PDA

View Full Version : [Announce] SlimCD - SlimServer on a live CD



mherger
2005-06-15, 05:55
I've been tinkering a Linux live CD with one single purpose: run
slimserver and softsqueeze without the need to install anything. It's
based on DSL/Knoppix and features the following:

- SlimServer 6.1 (upgradable to the latest nightly build)
- SoftSqueeze 2.0
- FireFox
- A few plugins like
Advanced Alarm
Album Review
AlienBBC
Biography
Extended Synchronize
Quick Access
Random Play
Shadow Play
- Perl 5.8.6, Java 1.5, mplayer

Well, this isn't so damn small as it's ancestor... But still: it's only a
90MB download available from
http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763

Now if someone could get this to run from a USB stick... (should be
possible, but I don't have a machine which can do this trick).

Have fun!

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

mherger
2005-06-15, 11:06
There's still a problem with the reply-to header. Your answer went to me
personally.

> Excellent work, Michael. Gotta carry this around with me everywhere!

My original plan was to have this image on a memory stick which is
writable and use the HD only for the music files. This could give a nice
and quiet fileserver: shut down the HD if there's no music playing.

> I've posted it on the Plugins page on the web site, feel free to cross
> post this to the Plugins forum.

I did not know where to post. If "plugins" was called "third party" or
"contribs"... Thanks for the free ticket to cross post :-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Jim
2005-06-15, 14:20
Downloading now, I like the idea of this to try out how is Slimserver under Linux. Always great to see people doing neat things.

2 points to make though.

1 - The file is a .iso file, for bandwith wouldn't it be worth zipping or raring it?

2 - I don't know your hosting arrangements but to save you money/bandwith wouldn't it make sense releasing it as a torrent or on the emule network? Of course, the nice guys at slimdevices.com could always host it :D

seanadams
2005-06-15, 15:17
Cool - I might just give this a try since the filesystem on my Mandrake machine just took a dump (figuratively).

If you want us to mirror, we do have a few Mbps to spare at the moment. Let me know.

mherger
2005-06-15, 21:39
> Downloading now, I like the idea of this to try out how is Slimserver
> under Linux. Always great to see people doing neat things.

I hope you like it.

> 1 - The file is a .iso file, for bandwith wouldn't it be worth zipping
> or raring it?

Not worth the effort: with zip -9 I won 1%. This is little surprising as
the idea behind Knoppix & co. is to have a highly compressed system image
on a CD. I think Knoppix packs >2GB on a CD. SlimCD contains more than
200MB of data.

> 2 - I don't know your hosting arrangements but to save you

Unlimited traffic - I'll test their word :-). Yesterday's/tonight's
downloads of the iso file represent almost half of this year's traffic for
that domain... I have access to two other machines, will think about a
mirroring mechanism.

How was the download rate? From the stats they're publishing they should
have plenty of bandwith available.

> money/bandwith wouldn't it make sense releasing it as a torrent or on
> the emule network? Of course, the nice guys at slimdevices.com could
> always host it :D

I don't have root access to these machines, they are web hosting only. But
well, if SD wants to jump in, I won't say no.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

mherger
2005-06-15, 21:46
> Cool - I might just give this a try since the filesystem on my Mandrake
> machine just took a dump (figuratively).

If the music is on the same file system you'll be lost. There's no network
filesystem client built-in (not sure whether NFS is by default). But I was
thinking about integrating samba.

> If you want us to mirror, we do have a few Mbps to spare at the moment.
> Let me know.

Thanks! I'd be happy to do so, but have no idea how this would work.

I'm monitoring the downloads. I'm quite surprised about last night's
number of downloads. But this was the first rush. I guess it will quickly
calm down.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Jim
2005-06-16, 01:58
Not worth the effort: with zip -9 I won 1%.
Yeah, once downloaded I realised that!


How was the download rate? From the stats they're publishing they should have plenty of bandwith available.
I was getting about 35k/sec with a download manager (I was being naughty and using 4 slots)

P.S. Your website - I wanted to checkout some of the plugins. You describe them well, but where are the download links!?

mherger
2005-06-16, 02:16
> mherger Wrote:
>> How was the download rate? From the stats they're publishing they should
>> have plenty of bandwith available.
> I was getting about 35k/sec with a download manager (I was being
> naughty and using 4 slots)

Hmm... I can easily fill my DSL connection (>160kB/sec). And I guess you
even downloaded it when activity here in Switzerland was rather low. But
maybe there will be a mirror in the US soon (thanks to Sean ;-)).

