PDA

View Full Version : Playling from an internet server

Alexis
2005-06-16, 01:49
Hello
I have purchased a Roku Soundbridge M500, and I use slimserver. I want to know if it's possible to run the server on a distant PC.
The idea: diagram.jpg

I think it's not possible with the actual slimserver software, even if Soundbridge doesn't need a connected PC to work.
But, is there any plug-in that could do that miracle ?

Thank you very much :)

Jim
2005-06-16, 01:55
Ask Roku. This is a board for owners of Slim Device's SlimMP3/Squeezebox/Squeezebox2 and people who use SoftSqueeze.

You bought Roku's product so let THEM support it.

kdf
2005-06-16, 02:02
it may be possible, but the Roku hardware is not supported for use with
slimserver from this forum. You will have to check on the Roku forums.

the SlimDevices squeezebox (sold from this very website) has been reported to
work when connecting to a remote server, with the right Firewall settings. You
also have the option of connecting to SqueezeNetwork instead of running your
own server

-kdf

Alexis
2005-06-16, 02:27
Ok, thank you for your help, and sorry for annoying...
Bye

kdf
2005-06-16, 02:46
Quoting Alexis <Alexis.1qpq3z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Ok, thank you for your help, and sorry for annoying...
>
you are asking a question regarding hardware that is not provided by the people
who host this site. It works with slimserver, but only using their own
emulator which they admit isn't perfect. With no support from them on this
forum, there is no way you will be able to get any info or support from the
slimserver side for supporting the roku hardware or its connection to
slimserver. its as simple as that.

you are not being annoying. making a product that takes from open source
efforts and leaving them to shoulder the burden of support for closed
hardware...THAT is annoying.

-kdf

Alexis
2005-06-16, 07:13
The only reason I choosed the roku product was because it can work without a PC connected on a local network.
The fonctions of network (remote) server with squeezebox2 could be very interesting for us.
What is exactly the squeezeNetwork ? Does it means that I can create my own Network and share my files ?
I think that: "Sharing your playlists with your friends or everyone" is what I want to do. Can you confirm ?
I'm gonna buy a slimdevice right now to test it.

radish
2005-06-16, 08:04
Basic summary:

A squeezebox (or any other slimdevices player) needs to connect to a slimserver to work. Traditionally, you'd run that slimserver locally on your pc. The server provides access to your mp3s etc, and also provides facilities like internet radio streaming to the player. The player really doesn't care where the server is (it could be on the other side of the world) it just needs to be able to see it (which means that firewalls/proxies can get in the way). Multiple players can each connect to a single server, and can listen to different music(dependent on available bandwidth of course).

SqueezeNetwork is essentially an instance of slimserver running on a public server which anyone can connect to. Currently it allows you to listen to internet streaming radio stations without having your own slimserver, it also provides functions like an alarm clock. If you want to listen to your own music files, you will still need your own server.

The only reason I choosed the roku product was because it can work without a PC connected on a local network

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It has to get the files from somewhere - if not a PC, then where? Or do you mean it can play radio streams on it's own? If so, then SqueezeNetwork should provide the same functionality.

corwin
2005-06-16, 10:41
I can confirm, I have a SB and softsqueeze that connects in Hong Kong to a server in the US. It "just works" as it should.

Alexis
2005-06-16, 11:37
Basic summary:

(...) Multiple players can each connect to a single server, and can listen to different music(dependent on available bandwidth of course)..
Yes, I read this on the FAQ, and that is exactly what we want to do.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It has to get the files from somewhere - if not a PC, then where? Or do you mean it can play radio streams on it's own? If so, then SqueezeNetwork should provide the same functionality.

Not from a PC on a local network, but anywhere on the net like corwin said. Our goal is to share our playlists to our clients.
The simplest solution would be to stream a webradio, but in this case, all our clients hear the same program.
We want to propose a personalized radio for each client, with its own music.
(Do you see what I mean? Sorry, I probably make a lost of mistakes in english.. :-/ )
It seems that the squeezenetwork is the ultimate solution :)
But the problem is that our clients don't have a PC !
Corwin, do you need to have your PC online ?

Thanks !

radish
2005-06-16, 12:11
If all you're trying to do is have a bunch of SBs in remote locations all make use of the same song library, then you don't need SqueezeNetwork. You'll just need a single server at your location to host the song library, with a decent net connection. Then point all your remote SBs to it. No PCs are needed at the remote locations.

Alexis
2005-06-16, 12:30
If all you're trying to do is have a bunch of SBs in remote locations all make use of the same song library, then you don't need SqueezeNetwork. You'll just need a single server

You mean slimserver I suppose ?

at your location to host the song library, with a decent net connection.
Decent... more than that ! We hope to have 500-1000 clients current 2006.

Then point all your remote SBs to it.
SBs or squeezebox, no ?
Concretely, how can I point a client to a server? I didn't found this information in any FAQ ...

