PDA

View Full Version : "Various Artists" - Bug 288



radish
2005-05-26, 11:12
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=288

As we've just passed the 1 year anniversary of this bug being raised I was wondering if we could get an update on any progress? Simply put, the idea is to allow slimserver to (optionally) put compilation albums in their own category and not include the artists on such albums in the regular "browse by artist" menus.

To give you an idea of the scale of the issue, I have around 9000 soungs (~700 albums), but over 4000 artists. "Browsing" that on the SB display is not particularly friendly :) If it were cut down to just artists who had at least one entire album, it would probably be down to under 200 and MUCH more useful.

Cheers!

dijon
2005-05-26, 12:46
hear hear!! i have also been eagerly awaiting this - but...

i would like the option to list the compilation album under the 'browse by
artists' section. as i stated on the bug report list, if i had the album
'rushmore soundtrack' i would like it to appear next to 'rush' in the
artists. (if i actually owned a rush album that is..but the point is the
same)

on import, slimserver would detect this from the tags. it would see that
while the album name was the same for each track, the artists would be
different. it would then sort it according to the stated preference (either
a various artists section, or by album title under 'browse by artists')

because i do all my music browsing by artists, i'm afraid that a various
artists category would never get browsed (by me anyway). however it is done
i would like to see the end of artists containing 1 album and 1 song. this
would probably cut my artist list by about a quarter and make browsing via
the squeezebox much faster and more pleasant.

according to the bug report (which i added to as of version 5.4.0) this
feature was awaiting the database backend. well...it's here!

so, any updates on this?
----- Original Message -----
From: "radish" <radish.1pniez (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2005 2:12 PM
Subject: [slim] "Various Artists" - Bug 288


>
> http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=288
>
> As we've just passed the 1 year anniversary of this bug being raised I
> was wondering if we could get an update on any progress? Simply put,
> the idea is to allow slimserver to (optionally) put compilation albums
> in their own category and not include the artists on such albums in the
> regular "browse by artist" menus.
>
> To give you an idea of the scale of the issue, I have around 9000
> soungs (~700 albums), but over 4000 artists. "Browsing" that on the SB
> display is not particularly friendly :) If it were cut down to just
> artists who had at least one entire album, it would probably be down to
> under 200 and MUCH more useful.
>
> Cheers!
>
>
> --
> radish
>

kdf
2005-05-26, 23:30
the miracle of bugtracking means that you get updates from looking at the
bugtracker. no updates there, usually means little in the way of an update if
you wave around asking for an update.

dijon
2005-05-27, 06:55
i read this 3 times and i haven't a clue what it means!

----- Original Message -----
From: "kdf" <slim-mail (AT) deane-freeman (DOT) com>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 2:30 AM
Subject: Re: [slim] "Various Artists" - Bug 288


> the miracle of bugtracking means that you get updates from looking at the
> bugtracker. no updates there, usually means little in the way of an
update if
> you wave around asking for an update.
>

kdf
2005-05-27, 07:41
Quoting dijon <troven (AT) gmail (DOT) com>:

> i read this 3 times and i haven't a clue what it means!

it means, if you dont see anything in the actual bug report, there is NO update.

radish
2005-05-27, 08:48
My experience with bug tracking systems is obviously different to yours. It's obvious no patch has been committed as that would be in the tracker, but that doesn't mean that no-one is looking at it, or has looked at it and decided it's not worth doing, or whatever. Maybe as a result of my email someone who didn't know about the issue but is in a position to fix it will now take a look?

kdf
2005-05-27, 10:00
squeeky wheel right? good luck

JJZolx
2005-05-27, 10:32
squeeky wheel right? good luck

Let's see... You feel something very important needs to be implemented. You and others vote it out of sight in the bugzilla database. You see little if any work or even dialog on the subject in either bugzilla or on these lists. So, what do you do next? You ask a question of the developers regarding what is being done about the issue. More importantly, you bring to the attention of other Slim Devices customers the lack of attention being given to a very popular year-old request that has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth.
________
herbal health (http://herbalhealthshop.com)

stinkingpig
2005-05-27, 11:17
JJZolx wrote:
> kdf Wrote:
>
>>squeeky wheel right? good luck
>
>
> Let's see... You feel something very important needs to be
> implemented. You and others vote it out of sight in the bugzilla
> database. You see little if any work or even dialog on the subject in
> either bugzilla or on these lists. So, what do you do next? You ask a
> question of the developers regarding what is being done about the issue.
> More importantly, you bring to the attention of other Slim Devices
> customers the lack of attention being given to a very popular year-old
> request that has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth.
>
>

There are popular feature requests that do not get implemented. This is
life in software land. There are also squeaky wheel users who get very
exercised about this. A vanishingly small percentage of them actually do
something about it, because when they try, they realize that it is very
complex to do and they drop it.

This means that squeaking about pet features does very little... if the
feature was easy to implement, it would have been done by now. You can
certainly spend lots of energy yelling that SDI doesn't care about its
users, but since that's obviously not true, you'll just decrease the
value of your presence.

I say this as the proud owner of a feature request old enough to have
been logged in sourceforge when this was a Yahoo! list and we enjoyed
the prolix prose of Saly the porn ad :)
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=112 I've looked at fixing it
a few times, and it's still not going to get fixed in the hour or two I
can spare, so there it sits until someone else can get to it.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip since 1996!

kdf
2005-05-27, 16:42
Quoting JJZolx <JJZolx.1ppb8b (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf Wrote:
> > squeeky wheel right? good luck
>
> Let's see... You feel something very important needs to be
> implemented. You and others vote it out of sight in the bugzilla
> database. You see little if any work or even dialog on the subject in
> either bugzilla or on these lists. So, what do you do next? You ask a
> question of the developers regarding what is being done about the issue.
> More importantly, you bring to the attention of other Slim Devices
> customers the lack of attention being given to a very popular year-old
> request that has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth.

and someone answers, saying there is nothing to report...
I'm not going make something up just to avoid making someone upset by giving
them the answer they didn't want to hear.

as for important issues...its a new one every day.

-kdf