PDA

View Full Version : Help Beta Firmware Problem

gandt
2005-06-08, 15:11
Just tried to update last nights beta on my windows machine - previous updates all fine but now the sb2 gets stuck on "updating squeezebox2 firmware" all the time even if i restore defaults and put in an earlier hex file. Somehow the "wrong" file is stuck in the machine and it keeps wanting to install it. BAsically it gets to the end of the bar and stops there. The only wierd thing that happened before that was that i accidentally copied another hex file to a folder called "copy of firmware" so maybe when it first tried it found two hex files? I think what i need is to clear the duff file from memory and start again - any help gratefully received.

tgoldstone
2005-06-08, 19:18
I also have just experienced this problem and will file a bug report.

gandt
2005-06-08, 23:02
did you manage to fix it even by reverting to an earlier version?

gandt
2005-06-09, 01:51
In case anyone else is wondering - a full return to hex file and slimserver files to the previous night (or whatever) fixes the problem (but no Squeeze Network it seems - did it go missing?)

graham

kevin
2005-06-09, 10:47
Dean just checked in a fix for this, so it should be in tomorrow's nightlies.

JJZolx
2005-06-09, 11:01
I'm not quite following this... Have we moved beyond SB2 firmware version 13? I just installed the 6/9 nightly on Windows and haven't been prompted to update the firmware.

kevin
2005-06-09, 11:02
In case anyone else is wondering - a full return to hex file and slimserver files to the previous night (or whatever) fixes the problem (but no Squeeze Network it seems - did it go missing?)

By the way, for this particular version I don't think doing this (replacing the firmware and the .version file) is a big deal... But there have been times in the past where both the firmware and server had changed significantly in terms of client-server communication.

So this is typically not a good idea (using an old firmware with a new server version or vice versa)

kevin
2005-06-09, 11:03
I'm not quite following this... Have we moved beyond SB2 firmware version 13? I just installed the 6/9 nightly on Windows and haven't been prompted to update the firmware.

There have been a couple of minor changes, but it is still rev 13. For revision detail on firmware revs please see:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/Firmware/

The fix that addresses the firmware update hanging was here:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/Slim/Player/Squeezebox.pm?rev=3363&view=log

JJZolx
2005-06-09, 11:14
There have been a couple of minor changes, but it is still rev 13. For revision detail on firmware revs please see:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/Firmware/

Ok, I'm following.

What's the mechanism that forces or prompts the user to update to new firmware? I've been upgrading the server for the past week by unzipping the Windows ZIP file found in the 6.1 nightlies directory. Will upgrading by this means not force the firmware update?

kdf
2005-06-09, 11:19
Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.1qdfr0 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kevin Wrote:
> > There have been a couple of minor changes, but it is still rev 13. For
> > revision detail on firmware revs please see:
> > http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/Firmware/
>
> Ok, I'm following.
>
> What's the mechanism that forces or prompts the user to update to new
> firmware? I've been upgrading the server for the past week by
> unzipping the Windows ZIP file found in the 6.1 nightlies directory.
> Will upgrading by this means not force the firmware update?

the .version file dictates when an upgrade is required. Generally only a major
update to the firmware, or an official release of the server will make use of
this. Occasionally minor firmware updates are committed without being made a
new version number. This stuff shows up in the checkins mailing list.

-kdf

kevin
2005-06-09, 11:23
Ok, I'm following.

What's the mechanism that forces or prompts the user to update to new firmware? I've been upgrading the server for the past week by unzipping the Windows ZIP file found in the 6.1 nightlies directory. Will upgrading by this means not force the firmware update?

Hmm, possibly not. On Windows, it's typically cleanest to just stop the server, use add/remove programs to remove the server, then use the .exe installer to install the new build.

Using the ZIP, if you've used the .exe in the past, might cause issues when it comes to uninstalling... It might also not actually upgrade anything, if slim.exe and slimserver.exe are running for example, they will not be overwritten and therefore not updated to the latest version.

On Windows, slim.exe is pretty much the entire server. It's a compiled perl interpreter + slimserver source code all in one... So overwriting all of the perl data in the Slim directory won't really make any difference here anyway.