> P.S. Your website - I wanted to checkout some of the plugins. You
> describe them well, but where are the download links!?

As with the CD they're right after the introductory text. Maybe I'll add a
"Download" before the actual link.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Jim
2005-06-16, 02:21
It was the SysInfo one I was really looking for, and there´s no link for that one.

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/detail.php?nr=3&kategorie=slim-plugins

Jim
2005-06-16, 02:22
It was the SysInfo one I was really looking for, and there´s no link for that one.

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins/detail.php?nr=3&kategorie=slim-plugins

And there is now!

Did you just change it or am I going crazy !!? :D

mherger
2005-06-16, 02:26
> P.S. Your website - I wanted to checkout some of the plugins. You
> describe them well, but where are the download links!?

Thanks for the hint! In fact about every third link was missing... I fixed
it.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

seanadams
2005-06-16, 12:36
Herger.net seems fast enough - I got 160 KB/s. Anyway I've got another mirror here if it's helpful - Fremont, CA.

http://www.seanadams.com/mirrors/slimcd.iso

mherger
2005-06-16, 12:46
> Herger.net seems fast enough - I got 160 KB/s. Anyway I've got another
> mirror here if it's helpful - Fremont, CA.
>
> http://www.seanadams.com/mirrors/slimcd.iso

Excellent! I'll add it to the list. Thanks a lot!

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Steve Agnew
2005-06-20, 20:29
Hi Michael,

Sorry for the offline messages - I was using a newsgroup reader and couldn't post to the SlimDevices newsgroups.

Like you I'm interested in a small, cheap quiet PC to run SlimServer with the music on an external USB drive. I would be happy with a headless box which I could run via VNC. I've looked at mini-Itx boxes but they aren't cheap and not good value compared to a mini-mac which is also small and quiet.

One option I'm considering is to run SlimServer on an X-Box running X-DSL. The X-Box isn't expensive and I'm happy to pick up one to experiment with. I might need some help when it comes to creating a CD for it. I'll let you know how I get on.

Regards,


Steve Agnew.

mherger
2005-06-21, 08:24
Steve,

> Sorry for the offline messages - I was using a newsgroup reader and
> couldn't post to the SlimDevices newsgroups.

No problem. I'd just like to have everything here because it's archived
for later research - by me or others.

> Like you I'm interested in a small, cheap quiet PC to run SlimServer
> with the music on an external USB drive. I would be happy with a
> headless box which I could run via VNC.

For headless mode I'd go for shell only, no X. SlimCD right now is
somewhat more of a demo system than what I'm really aiming at. I think if
this is ever going to be a solution for _me_ I'd remove X, firefox & co.
and do a text only install, but add Samba (which I've been testing
recently) and some administration web page.

> I've looked at mini-Itx boxes
> but they aren't cheap and not good value compared to a mini-mac which
> is also small and quiet.

But more fun? :-) Even my mother can boot up a Mac and follow the
instructions. There's nothing to learn for me in it ;-).

> One option I'm considering is to run SlimServer on an X-Box running
> X-DSL. The X-Box isn't expensive and I'm happy to pick up one to
> experiment with. I might need some help when it comes to creating a CD
> for it. I'll let you know how I get on.

I did not have a look at XDSL yet. But have a look for some re-mastering
documentation. If you can't find it for XDSL specifically, have a go at
damnsmalllinux.org documentation. It really is not that hard to do. I'd
happily share my modification with you when you have a go at XDSL.

BTW: X-Box isn't really that small. Is it at least quiet?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

rpgoldman@real-time.com
2005-06-21, 12:28
>>>>> "SA" == Steve Agnew <Steve.Agnew.1qyirz (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

SA> Hi Michael,

SA> Sorry for the offline messages - I was using a newsgroup reader and
SA> couldn't post to the SlimDevices newsgroups.

SA> Like you I'm interested in a small, cheap quiet PC to run SlimServer
SA> with the music on an external USB drive. I would be happy with a
SA> headless box which I could run via VNC. I've looked at mini-Itx boxes
SA> but they aren't cheap and not good value compared to a mini-mac which
SA> is also small and quiet.

I have a small, cheap PC with the stuff on an internal drive. Would
it be possible for me to use the LiveCD and then simply hand-mount the
internal drive?

