PDA

View Full Version : Natural sounds feedback

SlimVert
2005-06-08, 03:14
Hi there;

I think the natural sounds are a cool idea for SQN.
However at this moment the quality often tackles down the coolness. It's no use having a nature sound that clearly loops, repeats, sometimes even with pauses or ticks. that's a no go! Nature is random.

Think different, think like Apple: stick to this very good idea, but make it better. Execution is very imporant. Squeezebox shouldn't be a "sample" box, it should be deliver a "feeling"!

what do you think?

Slimvert
SB2/SQN lover

Idea: have a weather plugin that plays the sounds of the current local weather ;)

ChrisDev
2005-06-08, 12:54
Not having upgraded to SQN yet, can anyone tell me what nature sounds are available?

I had a clock/radio once that had built in "waves" and "crickets". You could fall asleep to any of them, very relaxing!

seanadams
2005-06-08, 21:13
I had a clock/radio once that had built in "waves" and "crickets". You could fall asleep to any of them, very relaxing!

Seems ineffective then - wouldn't you rather it woke you up? :)

Anyway, the sounds are good IMHO. Give SqueezeNetwork a try by updating to the pre-release: http://www.slimdevices.com/nightly

Aylwin
2005-06-11, 10:13
Yeah, I noticed the natural sounds too. I think they're cool although I personally have no use for them. I'd rather listen to music. At least if anyone wants it listen to it then it's there.

JJZolx
2005-07-03, 00:53
Well, they're certainly interesting. The heartbeats sound synthesized, so I'm not sure where the natural comes in. I think I'd honestly be driven to suicide if I had to listen to them or a couple of the others for more than a minute or two. The SB2 could make a handy little torture device, but that may not be something to put in the sales literature.

Some of the sounds just need to be longer and loop more seemlessly.

ceejay
2005-07-09, 10:36
Some of the sounds just need to be longer and loop more seemlessly.

I think some of these sounds are great... but it does seem as if they are on a short loop. I suspect that if I listened to them for long I'd spend most of the time trying to spot the repeat, which shouldn't be happening!

Can anyone that actually knows the answer tell us what sort of repeat times we are getting here?

dean
2005-07-09, 19:33
The sounds vary in length some are as long as a minute, others are
just a couple of seconds.

On Jul 9, 2005, at 10:36 AM, ceejay wrote:

>
> JJZolx Wrote:
>
>>
>> Some of the sounds just need to be longer and loop more seemlessly.
>>
>
> I think some of these sounds are great... but it does seem as if they
> are on a short loop. I suspect that if I listened to them for long
> I'd
> spend most of the time trying to spot the repeat, which shouldn't be
> happening!
>
> Can anyone that actually knows the answer tell us what sort of repeat
> times we are getting here?
>
>
> --
> ceejay
>

ceejay
2005-07-12, 14:56

Thanks for the response. Feedback from the rest of my family matches my own thoughts - great idea, but for these to work the loop time has to be MUCH longer, say a minute or more. The short-loop ones have been designated by my teenage son as potential torture material... :)

Ceejay.

JJZolx
2005-07-12, 15:07

OK, time for the inevitable (from me, anyway) implementation question... When you go into the natural sound effects are they _all_ loaded into the SB's internal memory, or are they loaded one at a time? I think it's fair to guess that they aren't actually being streamed from a Slim Devices server somewhere.

dean
2005-07-12, 21:12
On Jul 12, 2005, at 3:07 PM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> dean Wrote:
>
>> The sounds vary in length some are as long as a minute, others are
>> just a couple of seconds.
>>
>
> OK, time for the inevitable (from me, anyway) implementation
> question... When you go into the natural sound effects are they
> _all_
> loaded into the SB's internal memory, or are they loaded one at a
> time?
> I think it's fair to guess that they aren't actually being streamed
> from
> a Slim Devices server somewhere.

Good question. We added support for "looping" of sounds in the
Squeezebox2 memory, so when a Natural Sounds sound is loaded (or many
of the less natural alarm sounds) from our server, it's loaded only
once and then played repeatedly. So there's a limitation on how long
the sound can be, but none of the sounds are close to that limit.

ChrisDev
2005-07-13, 14:38
OK, hope I'm not going off topic here, but just wanted to agree what a nice idea this is. I like to fall asleep to the Tropical Ambiance!

However, a minor point...when I go into the Natural Sounds menu for the first time after logging onto the SN, the list of sounds doesn't automatically appear until I press 'down'. It sits there looking like its loading the sounds but nothing happens.

Just me, or a problem for everyone else too?

vidurapparao
2005-07-13, 14:41
Not just you: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1773. Fixed in
latest svn for the service. It should make it out to production fairly
soon. Thanks for the report.

JJZolx
2005-07-13, 14:55
Good question. We added support for "looping" of sounds in the
Squeezebox2 memory, so when a Natural Sounds sound is loaded (or many
of the less natural alarm sounds) from our server, it's loaded only
once and then played repeatedly. So there's a limitation on how long
the sound can be, but none of the sounds are close to that limit.

Well, I think I knew that they were being played from memory. The question is whether they all get loaded together. The limitation due to memory would be much different if that were the case and might make it more understandable why some are only a few seconds long, while the better ones are long enough to not be annoying.