windows network links). A UNC name looks like
> >
> > \\<machine_name>\<share_name>
> >
> > For example
> >
> > \\MusicServer\Music
> >
> >
> > --
> > JJZolx
> >
> > Jim
> >

JJZolx
2005-06-22, 11:44
I was under the impression that slimserver couldn't use UNC naming
conventions. I'll give it a try and let you all know what happens.

Should work fine so long as the share and file/directory permissions (ACLs) are set correctly.

The most important thing is to run the service under a user account rather than the local SYSTEM account, which has cannot access any network resources.

If you want to run the compiled version of Windows SlimServer as a service there shouldn't be a need to use FireDaemon. Run the Windows installer and allow the wizard to install it as a service. After the installation, you'll need to open up Services from the Control Panel, find SlimServer and set the user account and password, then restart the service.

Running the Perl version would require either FireDaemon or the Windows Resource Kit's SRVANY to run as a service. You'll need to do the same thing - run the service under a user account - if you want to be able to access network shares.

This resource kit download below is for both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Roy Owen
2005-06-22, 11:53
Once we cut over to Windows 2003 AD services this should work fine. Right
now we are using Novell Netware and services that need to access network
shares are very tricky. Besides running a console app in a thread without a
console is not the same as running as a service. Yes the STDIN and STDOUT
are pointed to NUL but that does not make it a service.

On 6/22/05, JJZolx <JJZolx.1r1jsz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Roy Owen Wrote:
> > I was under the impression that slimserver couldn't use UNC naming
> > conventions. I'll give it a try and let you all know what happens.
>
> Should work fine so long as the share and file/directory permissions
> (ACLs) are set correctly.
>
> The most important thing is to run the service under a user account
> rather than the local SYSTEM account, which has cannot access any
> network resources.
>
> If you want to run the compiled version of Windows SlimServer as a
> service there shouldn't be a need to use FireDaemon. Run the Windows
> installer and allow the wizard to install it as a service. After the
> installation, you'll need to open up Services from the Control Panel,
> find SlimServer and set the user account and password, then restart the
> service.
>
> Running the Perl version would require either FireDaemon or the Windows
> Resource Kit's SRVANY to run as a service. You'll need to do the same
> thing - run the service under a user account - if you want to be able
> to access network shares.
>
> This resource kit download below is for both Windows XP and Windows
> Server 2003:
>
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en
>
>
> --
> JJZolx
>
> Jim
>

Dan Sully
2005-06-22, 12:13
This is great material for the Wiki.. :)

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/

* JJZolx shaped the electrons to say...

>Roy Owen Wrote:
>> I was under the impression that slimserver couldn't use UNC naming
>> conventions. I'll give it a try and let you all know what happens.
>
>Should work fine so long as the share and file/directory permissions
>(ACLs) are set correctly.
>
>The most important thing is to run the service under a user account
>rather than the local SYSTEM account, which has cannot access any
>network resources.
>
>If you want to run the compiled version of Windows SlimServer as a
>service there shouldn't be a need to use FireDaemon. Run the Windows
>installer and allow the wizard to install it as a service. After the
>installation, you'll need to open up Services from the Control Panel,
>find SlimServer and set the user account and password, then restart the
>service.
>
>Running the Perl version would require either FireDaemon or the Windows
>Resource Kit's SRVANY to run as a service. You'll need to do the same
>thing - run the service under a user account - if you want to be able
>to access network shares.
>
>This resource kit download below is for both Windows XP and Windows
>Server 2003:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

-D
--
"This basis of our government being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right;
and were it left to me to decided whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a
government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter." - Thomas Jefferson