PDA

View Full Version : Battery powered SB2?

WSLam
2005-06-21, 21:55
Has anyone tried a battery powered SB2?

WSLam
2005-06-23, 23:14
Guess this topic is too 'obsessed' for most people to respond. =)

just a follow up, i AM going to make it battery powered.

I have a few 40W Digital Camera Battery (www.digitalcamerabattery.com) lying around. These are great little batteries, capable of deliverying diff output using diff cables. I just ordered one that will work with the SB2. So I can use the DCB + the cable to power the SB2. Just for fun! =)

Maditude
2005-06-23, 23:58
just a follow up, i AM going to make it battery powered.
=)
Heh, good luck with that project! Though I'm trying to figure out why you'd want to do that -- making the biggest/bad-assest portable mp3 player? ;-)

corwin
2005-06-24, 01:24
My only concern is that battery power sometimes reduces bass output "punch." Please do some comparisons between the camera battery and the wall wart. I am debating doing something similar or doing a linear power supply.

The question is, the camera battery you mention has a cable for 6v. Is 6v too hot for the SB2, or will the SB2 be ok with that input? Also, what is the realistic draw on the SB2

Aylwin
2005-06-24, 03:48
Are you going to use the analog outputs? If yes, it might be worth a try. If not, then what benefit would there be?

corwin
2005-06-24, 06:03
For the short term, yes. Nice outboard DAC will come, but right now my deck is a combined transport/DAC.

WSLam
2005-06-24, 13:28
They have a 5V cable. I emailed the owner of DCB. It's on the way! =)

WSLam
2005-06-28, 10:47
Time to report back to the thread.
5V cable for the DCB has arrived.
Hook it up right away.
Initial impression... the PSU plays little role in how the Digital Out sounds.
Is there improvement. Yes, but i will be lying if i say I can tell them apart in a blind test.
The highs are slightly less congested with the battery, and seems to be just a tad more airy.
This is comparing the SB2 using the PowerPlant 600 though, not straight from powerline. maybe the PP600 already does a great job?!
interesting little experinment. Maybe i should power my placette with the battery as well?!

GordyInMA-USA
2005-07-02, 14:01
I too am interested in battery power for my wireless SB2. If I can find or make a battery pack that will safely run my SB2, it will allow my SB2 to be truly portable! I can set it up on my back yard or on my deck with a good set of battery powered speakers and I'll be in business with no wires to hinder me.

If you have put together something that works, please let me know how you did it in detail.

Many thanks,
Gordy

WSLam
2005-07-03, 22:04
Hi Gordy,
The solution I mentioned above works, but it will be expensive. The battery itself is more expensive then the SB2! But it really does work.
Digital Camera Battery (40W) + 5V cable.

ws

Vinnie R.
2005-07-14, 06:00
Hi Gordy,
The solution I mentioned above works, but it will be expensive. The battery itself is more expensive then the SB2! But it really does work.
Digital Camera Battery (40W) + 5V cable.

ws

All,

Currently I'm running a 12V SLA battery to a 5V linear regulator to feed my SB2. I'm using the analog outputs (which I've modified) and am very impressed with the results so far! There is A TON of potential in the SB2 that makes me wonder if it is even worth using an external dac.

I believe the next big improvement is bringing in the 12V off the battery to replace the output of the 14V internal switcher IC...which feeds the 5V and 3.3V regulators, which are critical to the analog output performance. If I wasn't going to try this, I'd just use a 6V SLA and a 5V linear regulator to feed the SB2....less waste, less heat!

One more thing...I'm using the volume controlled analog outputs feeding a Clari-T-Amp with no volume control. The SB2's digital volume control (done digitally before the DAC) sounds surprisingly very good IMO! There are 40 steps of volume, and using the remote control is very convenient too :-) Not having to install an analog volume control on the amp keeps the circuit path minimal, which is yielding amazing transparency.

As I said above, I'm finding that there is a ton of potential in this SB2!