R

mherger
2005-06-21, 13:04
> I have a small, cheap PC with the stuff on an internal drive. Would
> it be possible for me to use the LiveCD and then simply hand-mount the
> internal drive?

Of course. My plan is to have the SlimCD boot from a USB stick or compact
flash card and mount the HD for music files only. This will allow for
powering down the hd when there's no music playing. I have it all working
in a virtual machine (VMWare) but am still waiting for the IDE->CF
adaptor...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Steve Agnew
2005-06-21, 15:09
Hi Michael,

It's neither small nor quiet but (at $300NZ) it is cheap and potentially a dual purpose box.

Here's another option to consider:

http://www.bitsex.net/news.php?news_id=25

The HPT5700 looks like it would meet your definition of a "fun" device: 256 Flash ROM and 256MB RAM with USB2.0 and an 800MHz Transmeta chip.

I'll have a go and see if I can get one to run your SlimCD.

Regards,

Steve.

mherger
2005-06-21, 23:00
> Here's another option to consider:
> http://www.bitsex.net/news.php?news_id=25
>
> The HPT5700 looks like it would meet your definition of a "fun" device:
> 256 Flash ROM and 256MB RAM with USB2.0 and an 800MHz Transmeta chip.

This is a nice idea :-). Never thought of "abusing" a dumb terminal for my
needs. But it won't accept an internal HD, I guess. And external disks
imho can't be powered down.

> I'll have a go and see if I can get one to run your SlimCD.

You have one of those terminals? Or are you talking abou the xbox? I'd be
happy to hear about your experience anyway.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Steve Agnew
2005-06-23, 16:46
Hi Michael,

Yes I have one on my desk. I'm still trying to get it to boot successfully from a USB key and will report any progress.

Regards, Steve.

Steve Agnew
2005-06-23, 18:31
Hi Michael,

I can get this device to boot up SlimCD from a USB key.

The frugal install appears to work but when the machine reboots I get the normal Tux logo and SlimCD message followed by the message:

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit.

The hard disk install appears to work but fails when it tries to install LILO.

Any clues? (clueless at this end!) Did you try installing from a USB key or did you go directly from CD?

Regards, Steve.

mherger
2005-06-23, 23:26
> I can get this device to boot up SlimCD from a USB key.

This is awesome :-)

> The frugal install appears to work but when the machine reboots I get
> the normal Tux logo and SlimCD message followed by the message:
> Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
> Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
> Press reset button to quit.

What partition did you install to? AFAIK it will only work with hda1
(though the installer asks for the location). I never had a look at the
installer script. Don't know whether hda1 is hardcoded somewhere.

> Any clues? (clueless at this end!) Did you try installing from a USB
> key or did you go directly from CD?

From the ISO image... as my computer does not have a cdrom drive and its
memory is very limited I used VMWare to prepare the CF card. I booted from
the iso image with the CF card mounted as a physical drive. I then moved
the card to the other machine, plugged it in and booted. And was amazed
who flawlessly it worked :-).

But this isn't an option for you. Installing from USB should work.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Mr SA
2005-06-25, 01:19
Hi,

I've just registered here because...

I've just getting to the end of a Mini-ITX build for my new slimserver and I'd chanced on DSL and had spent my spare time this week attempting to get it to work with Slimserver...

... it didn't take long after discovering SlimCD. So many thanks :-)

My box spec is a bit of overkill and has been a learning experience in the process. The intention was to run a 4x400GB SATA h/w RAID array, but I'm only just getting to grips with this having solved a bunch of other problems.

It boots off a 512MB IDE flash module, and then all the fans and disks make such a racket that it is pretty pointless except from a heat and reliability point of view.

I'm still looking at getting the box to recognise all the drives. So far the only thing that has recognised the drives has been an up to date Mandrake install on the 2.6.8? kernel but that was never going to work with the 512MB flash. The 2.4.27 kernel in DSL makes a good effort at recognising 2 of the drives, but then just gives up. I haven't managed to insert the module for the Highpoint RAID card yet, but this should just present a single 1.2TB drive for the kernel to deal with - whether it deals with it or not, I am to find out. At the moment, I don't even have the back-out option of s/w RAID because it is not recognising the drives.

I will also be trying to get SlimCD onto a USB-HDD.

