PDA

View Full Version : Must I have a router? Must I?

trebejo
2005-06-04, 01:26
Well, I got the squeezebox because it seemed like a very nice idea and the word "audiophile" is somewhere in the slimdevices web sitemap.

I plugged it in, I fiddled with it for quite a while, and it still does not connect to the laptop.

My setup is a cable modem connected via ethernet to an apple powerbook laptop running OS 10.2.8. I created a network, put in a wep password. I went to the "sharing" item in network preferences and entered a special rule for slim server on ports 3483 and 9000. On a lark, I tried to use dhcp but the squeezebox did not get its number, so I entered the dark forest of handmade static addresses.

I went to the "internet" tab on "sharing" in "system preferences" and tried both sharing and not sharing internet connections via the airport card. On network preferences I put all kinds of addresses on the airport card and matched them on the squeezebox as best as I could guess. I believe I tried every conceivable permutation, and on a couple of occasions I might have even gone beyond what the cable ISP thinks I should be allowed to do. I regularly looked at its signal strength and it was always at 85-95%.

Still, no contact. The only indications that something might eventually work out is (a) a web page at localhost:9000 that keeps reminding me that it can't find the squeezebox, and (b) an acceptance by the squeezebox of my wep password.

What bugs me is that I can't even PING the bloody thing. Ok, maybe asking it to work is too much, but I'd like to be able to ping it at least.

The very last attempt that I made was to set the squeezebox at 192.168.100.51, the default gateway at the address assigned by the cable ISP via dhcp (let's call it N for short), the airport at 192.168.100.52 with router at N (network preferences didn't like that, wanted me to use some 192.168.100.nnn address but I've already tried one or two of those before), subnet mask at 255.255.255.0, dns at 0.0.0.0, and SlimServer at N. Cable modem is at 192.168.100.1 and brags about being able to park computers from 192.168.100.11 to 192.168.100.42; at the moment it resents what I did with the airport card's router setting and does not give me its status via a web page, but it still services the connection to the internet so I'll let just let it stew for now.

I guess I've gotten spoiled and now I expect my apple laptop to just tell me that it found a new device when I plug it in, and ask me what I want to do with it and then start doing it.

It was this kind of pain and suffering is what made me leave the interesting but time-consuming linux forest many moons ago (I threw in the towel when I had to vi an IDE config file and recompile a kernel just to be able to use a new 200 gb hard drive; I did not know it at the time, but that was the end of the road for me). We will not discuss my experiences in the forest of Mr. Gates, for I usually end up using harsh language.

So anyway, was I just a fool for thinking that it would be easy? Do I really have to suffer, or what's almost as bad, buy another piece of networking hardware? I think the purchase would set me back about $50, which is a small price to pay in order to avoid what I've gone through, but if the extra hardware is not required, is it not extorsion?

I suppose I could stick to sticking round pieces of plastic into a box to get music, but I was hoping to do better by this time. Bloody raving macworld review made me go for this, but now I suffer in quiet pain.

I've sent an email to slimsupport, hopefully they will have the answer I need, but gentle reader, if you know what I must do, please feel free to share, and may the next batch of squeezebox manuals address this situation.

Cheers,

Ariel

Robin Bowes
2005-06-04, 04:07
Ariel,

Can you give us a more detailed description of your physical network
layout and the make and model of each of the bits? That should give us
enough detail to get started...

Thanks,

R.

--
http://robinbowes.com

mherger
2005-06-04, 04:36
No, you don't need a router. But you have to set up your network
correctly. From what I understand you have two networks: the external
through the modem connected to the ethernet port, and the internal on your
wireless (airport) card. These are separate networks. And you'd want the
SB to connect on the local net.

> My setup is a cable modem connected via ethernet to an apple powerbook

Your laptop uses airport and you want the squeezebox to connect to it?
What's the airport's IP settings (address, class, gateway) if you leave it
in DHCP mode?

> I went to the "internet" tab on "sharing" in "system preferences" and

You won't need this for running SB.

> The very last attempt that I made was to set the squeezebox at
> 192.168.100.51, the default gateway at the address assigned by the
> cable ISP via dhcp (let's call it N for short), the airport at
> 192.168.100.52 with router at N (network preferences didn't like that,
> wanted me to use some 192.168.100.nnn address but I've already tried
> one or two of those before), subnet mask at 255.255.255.0, dns at
> 0.0.0.0, and SlimServer at N. Cable modem is at 192.168.100.1 and brags
> about being able to park computers from 192.168.100.11 to
> 192.168.100.42; at the moment it resents what I did with the airport
> card's router setting and does not give me its status via a web page,
> but it still services the connection to the internet so I'll let just
> let it stew for now.

So your network is like this:
Network: 192.168.100.0
Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.100.1

BTW: are you sure you're only using a _modem_ and not a router?

If you don't want everything to be configured using DHCP, set the
following on your airport:

IP address: 192.168.100.52

....and this in your SB:

IP address: 192.168.100.51

If you don't use a wireless access point but only your computer and the
SB, be sure to put them in "ad-hoc" mode (if possible).

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

trebejo
2005-06-05, 01:46
Thank you Michael and Robin.

I tried the settings that you suggested, Michael, but they did not work. I tried some variations on that theme, but no dice. Apparently the cable modem is a castrated router, as per some comments on

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=OffTopic;action=display;num=1107559 121

The hints here helped me to extract a few micrograms of useful information from the support people at motorola and my cable isp, but no more. The slimdevice support has been slim so far, but I guess they're not at the office on the weekends (my apologies if either of you are staff!).

So I went down to Fry's and paid $25 for a wireless router. Now the squeezebox is indeed connected, via dhcp, in a pretty smooth operation (save for the annoying remote-control interface that seems to lack a "delete" key).

And of course a router is not such a bad thing to have.

I have a couple of other newbie concerns, but I'll put them in a separate thread. Thanks again,

Ariel