PDA

View Full Version : squeezebox 2 and new power supply

gandt
2005-05-27, 02:34
Attention all tweakers...

I've been using my sb2 for a couple of weeks now and have been seriously comparing its peformance to that of my jolida jd100s (a sort of beefed up jolida jd100a for those that know it) - I would dearly love to just use streamed music - the pure usability plus the ability to suprise yourself with your own record collection are something I really rate. I have a pretty audiophile system - tact rcs2 room correcting pre amp, tact 2175 power amp and dali helicon speakers and both the jolida and sb2 are connected via decent digital interconnects to the digital inputs on the tact. Ive been comparing them closely and my conclusions:

a) sb2 wins on detail and soundstage
b) jolida wins on - lets call it oomph - the sb is just a little "held back" in some way (never can find the right words!)

Ive noted in the past that "oomph problems" are often fixed by upgraded power supplies and have found a Russ Andrews unit that looks like it would work with the SB2 - has anybody tried new supplies on their sb2 and care to report on differences they do or don't hear before i cough up 90 quid?

graham

max.spicer
2005-05-27, 04:59
This is being discussed in detail in other threads in the Audiophiles forum. Please have a quick look through the subjects of the other threads and you'll quickly find what you're looking for.

Max

kevin
2005-05-27, 16:49
Attention all tweakers...
a) sb2 wins on detail and soundstage
b) jolida wins on - lets call it oomph - the sb is just a little "held back" in some way (never can find the right words!)

Hmm, could this have something to do with the fact that the Jolida JD100 has a tubed output stage?

It might be interesting to try something like the Musical Fidelity X10 tube buffer between the SB2 and dac (or sb2 and preamp if you're using the analog outputs) to see how it compares when going through a similar signal path.

(Note: Not suggesting that anyone throw around any more money--just tossing this up as an idea as to why you're hearing a difference there... :)