1 other question... Is it possible to revive the MyDSL extensions functionality in SlimCD? I'm really missing having it trimmed out.

mherger
2005-06-26, 03:25
> I've just getting to the end of a Mini-ITX build for my new slimserver
> and I'd chanced on DSL and had spent my spare time this week attempting
> to get it to work with Slimserver...
>
> ... it didn't take long after discovering SlimCD. So many thanks :-)

I'm glad it's usefull to you! In fact you might be the only serious user
so far ;-).

> It boots off a 512MB IDE flash module, and then all the fans and disks
> make such a racket that it is pretty pointless except from a heat and
> reliability point of view.

Can't you power down the disks when they're not used? I know it's possible
with IDE drives (using hdparm), but don't know about those connected using
a cache controller.

> I'm still looking at getting the box to recognise all the drives. So

I haven't read a lot of good news about Linux and "cheap" raid controllers
(don't know how much you paid ;-)). Google around for your card and Debian
(DSL is based on Debian).

> 1 other question... Is it possible to revive the MyDSL extensions
> functionality in SlimCD? I'm really missing having it trimmed out.

It's still there - I only removed the menu entry (which is kind of
silly...). Run mydslPanel.lua from the command line.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Mr SA
2005-06-27, 05:38
Thanks Michael for your reply. That helped clear up a load of things.

I thought I'd done my research on the Highpoint card, but looking again I see that software RAID is the most viable answer. I still need to compile up a driver for the card, but I have at least now found a reference page describing it being done with the 2.4.25 kernel. I guess I need a .config file relevant to DSL to get this up and running but that looks like my only obstacle at the moment.

I had a further play around yesterday. The Debian slimp3 package in Synaptic raised a bug, so I just used Synaptic to set up all the dependent Perl packages and then picked up a latest slimserverv6.0.2 from slimdevices. This worked a treat, although obviously it isn't yet a remastered solution like SlimCD. It did at least give me a chance to connect over samba to my old server and prove that 1GB of RAM was going to be plenty for running the ramdisk and all the slimserver indexing of my sizeable collection.

As a last resort I dropped one of my disks from the RAID array and loaded up a full Mandrake 10.1 install. I hate it already. Too clunky and too wasteful. I do not want to devote a 400GB drive to running an OS, and I really want my ideal of no drive at all.

I guess i have a choice now on whether to try and modify SlimCD or keep a more vanilla DSL with the driver and slimserver added. I reckon any compressed image under 100MB is good enough for my purposes.

I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

mherger
2005-06-27, 05:55
> I thought I'd done my research on the Highpoint card, but looking again
> I see that software RAID is the most viable answer.

I think I'm rather going to do an "offline mirroring" system: rsync the
disc after changes to an external HD. raid would be nice, but I want a
no/low noise machine.

> I had a further play around yesterday. The Debian slimp3 package in

What version does this one include? I thought this wouldn't exist any
more...

> Synaptic raised a bug, so I just used Synaptic to set up all the
> dependent Perl packages and then picked up a latest slimserverv6.0.2
> from slimdevices. This worked a treat, although obviously it isn't yet
> a remastered solution like SlimCD.

SlimCD is just a fun byproduct of my efforts to have a nice, lean system.
I do not even know whether it's correctly remastered. Don't tell anybody
;-). But the Perl I'm using is a self compiled version I did for my redhat
7.3 based SME/e-smith box. No dependency check included.

> It did at least give me a chance to
> connect over samba to my old server and prove that 1GB of RAM was going
> to be plenty for running the ramdisk and all the slimserver indexing of
> my sizeable collection.

I've successfully scanned my collection (~6300 songs) with 256MB. I'm
planning to use 512MB just to have some marge.

> I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Yes, please keep me up to date. I'm planning on ordering my hardware
soon...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

rpgoldman@real-time.com
2005-06-27, 12:04
>>>>> "SA" == SA <Mr> writes:

SA> Thanks Michael for your reply. That helped clear up a load of things.

SA> I thought I'd done my research on the Highpoint card, but looking again
SA> I see that software RAID is the most viable answer. I still need to
SA> compile up a driver for the card, but I have at least now found a
SA> reference page describing it being done with the 2.4.25 kernel. I
SA> guess I need a .config file relevant to DSL to get this up and running
SA> but that looks like my only obstacle at the moment.

I tried to get a Promise card working a couple of years ago, which was
IDE RAID. If the Highpoint card is the same, the received wisdom
seems to be that IDE RAID in hardware is more trouble than it's
worth. IIUC, it seems to be software RAID compiled out into h/w. I
ended up just ripping the blasted card out, giving it to someone who
runs windows, and being happier w/ two separate drives...


