PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new server setup

DJMUK
2005-05-21, 09:08
The first thing I should say is that I am completly new to Linux but am a reasonable experienced Windows user.

I bought 'Red Hat Fedora Linux 3 Bible' and sucessfully installed a 'Desktop' system on a test machine. The only major problem I had was where to put my test music files. I first tried a directory below my /home directory but SlimServer kept telling me it was an invalid directory. So I moved them to a directory under the SlimServer installation directory and all worked well to my SB2. The slimServer is the 6.1 trunk by the way.

I would now like to setup my new music server:

P4 2.8Ghz
1GB RAM
2 x 400GB Hard Drives

I would really appreciate some advise on the folowing:

1. Where is the 'correct' place to install my FLAC files (about 400GB worth at present)? Is seems the /Home directory is the Linux equivelent of Windows 'My Documents' for day to day documents but how about FLAC files which have to be used by the SlimServer User as well as myself (for say tag management)?

2. Under Windows I would, of course, have had 'C' & 'D' drives and would have split the FLAC files between them i.e artists A to L on 'C' and M to Z on 'D'. Under Fedora it creates partitions for /Boot and /Swap and the remainder of the total of the two drives is combined into a / partition. Is there any problem with this depending on your answer to 1. above? What partitioning scheme would you recommend?

3. For backup I have 2 x 300GB Maxtor One Touch extertnal HDD's. In view of 2. above will I be able to split a backup between them or can they somehow be combine into one 'virtual' drive of 600GB by Fedora?

Any help would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

David

Patrick Dixon
2005-05-21, 10:37
I would create a directory /Music and put everything below that.

I actually use /Music/Collection/... & /Music/Playlists/...

You need to ensure these directories have read & write permissions set appropriately. As su "chmod -r 777 /Music" will set read, write, execute for everyone, but you could write protect your ripped music files for greater protection. Someone here's probably already written a script to write protect all .flac files in a directory tree (he says hopefully ...)

I think the only way you can put the two 300GB drives together is as a RAID0 - but then if one fails you'll loose the lot.

BTW, slimserver will put all the music together however you split them between say, /Music/Collections/Music1/... & /Music/Collections/Music2/... - providing that you use the directory structure and tagging consistently. So you could have all your files ripped to-date in one 'Collection', and rip new CDs to a new 'Collection'.

DJMUK
2005-05-22, 10:30
I would create a directory /Music and put everything below that.

I actually use /Music/Collection/... & /Music/Playlists/...

You need to ensure these directories have read & write permissions set appropriately. As su "chmod -r 777 /Music" will set read, write, execute for everyone, but you could write protect your ripped music files for greater protection. Someone here's probably already written a script to write protect all .flac files in a directory tree (he says hopefully ...)

I think the only way you can put the two 300GB drives together is as a RAID0 - but then if one fails you'll loose the lot.

BTW, slimserver will put all the music together however you split them between say, /Music/Collections/Music1/... & /Music/Collections/Music2/... - providing that you use the directory structure and tagging consistently. So you could have all your files ripped to-date in one 'Collection', and rip new CDs to a new 'Collection'.

Thank you very much for your help. I have been experimenting today and now have a working system based on a slight modification of your suggestion.

In case it is of use to anybody else what I did was to amend the auto partitions created by Fedora so that I now have the following:

Disk 1 (400GB) has
WinXP Pro (25GB)
/Boot (102MB)
In an extended partition:
/Swap (1984MB)
/Music/NonCD (325GB) (includes /Music/Playlists)
/ (rest of free space)

Disk 2 (400GB)has
- /Music/CD (all of the disk)

I can now backup each drive to one of the Maxtor external drives, whilst they remain under 300GB each, and archive any excess to DVD or another external drive.

Thanks again.

David