PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Windows EXE installer and ZIP file for nightlies?

JJZolx
2005-06-04, 18:34
I'm trying to automate the download and installation of the latest SlimServer nightly for Windows.

I assume that installation using the Windows EXE, with its interactive installer, can't be automated from a script. Not unless there are some hidden command-line switches to automate the installation and bypass the wizard. So I'm looking at the ZIP file in the same directory, which also appears to be for a Windows installation.

The thing I don't understand is why the ZIP file is 2MB larger than the Windows installer version of the same thing. I'd generally expect the relative sizes to be reversed. Is there any difference between the files installed by the two means?

Jim
2005-06-04, 23:27
Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient on both your bandwith (and Slim's) downloading ActivePerl and setting up a simple batch file to run Subversion to checkout just the changes every night?

JJZolx
2005-06-04, 23:50
Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient on both your bandwith (and Slim's) downloading ActivePerl and setting up a simple batch file to run Subversion to checkout just the changes every night?

More efficient? Probably. Easier? No.

Dan Sully
2005-06-05, 00:05
* JJZolx shaped the electrons to say...

>I assume that installation using the Windows EXE, with its interactive
>installer, can't be automated from a script. Not unless there are some
>hidden command-line switches to automate the installation and bypass the
>wizard. So I'm looking at the ZIP file in the same directory, which
>also appears to be for a Windows installation.
>
>The thing I don't understand is why the ZIP file is 2MB larger than the
>Windows installer version of the same thing. I'd generally expect the
>relative sizes to be reversed. Is there any difference between the
>files installed by the two means?

I believe that the InstallShield software strips out some of the non-windows
platform stuff that our build script doesn't. I'll try and take a look in the
next few days.

-D
--
<nil> It sucks to discover that you are the foremost authority on some set of things when you've got a problem.

JJZolx
2005-06-06, 10:12
I'll try and take a look in the
next few days.
Can I make one small request for the Windows nightly zip file?

The zip file created contains a directory structure that mirrors a Windows installation, but the root directory of all paths in that file is a directory called 'SlimServer for Windows'. That makes it difficult to unzip the file over top of an existing installation (using WinZip command line), which is all that is needed to upgrade SlimServer. If you could eliminate this directory from the path stored in the zip file then it makes it possible to just unzip it directly in a single step.