No PCs are needed at the remote locations.
Great!

kdf
2005-06-16, 13:44
Quoting Alexis <Alexis.1qqfkn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> We want to propose a personalized radio for each client, with its own
> music.
> (Do you see what I mean? Sorry, I probably make a lost of mistakes in
> english.. :-/ )
> It seems that the squeezenetwork is the ultimate solution :)
> But the problem is that our clients don't have a PC !
> Corwin, do you need to have your PC online ?

SqueezeNetwork is currently in Beta (or maybe only Alpha?). Its available to
all users of SB2 with Slimserver 6.1 nightly builds. The current features
support access to radioIO, Shoutcast, and Live Music Archive (Live365 as well,
if I recall), and alarm clock. The features will expand. Sharing of playlists
has been mentioned. I'm not sure what the requirements will be for source
music in those cases.

-kdf

radish
2005-06-16, 14:22
You mean slimserver I suppose ?

Yes

SBs or squeezebox, no ?

SB=SqueezeBox. All the SlimDevices players work in basically the same way (or rather, speak the same protocol) - so that's Slimp3, SB, SBG, SB2 and SoftSqueeze to be exhaustive.

Concretely, how can I point a client to a server? I didn't found this information in any FAQ ...

When you switch the player on, it will search the local subnet for a server. If it doesn't find one, it will ask where the server is. Give it the IP. Provided there are no proxies or other roadblocks in the way, it will connect and you're all set.

For the number of clients you're talking about, my feeling is you'll need more than one box to handle the load. SlimDevices themselves are probably the only people who've tried connecting that many players!

Alexis
2005-06-17, 00:20
Yes

SB=SqueezeBox. All the SlimDevices players work in basically the same way (or rather, speak the same protocol) - so that's Slimp3, SB, SBG, SB2 and SoftSqueeze to be exhaustive.
I've found very few informations about slimp3, I don't even know where to buy it !
And what is SBG ?

When you switch the player on, it will search the local subnet for a server. If it doesn't find one, it will ask where the server is. Give it the IP. Provided there are no proxies or other roadblocks in the way, it will connect and you're all set.

Ok, I will try. I just hope that my clients will not have to setup the IP each time they start the squeezebox !

For the number of clients you're talking about, my feeling is you'll need more than one box to handle the load. SlimDevices themselves are probably the only people who've tried connecting that many players!
Obviously, we will have to test a lot before. In the FAQ it's mentioned that a slimserver can supports up to 12 clients... or more... It would be interesting for us to have more precise informations, but as you said, Slimdevices had probably not tried.

Kdf, you speak about requirements for the source music. Do you mean hardware or software? of twice ?
"sharing playlist has been mentioned" - It's not yet functional ?

kdf
2005-06-17, 00:59
Quoting Alexis <Alexis.1qrezn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> radish Wrote:
> > Yes
> >
> >
> > SB=SqueezeBox. All the SlimDevices players work in basically the same
> > way (or rather, speak the same protocol) - so that's Slimp3, SB, SBG,
> > SB2 and SoftSqueeze to be exhaustive.
> I've found very few informations about slimp3, I don't even know where
> to buy it !

Slimp3: probably only found on ebay now, character display only (VFD), mp3
native only.

Squeezebox: character display as well, accepts mp3 and WAV input. other formats
transcoded.

SBG, SqueezeboxG: same as above, but with a graphical display (bitmapped)

SB2: more buffer, greyscal graphics, higher res, MP3, WAV and FLAC native
playback.

> Kdf, you speak about requirements for the source music. Do you mean
> hardware or software? of twice ?
> "sharing playlist has been mentioned" - It's not yet functional ?

SqueezeNetwork is in early stages. Some features are only ideas, some are there
for the enjoyment. Playlist sharing is a phrase that I have seen. What this
means exactly is hard to say. Source is important becuase of copyrights.
Sharing a playlist is one thing if everyone has the same music, you can share
the common order of playback. However, Sharing the actual music owned by one
person to another is a bit more of a step, not to mention bandwidth.

if you plan to run music to many clients, you could look into creating a
broadcast service with a plugin to Squeezenetwork. clients can then connect to
SqueezeNetwork, and sibscribed users can access your service via that
interface. This would be much live Live365 is now through squeezenetwork

If you have ordered an SB2, you will soon understand much more once you can see
it all for yourself.
-kdf

carlosasw20
2012-02-07, 08:08
I used to listen to my favorite radio stream here from Brazil,Radio Eldorado FM 103.7 São Paulo Brazil,first as a ShoutCast station and then as a Tune In station.Now,the station keeps listed and available in both apps,but for some reason the stream doesn`t play anymore.I happened to buy my two squeezebox radios and my squeezebox duet just because of this particular station.Can somebody help me?
Carlos

toby10
2012-02-08, 06:12
Carlos,
Are you trying to play that station from your Favorites or are you searching for it via Internet Radio, TuneIn, and ShoutCast?
If from Favorites the station may have changed it's URL.
If from new searches that station may have converted to a format (like AAC) that your players cannot play without being connected to the Logitech server running on your computer.