JJZolx
2005-06-09, 11:32
Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.1qdfr0 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kevin Wrote:
> > There have been a couple of minor changes, but it is still rev 13. For
> > revision detail on firmware revs please see:
> > http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/Firmware/
>
> Ok, I'm following.
>
> What's the mechanism that forces or prompts the user to update to new
> firmware? I've been upgrading the server for the past week by
> unzipping the Windows ZIP file found in the 6.1 nightlies directory.
> Will upgrading by this means not force the firmware update?

the .version file dictates when an upgrade is required. Generally only a major
update to the firmware, or an official release of the server will make use of
this. Occasionally minor firmware updates are committed without being made a
new version number. This stuff shows up in the checkins mailing list.

Are you saying that this is the only way anyone is to know that a new firmware rev is available? Seems like a heck of a way to fix bugs, even if only minor ones.

How does one interpret the slimserver2.version file below? I see no mention of revision level.

-------------------------------------------------
# Squeezebox2 firmware
#
# from to
# from1..from2 to

1..13 13

# future versions may be downgraded to this one
-------------------------------------------------

kdf
2005-06-09, 11:42
Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.1qdgob (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf Wrote:
> > Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.1qdfr0 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:
> >
> > >
> > > kevin Wrote:
> > > > There have been a couple of minor changes, but it is still rev 13.
> > For
> > > > revision detail on firmware revs please see:
> > > > http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/Firmware/
> > >
> > > Ok, I'm following.
> > >
> > > What's the mechanism that forces or prompts the user to update to
> > new
> > > firmware? I've been upgrading the server for the past week by
> > > unzipping the Windows ZIP file found in the 6.1 nightlies directory.
> > > Will upgrading by this means not force the firmware update?
> >
> > the .version file dictates when an upgrade is required. Generally only
> > a major
> > update to the firmware, or an official release of the server will make
> > use of
> > this. Occasionally minor firmware updates are committed without being
> > made a
> > new version number. This stuff shows up in the checkins mailing list.
>
> Are you saying that this is the only way anyone is to know that a new
> firmware rev is available? Seems like a heck of a way to fix bugs,
> even if only minor ones.

When there is an official release, or something important, the player will tell
you. When you have a bug report that requires a firmware update you have the
option of forcing an upgrade specifically. It really isn't all that hard, or
confusing.

> How does one interpret the slimserver2.version file below? I see no
> mention of revision level.

er...13 is a revision level. Just as it says: "from1...from2 to...

This means from revision level1 to revision level 13, upgrade to 13
If this is changed to 1..14 14 and you have level 13 loaded, then you get the
message from teh player to press-and-hold brightness.

> -------------------------------------------------
> # Squeezebox2 firmware
> #
> # from to
> # from1..from2 to
>
> 1..13 13
>
> # future versions may be downgraded to this one
> * 13
> -------------------------------------------------

this last bit is to handle one-way upgrades like the one in squeezebox at
version 10.

-kdf

JJZolx
2005-06-09, 11:44
Hmm, possibly not. On Windows, it's typically cleanest to just stop the server, use add/remove programs to remove the server, then use the .exe installer to install the new build.

I've automated the download and upgrade of the Windows Server from the zip file and haven't figured out or been told of a way to automate the installation using the .exe installer.

If there's a way, through command-line switches, a response file, or something else, then I'd love to hear about it. It would probably be much simpler.

Using the ZIP, if you've used the .exe in the past, might cause issues when it comes to uninstalling... It might also not actually upgrade anything, if slim.exe and slimserver.exe are running for example, they will not be overwritten and therefore not updated to the latest version.

Understood. The uninstall may not be perfect, but will likely be good enough to unregister the service. I stop the service first before overwriting the files. I don't use slimerver.exe.

On Windows, slim.exe is pretty much the entire server. It's a compiled perl interpreter + slimserver source code all in one... So overwriting all of the perl data in the Slim directory won't really make any difference here anyway.

That's never been completely clear to me before, but probably a discussion for another thread. It seems that at least _some_ of them are necessary and external to slim.exe. For instance, the database modules in CPAN/DBD.

max.spicer
2005-06-09, 15:03
I've automated the download and upgrade of the Windows Server from the zip file and haven't figured out or been told of a way to automate the installation using the .exe installer.

If there's a way, through command-line switches, a response file, or something else, then I'd love to hear about it. It would probably be much simpler.
On Linux, I use subversion to update SlimServer. Whenever I fancy an upgrade, I change to my SlimServer directory and type "svn update". I then restart SlimServer. That's it. This really is an ideal way to regularly get updates. You can also do things like rolling back to yesterday's, or last week's release really easily. I believe that if you use ActivePerl on windows then you could update your server in the same way. I'd really recommend it!

Max