PDA

View Full Version : How are CUE sheets (supposed to be) handled?



JJZolx
2005-06-13, 18:19
I see a lot of confusion in bugzilla regarding CUE sheet processing. I'm wondering how CUE sheet processing is intended to operate in the most current versions of SlimServer and what bugs may still exist (which is damned tough to tell by reading the bugzilla comments).

Is it intended that a CUE sheet that references multiple files be parsed for tag-like info? If so, why, rather than looking only at tags within the individual files?

If both data in internal tags and an external CUE sheet reference a file, what happens? Obviously this is a potential source for conflicts in the resulting data.

kdf
2005-06-13, 19:55
On 13-Jun-05, at 6:19 PM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> I see a lot of confusion in bugzilla regarding CUE sheet processing.
> I'm wondering how CUE sheet processing is intended to operate in the
> most current versions of SlimServer and what bugs may still exist
> (which is damned tough to tell by reading the bugzilla comments).
>
> Is it intended that a CUE sheet that references multiple files be
> parsed for tag-like info? If so, why, rather than looking only at tags
> within the individual files?
>
> If both data in internal tags and an external CUE sheet reference a
> file, what happens? Obviously this is a potential source for conflicts
> in the resulting data.
>

Short answer, all of the above. I have seen requests for cue sheets to
override track metadata for singe files AND for multiple files. The
files used to be listed, along with the cue sheet data and some users
took great offense to the duplicate entries, so they were removed.
Now, as you know, there is a request to have the audio file listed as
well.

There is always a down side to being so customer driven as SlimServer:
there is always a customer who wants it to be done differently. I'm
all for picking a function and telling everyone else to just deal with
it, but I'm not in charge :)

Like many other issues, this one is looking for the miracle global
solution. if you have ideas, please feel free to bring this into the
developers forum.

-kdf

Cerb
2005-06-14, 04:32
It'd be nice to remove all cuesheet functionality altogether with a flag on the server interface, like the audio formats. Personally I'd prefer to not have them parsed at all.

Jason Voegele
2005-06-14, 05:58
On Tue, June 14, 2005 7:32 am, Cerb said:
> It'd be nice to remove all cuesheet functionality altogether with a flag
> on the server interface, like the audio formats. Personally I'd prefer
> to not have them parsed at all.

The problem with this is that some (most?) of us that use CUE sheets use
them not to contain track meta data (e.g. artist, title, etc.), but rather
to mark track boundaries for single FLAC file per album.

I'm all for SlimServer ignoring meta data in the CUE sheet, but to be able
to support FLAC-per-album files, SlimServer has to be able to parse the
CUE sheet for track boundaries. I see no reason to store meta data in the
CUE sheet, as FLAC files already have a very flexible meta data tagging
system based on vorbis comments.

--
Jason Voegele
"There is an essential core at the center of each man and woman that
remains unaltered no matter how life's externals may be transformed
or recombined. But it's smaller than we think."
-- Gene Wolfe, The Book of the Long Sun

Olav Sunde
2005-06-14, 15:42
Jason Voegele wrote:
> On Tue, June 14, 2005 7:32 am, Cerb said:
>
>>It'd be nice to remove all cuesheet functionality altogether with a flag
>>on the server interface, like the audio formats. Personally I'd prefer
>>to not have them parsed at all.
>
>
> The problem with this is that some (most?) of us that use CUE sheets use
> them not to contain track meta data (e.g. artist, title, etc.), but rather
> to mark track boundaries for single FLAC file per album.
>
> I'm all for SlimServer ignoring meta data in the CUE sheet, but to be able
> to support FLAC-per-album files, SlimServer has to be able to parse the
> CUE sheet for track boundaries. I see no reason to store meta data in the
> CUE sheet, as FLAC files already have a very flexible meta data tagging
> system based on vorbis comments.
>
I am more in line with Jason as I use Flac-per-album files, but how
about including all these features and letting users enable/disable what
is needed for your setup to work?
I would actually prefer CUE sheet only as I see tagging as extra work.
Also, CUE sheet only would allow WAV-per-album files, as uncompressed
wav files does not support meta data tagging.

Olav Sunde