PDA

View Full Version : How can slimserver use soft links to external hard drives?

trebejo
2005-06-05, 02:04
I have a setup that must be pretty common, but for some reason (maybe dizziness) I cannot find this in the faq or the docs. I tried to search the slim mail archives but got a bit lost. I tried to use the wiki thingy but it confused me; it is probably a good thing to get to know.

Well, enough about my cluelessness. What I have here is a failure to follow a soft link!

I'm using mac os 10.2.8. I save my gigabytes of music with itunes on an external hard drive. I softlink to that hard drive and itunes, like any other good little unix program, has no problem with it.

But when I go to the settings on the slimserver, and I try to enter the link as though it were an actual filename, it says nyet. So then I go to the trouble of entering the external hard drive file name, and still, no go.

Just as a lark, I hard-copied the itune library .xml file to my home directory and gave that to slimserver; it liked it, but of course I'm not going to stick to that unsavory method. Besides, I'm not sure that it will work with it since the .xml file refers to that big bad external hard drive that slimserver is ignoring.

Oh and it's not a case of using "\ " to specify spaces between words in filenames; even a hard cp'd copy without the spaces is not found on the external hard drive.

To sum up, here are the relevant filenames as they appear on the terminal:
home directory: /Users/mazzare/
iTunes directory: /Volumes/Gipsy/Users/mazzare/Music/
softlink: /Users/mazzare/Music -> /Volumes/Gipsy/Users/mazzare/Music

FWIW, I created the softlink in the two usual ways; from the home directory I used "/Volu... -> Music", and no dice; then I used "/Volu... -> /Users/mazzare/Music" and still no dice as far as slimserver is concerned. As far as the OS, it's a link, though.

The permissions should be ok; I am actually the owner of those remote files.

So, how am I supposed to do this? Cluelessly yours,

Ariel

Patrick Dixon
2005-06-05, 04:32
"The permissions should be ok; I am actually the owner of those remote files."

You may be, but (on Linux at least), Slimserver uses a user called obtusely "slimserver".

trebejo
2005-06-07, 03:41
"The permissions should be ok; I am actually the owner of those remote files."

You may be, but (on Linux at least), Slimserver uses a user called obtusely "slimserver".

I don't know if anything can be more obtuse than the way OSX waddles back and forth between being a unix system and a gui-only system. I guess it's the price that's paid to make sure that all MacUsers can handle the unix without reading any manuals.

In the end I just reinstalled the server using the user account instead of the admin account and that fixed the problem. Mind you, the user account has been given admin privileges but that's a tale for another time. Maybe it helps that the user account is the one that imports the music via itunes, but when I look at the files, they are owned by the admin account. Bizarre osx stuff.

If someone else was using this laptop, it might be a problem that I'd have to solve (maybe I'd have to set up an account called, oh, "slimserver"), but this quick fix works for now.

kevin
2005-06-07, 09:46
This could actually be due to how the soft link is made.

If you used a filesystem alias using the Finder, SlimServer unfortunately can't read those.

You would have to use ln -s in a terminal window to make a link that SlimServer can understand, for example:
ln -s /Volumes/Gipsy/Users/mazzare/Music /Users/mazzare/Music

(edit: had a typo)

dodgyhair
2005-10-26, 09:05
I am interested in the comments from trebejo on this because I have a related problem with Slimserver on my mac mini. I cannot play any songs using my own (admin) account - they simply stop after 15 seconds. However, if I switch to another account on the same mac the slimserver works fine. Slimserver works on all other accounts including other admin accounts and even ones with Parental Controls on. It also works through Softsqueeze from a PC on the same network.

If trebejo has found a way to get slimserver working on the main mac account then it may solve my problem. Can you describe what you mean when use say you "just reinstalled the server using the user account instead of the admin account"?

Thanks!

dean
2005-10-28, 07:50
First: What kind of player are you using? What version of SlimServer
are you using?

SlimServer doesn't care if a user is admin on Mac OS X. I suspect
that there's something in the slimserver.pref file (Home -> Library -
> SlimDevices -> slimserver.pref) file for the user that's causing
the issue.

Try stopping SlimServer, rename that file to something like
slimserver.disabled and start SlimServer again.

On Oct 26, 2005, at 9:05 AM, dodgyhair wrote:

>
> I am interested in the comments from trebejo on this because I have a
> related problem with Slimserver on my mac mini. I cannot play any
> songs
> using my own (admin) account - they simply stop after 15 seconds.
> However, if I switch to another account on the same mac the slimserver
> works fine. Slimserver works on all other accounts including other
> admin accounts and even ones with Parental Controls on. It also works
> through Softsqueeze from a PC on the same network.
>
> If trebejo has found a way to get slimserver working on the main mac
> account then it may solve my problem. Can you describe what you mean
> when use say you "just reinstalled the server using the user account
> instead of the admin account"?
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> --
> dodgyhair
>

dodgyhair
2005-10-28, 10:10
First, I should say that I have been trying to solve this problem with the help of Kevin Pearsall but we have not got very far, hence trying to see if any other users had solutions.

I am using Slimserver 6.2.0 and have a SliMP3 using firmware 2.3. I have a mac mini on OSX 10.4.2. I have tried resetting the prefs file as you suggest but this made no difference.

Here are the salient extracts from my many mails with Kevin over the last week:

Songs automatically stop after 15 seconds, with no sound or track progress being noted.
If I change to a different account on the same Mac, the system works fine. The different accounts include those with Parental Controls on and also another administrator account.
Softsqueeze can connect from a PC on the same network.
The problem therefore only occurs when I am logged into my account.
There is not a problem with the SliMP3 device.

I have tried changing most of the settings on my account but with no success.
I have tried not starting all of the 'start up' applications (such as iTunes and Mail) but with no success.
I have tried putting passwords onto the other accounts but these made no difference.
I have tried mounting the iPod on the other accounts but this made no difference.
I have disabled the virus protection but this made no difference.
All of the security settings and firewall settings are the same on all accounts (as far as I can see).

The mac is only a couple of months old so is not cluttered with rubbish - I've attached a complete profile of the system so you can see exactly what's on there.

I've turned logging on for a few parameters (I'm guessing what they all are, hopefully you know what they do) and tried to play a song (which then stops). The log is attached as a text file. The key lines would seem to be:

2005-10-27 13:33:13.9095 00:04:20:02:03:58 new stream
2005-10-27 13:33:13.9750 00:04:20:02:03:58 1130416393.97491 Timeout on seq: 301

which then repeats until...

2005-10-27 13:33:43.9240 00:04:20:02:03:58 stream stop
2005-10-27 13:33:43.9763 00:04:20:02:03:58 1130416423.97625 Timeout on seq: 302

Here is what I have been logging (Let me know if it would be useful to log other parameters):

d_itunes
d_stream
d_mp3
d_usage
d_directstream

This is what happens when I play the same song whilst logged into a different account:
2005-10-27 13:39:04.4910 00:04:20:02:03:58 new stream
2005-10-27 13:39:05.7593 00:04:20:02:03:58 Buffer full, starting playback

Dean - I hope this helps you get to the bottom of this very frustrating problem for me. I'm keen to get one of the new players, but I need to be sure it will work ok before I commit my money. The log files are too large to attach to this message, but let me know if youwould like me to email them directly to you.

Thanks, Andrew