Best,
R

Steve Agnew
2005-06-27, 16:46
Hi Michael,

I've spent a bit of time trying to get this to boot from a USB key with little success.

However, I found an external USB CDROM drive in the office and it will boot up reliably from that.

There isn't enough Flash memory do run the Install to Hard Disk option so I'm booting up into a shell (dsl 2) and running the /usr/sbin/frugal_instal.sh script to install. I've created two Flash partitions of 128MB each, one for the system and one for /home and /opt. It all appears to run normally but pretty slowly.

I have about 400GB of flac files for it to load up and at the current rate this is going to take a few more hours to complete.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Kind regards,

Steve Agnew.

Steve Agnew
2005-06-29, 18:17
Hi Mike,

The HPT5700 is running SlimServer perfectly. Once it boots up (two minutes) and loads the database (about five minutes) it streams flac files happily at about 4% CPU utilization and 146MB free RAM out of 256MB.

The slimserversql.db database was about 15MB for approx 1250 albums.

I did the standard Frugal install directly from your SlimCD.ISO (via a USB CDROM) with home=hda2 opt=hda2 to persist these folders.

The only thing I had to alter was to add the following lines to /opt/bootlocal.sh:

mkdir /mnt/music
mount -r /dev/sda1 /mnt/music

to mount the external USB had disk after booting.

Thanks again for putting together the SlimCD disk. It's been a lot of fun getting it to work and it is great to finally have a dead silent server!

Kind regards,

Steve Agnew.

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-09, 03:12
I had a go at running the SlimCD but whilst it boots OK, I'm stuck there.

I can't see the internet at all (presumably because the machine is normally on a static ip and doesn't get allocated via the router's DHCP) - there seems no way of setting a static ip.

I'm also a litlle confused about the 'saving your configuration' section of you instructions - how can I save anything to a CD-R?

I'll give it another go, but it's a pain when you can't get internet access without re-booting into Windows!

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-09, 03:52
It doesn't seem to detect the hardware properly - the screen is fucked up and I can only get it to do vesa at 640x480x16. If I boot with dsl vga=795 (eg), it gives me 'undefined mode number'.

I guess it's not seeing the ethernet port at all.

I can get softsqueeze/slimserver to run, but the volume is very low and I couldn't find a sound driver setup.

This is a Dell Dimension, Celeron 2.5G/512MB

mherger
2005-07-09, 14:26
> It doesn't seem to detect the hardware properly - the screen is fucked

I'm sorry I'm not much of help here :-(. As it's only a remastered (added
the slim stuff) DSL (based on Knoppix) I'm "blindly" taking what I get
there. Is this rather recent hardware? What video adapter?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

mherger
2005-07-09, 14:29
> I can't see the internet at all (presumably because the machine is
> normally on a static ip and doesn't get allocated via the router's
> DHCP) - there seems no way of setting a static ip.

There is, of course: open the context menu (mouse right), it's something
like Settings->Network->netcardconfig (don't have access to my machine).
I'm using static addresses myself.

> I'm also a litlle confused about the 'saving your configuration'
> section of you instructions - how can I save anything to a CD-R?

It can use an USB stick or diskette. Or, in frugal install, save to
another partition.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-10, 02:12
There is, of course: open the context menu (mouse right), it's something like Settings->Network->netcardconfig (don't have access to my machine). I'm using static addresses myself.
Hmmm, finally got that bit to work (with a blind-size screen resolution) and it says "No supported Network Cards" so I guess it's just not going to work on this PC. It's a standard Dell, about 2 years old.

The other machine I can try it on (an ancient Compaq) only has 64M of RAM, so I'll need to find a bit more from somewhere first.

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-10, 02:13
BTW, it's fine with the SATA card & drives!

mherger
2005-07-10, 23:29
> Hmmm, finally got that bit to work (with a blind-size screen
> resolution) and it says "No supported Network Cards" so I guess it's
> just not going to work on this PC. It's a standard Dell, about 2 years
> old.

Just out of interest: do you know what nic it uses? Is it a Broadcom GBit?
There's some talk about it on the DSL forums (eg.
http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=7;t=5474;st=5)

> The other machine I can try it on (an ancient Compaq) only has 64M of
> RAM, so I'll need to find a bit more from somewhere first.

