PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver on Linkstation

the bull
2005-06-06, 12:57
Hi,

I'm attempting to install slimserver on a Buffalo Linkstation (firmware version 1.44) following the instructions by Marc D Field. I'm a bit of a newbie to Linux so please bear with me.

I'm attempting to hack the root password - all is going well except that when I run "http://ipaddress/cgi-bin3/hackme.cgi" I just get an Internet Explorer 500 internal error stating that there was an unusual problem serving the requested url.

Help!!

Thanks

gorstk
2005-06-06, 13:11
the bull wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to install slimserver on a Buffalo Linkstation (firmware
> version 1.44) following the instructions by Marc D Field. I'm a bit of a
> newbie to Linux so please bear with me.
>
> I'm attempting to hack the root password - all is going well except
> that when I run "http://ipaddress/cgi-bin3/hackme.cgi" I just get an
> Internet Explorer 500 internal error stating that there was an unusual
> problem serving the requested url.

Sorry if this is too obvious, but sometimes people make this mistake,
did you put the linkstation IP address instead of 'ipaddress' in the
above URL?

HTH

Siduhe
2005-06-06, 14:15
Two other thoughts:

1) are you sure that the script definitely came back as executable when you checked it via Telnet - i.e. there is a a "*" next to the file name as:

-rwxrwxrwx hackme.cgi*

If not, you may not have added the extension correctly - just repeat the "chmod +x /www/cgi-bin3/hackme.cgi" command.

2) do you have a SP2 service pack security, firewall or router which may be preventing the browser connection ? Try switching any firewall or security program off and either setting your browser security to Low temporarily, or try using a different browser such as Firefox. I got this response initially because my router is set up only to expose one IP to the internet or via a web browser (not my Linkstation).

Hope this helps.

the bull
2005-06-07, 01:19
Hmmm - could be the firewall on my netgear router I suppose. I'll connect my pc directly to the linkstation with a crossover cable and see if that helps.

Thanks - I'll let you know how I get on.

the bull
2005-06-10, 00:39
All sorted now - bypassing the firewall on my router did the trick....

Thanks