PDA

View Full Version : Beta 6.1 Stable?

NikonUser
2005-05-30, 02:10
Hi there,

I got my squeezebox around 2 weeks ago and love it. I was going to download SlimServer 6.0.2 from the main website today (I think that's the right version number!) but wonder about the 6.1 version....

Is it stable enough to use instead of the 6.0.2? I don't mind a few minor bugs and I would love to see what is in the upcomming versions.

Also... If I download the 6.1 version can I just reinstall the older (official) 6.0.2 over the top of it to revert back to a stable Slimserver?

Thanks for any help
Paul

mherger
2005-05-30, 02:36
> Is it stable enough to use instead of the 6.0.2? I don't mind a few
> minor bugs and I would love to see what is in the upcomming versions.

6.1 is under development. This means it can work perfectly well one day
and be broken the other. It might be best to watch the checkins mailing
list (http://lists.slimdevices.com/archives/checkins/) - when there's no
major change for a few days, this means the version is rather stable. If
there are bigger changes, stay away for a few days until it's stabilized.
Right now it's rather quiet, might be a good moment to give 6.1 a try.

I've been running 6.1 nightlies for quite some time now. Not always the
very latest, but without major problems (crashes).

> Also... If I download the 6.1 version can I just reinstall the older
> (official) 6.0.2 over the top of it to revert back to a stable
> Slimserver?

It's better to keep a copy of your 6.0 installation as a backup. There
have eg. been changes to the radio plugins which aren't compatible with
the reinstall-on-top approach.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

JJZolx
2005-05-31, 16:52
I got my squeezebox around 2 weeks ago and love it. I was going to download SlimServer 6.0.2 from the main website today (I think that's the right version number!) but wonder about the 6.1 version....

Is it stable enough to use instead of the 6.0.2? I don't mind a few minor bugs and I would love to see what is in the upcomming versions.

I've also been running 6.1 (on Windows) for two or three weeks now with no major problems to note. I generally download and install the latest nightly each morning. I haven't seen anything that I'd call a stability problem.

Also... If I download the 6.1 version can I just reinstall the older (official) 6.0.2 over the top of it to revert back to a stable Slimserver?

I'd recommend uninstalling first if you later downgrade. On Windows this only takes a minute or two. Of course, you'll have to rescan your library after deleting everything. Version upgrades in place haven't been a problem for me, but others have run into problems that only an unistall/reinstall have fixed.
________
ipad games (http://macgame.org)

max.spicer
2005-06-01, 11:22
I use subversion to upgrade my slimserver. I'm currently on the trunk, but was wondering what would happend if I used subversion to switch to the 6.0x branch. My main concern is that my sb2's firmware has been upgraded to add in the squeeze network functionality. If I now switched to 6.0x, would the firmware be downgraded again, or would I keep the current version. Would the current firmware version have any problems with 6.0x?

Max

dean
2005-06-01, 11:58
As a glutton for punishment, I have my home system set up to
automatically update to the latest 6.1 release every night.

It's very rare that I notice any issues with basic music playback and
it's great to see the latest new features.

-dean