PDA

View Full Version : StdIo?



Fred
2005-05-29, 15:37
Hello,

Can anybody tell me what is the point of StdIO.pm? Right now commands do
CLI->StdIO->Command.pm. Any good reason for that? Anything or anybody
using StdIO?

In other terms, can we get rid of it? :-)

(For the async CLI, it makes things a little bit complex as there are
actually 3 sources to track: external, stdio or cli. Removing stdio
would simplify things).

Thanks

Fred

Dan Sully
2005-05-31, 14:02
* Fred shaped the electrons to say...

>Can anybody tell me what is the point of StdIO.pm? Right now commands do
>CLI->StdIO->Command.pm. Any good reason for that? Anything or anybody
>using StdIO?

I believe the best person to answer this is Dean. He's currently away though,
and will be back tommorow evening.

>In other terms, can we get rid of it? :-)
>
>(For the async CLI, it makes things a little bit complex as there are
>actually 3 sources to track: external, stdio or cli. Removing stdio
>would simplify things).

I'm all for getting rid of useless/redundant code.

-D
--
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Dan Sully
2005-05-31, 14:07
* Dan Sully shaped the electrons to say...

>* Fred shaped the electrons to say...
>
>>Can anybody tell me what is the point of StdIO.pm? Right now commands do
>>CLI->StdIO->Command.pm. Any good reason for that? Anything or anybody
>>using StdIO?
>
>I believe the best person to answer this is Dean. He's currently away

Answering my own question - I believe the abstraction layer is there to
handle both xPL & CLI. *sigh* creature feep.

-D
--
On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Fred
2005-05-31, 15:53
AFAIK, xPL does not use CLI or STDIO. It's direct to xPL.pm.

Let's wait for the man. I lived with Stdio.pm for the last 12 months, I
can wait till tomorrow :-)

Fred


Dan Sully wrote:

> * Dan Sully shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> * Fred shaped the electrons to say...
>>
>>> Can anybody tell me what is the point of StdIO.pm? Right now commands
>>> do CLI->StdIO->Command.pm. Any good reason for that? Anything or
>>> anybody using StdIO?
>>
>>
>> I believe the best person to answer this is Dean. He's currently away
>
>
> Answering my own question - I believe the abstraction layer is there to
> handle both xPL & CLI. *sigh* creature feep.
>
> -D

dean
2005-06-01, 12:40
The idea behind the stdio module was to be able to use the CLI from
standard in and standard out when starting the server, rather than
connecting to a TCP socket. Could also be extended to use named
pipes if that would be useful to anybody.

I found it useful for testing a while back, but haven't used it in a
while. I don't know if anybody else is, but I'd just as soon leave
it as it's not harming anyone.


On May 31, 2005, at 3:53 PM, Fred wrote:

> AFAIK, xPL does not use CLI or STDIO. It's direct to xPL.pm.
>
> Let's wait for the man. I lived with Stdio.pm for the last 12
> months, I can wait till tomorrow :-)
>
> Fred
>
>
> Dan Sully wrote:
>
>
>> * Dan Sully shaped the electrons to say...
>>
>>> * Fred shaped the electrons to say...
>>>
>>>
>>>> Can anybody tell me what is the point of StdIO.pm? Right now
>>>> commands do CLI->StdIO->Command.pm. Any good reason for that?
>>>> Anything or anybody using StdIO?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I believe the best person to answer this is Dean. He's currently
>>> away
>>>
>> Answering my own question - I believe the abstraction layer is
>> there to
>> handle both xPL & CLI. *sigh* creature feep.
>> -D
>>
>
>