PDA

View Full Version : Problems finding SlimServer

Dan
2005-05-20, 22:54
SETUP
Squeezebox2 firmware 11; Windows XP SP2; Slimserver 6.0.3; wireless network
consisting of a Buffalo WHR2-A54G54 access point (802.11g) with latest
firmware; tower PC with a Buffalo wireless LAN card and laptop with same.
Using WPA-PSK for security. Wireless strength 99% (currently parked next to
the PC for setup).

PROBLEM
I can scan and acquire the for SID for my network, enter password, be
connected to the network and get my IP address automatically, ping (from my
PC) the Squeezebo BUT the Squeezebox cannot connect to the SlimServer on the
PC. The Squeezebox just says "Connecting to SlimServer..." and after 10
seconds the screen goes blank. I have installed Softsqueeze and it seems to
work fine.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing the problem?

Dan

mherger
2005-05-21, 00:17
The Squeezebox just says "Connecting to SlimServer..." and after 10
seconds the screen goes blank.

Open the necessary ports on your Windows' firewall. You'll find more information in the FAQ of the server's help section:
http://localhost:9000/html/docs/faq.html#networking

Dan
2005-05-21, 01:08
Michael, thanks, but these ports are open.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:beginners-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com]On Behalf Of mherger
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 4:17 PM
To: beginners (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
Subject: [SlimDevices: Beginners] Re: Problems finding SlimServer

Dan Wrote:
> The Squeezebox just says "Connecting to SlimServer..." and after 10
> seconds the screen goes blank.

Open the necessary ports on your Windows' firewall. You'll find more
information in the FAQ of the server's help section:
http://localhost:9000/html/docs/faq.html#networking

--
mherger

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

max.spicer
2005-05-21, 04:15
The Squeezebox just says "Connecting to SlimServer..." and after 10 seconds the screen goes blank.
Try pulling the power cable out the back of the SB2, waiting a few seconds and then plugging it back in.

More info:
I found that my SB2 did this yesterday. The router had gone crazy so had to be rebooted. After I'd done this, the SB2 refused to find my slimserver. I pressed the left arrow and checked the settings, but all was well and then told it to connect again. It still failed. I then pulled the power out of the SB2, waited a few seconds and put it back in again. At that point, the SB2 connected to the SlimServer and was fine.

SlimServer 6.0.x (R3244).

Max

jmallan
2005-05-21, 17:20
I also cannot get the squeezebox (not SB2) find the slimserver. Ports are open, it get s an IP addresss but receieve the error:
Cant find slimserver. I cannot use the remote either. Just hangs almost?

mherger
2005-05-21, 23:35
> I also cannot get the squeezebox (not SB2) find the slimserver. Ports
> are open, it get s an IP addresss but receieve the error:
> Cant find slimserver. I cannot use the remote either. Just hangs
> almost?

Have you ever tried to disable the firewall entirely (disconnect from the
internet before you do this...)?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

lumley1
2005-05-24, 16:06
Hmmm, really frustrating. Whether I go auto or manually set IP address, the Squeezebox connects to the wireless network, assumes an IP address but cannot connect to the server that it has been using for months? Pretty sure nothing has changed on either of the two Airport base stations or my PowerMac server.

Firewall ports are open.

Any help or advice greatfully received.

kevin
2005-05-24, 16:37
Hmmm, really frustrating. Whether I go auto or manually set IP address, the Squeezebox connects to the wireless network, assumes an IP address but cannot connect to the server that it has been using for months? Pretty sure nothing has changed on either of the two Airport base stations or my PowerMac server.

Firewall ports are open.

Any help or advice greatfully received.

What IP address is it obtaining automatically, and what IP address did you try to use manually? Also, what is the IP address of the server?

Did you recently upgrade to Tiger? If so, can you double-check and see if the firewall turned itself on or changed its settings in System Preferences -> Sharing -> Firewall?

Are you able to ping the Squeezebox from the Mac?

kevin
2005-05-24, 16:49
Computer/operating system related:
-- Is any antivirus software installed? Possibly Norton Antivirus 2005 with Internet Worm Protection? Does disabling worm protection help?

-- Is any VPN software installed that might be forcing the network routes on that computer to go elsewhere, like through a VPN? (Traffic being misrouted?)

-- Is any third party firewall software installed? This may include: Norton Internet Security, Norton Systemworks, Norton Personal Firewall, BlackIce, PC-Cillin, McAfee Personal Firewall, McAfee Security Center, ZoneAlarm, eTrust, Kaspersky, Sygate Firewall.

-- If other firewall software is installed, can you ensure that it is configured properly to allow ports 3483/tcp, 3483/udp, and 9000/tcp as exceptions? (Note: with some firewall software, even if they ARE added as exceptions, they are STILL blocked)

Networking related:
-- Is the player pingable from the server? (Network connectivity established?) On Windows to try this, click start, click run, type in 'cmd' and hit enter. Then in the DOS prompt key in: ping <IP address of player> and hit enter. On OSX, open up a terminal window and type in the same command: ping <IP address of player>

-- Are the IP that the SB/SB2 obtain automatically on the network on the same subnet as the computer? (ex: 192.168.0.* or 10.0.1.*)

-- Is the server reachable from another computer on your network using a web browser? (http://serverIP:9000/ ex: http://192.168.0.101:9000/) If not it's likely a firewall issue or the server is not running.

lumley1
2005-05-26, 12:09
Kevin, very helpful thanks, but no further forward. I can log straight into the Slimserver from a PowerBook, connecting via the same wireless route. So, I'm pretty sure the issue is with the Squeezebox, not the server or the network.
Is there a "Master Reset" that could clear out any caches etc??

kevin
2005-05-26, 12:26
You can reset the SB1 or SB2 to factory default settings by holding down the ADD(+) button on the remote while plugging the power in, and leaving it held down until the setup menu comes up.

lumley1
2005-06-12, 07:15
Worked out what was going wrong in my setup.

I had added a layer of security by only allowing specified MAC addresses to be able to use my Airport base station. Unfortunately, the MAC address listed in the "Player Settings" page was that of the Ethernet port, not the wireless port.

So, only when I happened to notice the label on the bottom of the SB which lists both addresses, did I work out what was going wrong.

Can I suggest in future versions that both addresses are published in the player settings box. One single digit has given me weeks of frustration.

Alls well that ends well

kevinyoung
2005-06-27, 15:19
after reading this thread I thought that i maybe experiencing the same problem...

but when I look at the label on the underside of my SB there is only 1 MAC address detailed.

Also I can find no mention of *any* mac address under the player settings menu..?

am I missing something?

Kevin

radish
2005-06-27, 17:00
SB1 has two MAC addresses, one for wired one for wireless. SB2 uses the same for both.

kevinyoung
2005-06-28, 02:01
Ah, I suspected that might be the case.
Thanks

Scooter
2005-07-02, 20:33
My $.05:-

On the subject of MAC addresses with wireless networks, if you're using any wireless bridges - make sure they support MAC address pass through (sometimes called "MAC address cloning"), and that it's enabled. Otherwise, you end up with packets from devices using the bridge aquiring the MAC of the bridge instead - which can then fall foul of any filters etc that reference the MAC.

Cheers,
Scoot.