With a little luck 64MB could work. But 128MB is the minimum for a
reliable result.

> BTW, it's fine with the SATA card & drives!

At least you can access your local music collection...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-11, 00:10
Just out of interest: do you know what nic it uses? Is it a Broadcom GBit?
There's some talk about it on the DSL forums (eg.
http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/f...f=7;t=5474;st=5)
Broadcom 440x I think - at least that's the driver XP uses. It's only 10/100 - not Gibabit.

The Display adapter is Intel 82845 - and it doesn't like that either.

mherger
2005-07-11, 00:35
>> Just out of interest: do you know what nic it uses? Is it a Broadcom
>> GBit?
>> There's some talk about it on the DSL forums (eg.
>> http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/f...f=7;t=5474;st=5)
> Broadcom 440x I think - at least that's the driver XP uses. It's only
> 10/100 - not Gibabit.

From that forum post:

<<<<<
Try this. Open an xterminal window and type:

sudo su
modprobe b44
netcardconfig
exit
exit
<<<<<

> The Display adapter is Intel 82845 - and it doesn't like that either.

Again from the DSL forums:
http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=4426;st=5

<<<<<
The i845 video is notoriously bad for Vesa graphics support.

Basically, your choices are:

Built-in XVesa server at 640x480x16
Built-in XVesa server at 800x600 or 1024x768 with 8 bit depth and add the
-swaprgb command to your .xserverrc file
<<<<<

You've got bad luck then, I'm sorry. :-(

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

Patrick Dixon
2005-07-11, 03:23
Thanks Michael, I will try those when I get a chance - if not I WILL find a machine to run it on!

Mr SA
2005-07-11, 04:13
Hi Michael,

I've been quiet for a bit because I've been trying all sorts of approaches. Getting my head around a process for kernel recompilation and remastering on a diskless DSL install took a while, but I have a pretty smooth process now for doing it all in RAM. I also went down a dead-end compiling a 2.4.27 kernel without realising the changes I'd need in the linuxrc boot script.

Key progress has been...
... I've got the Highpoint driver module compiled in both RAID and NONRAID forms. From everybody's comments, the NONRAID sounds like the better option, although the RAID one seems to work OK for all the drives setup as NONRAID in the Highpoint BIOS.

... I've got a clean, frugal install with the lilo configuration initiating the kernel without attempting to mount the SATA drives (the DSL kernel has a buggy Highpoint driver built in that doesn't correctly register all the drives).

... I've got a recompiled 2.4.26-6 Debian kernel that has taken out the original Highpoint driver (not installed yet because of the above workaround, but I'm keeping my options open)

Next steps... remastering...
... I've got to script the insertion of the Highpoint driver

... I've got to produce a remaster with the "mdadm" RAID utilities built-in and with appropriate initialisation. (!?)

... Eventually I can plan to include Slimserver and start loading up some music.

I have more or less forgotten why I started down this route and by the time I've finished, the RAID requirement might have disappeared completely and I'll keep my backup copies off-line.

Mr SA
1.2TB RAID5, virtually-silent, Mini-ITX Slimserver project.

mherger
2005-07-15, 16:03
I uploaded v1.0 of the SlimCD.

What's new (beside bug fixes)? I mainly added some server applications to
make it useable when installed on disk/CF card: samba, rsync, ntpdate,
cron, plus the zoneinfo for those of us who don't live in the US :-).
Samba contains LinNeighborhood for easy access to network shares.

Note that the server applications need to be configured manually. There's
no room (neither in the image nor in my calendar ;-)) to add a
sophisticated management interface.

The image has grown a little bit but is still only 97MB.

> I've been tinkering a Linux live CD with one single purpose: run
> slimserver and softsqueeze without the need to install anything. It's
> based on DSL/Knoppix and features the following:
>
> - SlimServer 6.1 (upgradable to the latest nightly build)
> - SoftSqueeze 2.0
> - FireFox
> - A few plugins like
> Advanced Alarm
> Album Review
> AlienBBC
> Biography
> Extended Synchronize
> Quick Access
> Random Play
> Shadow Play
> - Perl 5.8.6, Java 1.5, mplayer
>
> Well, this isn't so damn small as it's ancestor... But still: it's only
> a 90MB download available from
> http://www.herger.net/slim/detail.php?nr=763
>
> Now if someone could get this to run from a USB stick... (should be
> possible, but I don't have a machine which can do this trick).
>
> Have fun!
>



--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)